PDA

View Full Version : New Project - Van Der Waerdon Numbers

Nflight
03-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Link to home page is here: http://www.vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers/index.php

Link to team page is here: http://www.vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers/team_display.php?teamid=11

Van Der Waerden Numbers is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to find better lower bounds for these numbers. You can participate by downloading and running a free program that runs on your computer when you're not using it. To participate, Download and run BOINC, and add Project 'vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers/' (for Windows computers only, does not work with Avast). You can also Read our rules and policies. This is a project of Daniel Monroe, who is a student at Takoma Park Middle School.

Background

The sequence of colors BRRBBRRB (where B is blue and R is red) does not have an evenly spaced subsequence of length 3 that are the same color. However, if you add a B to the end, you get BRRBBRRBB, which has the same color blue in positions 1,5, and 9 which are evenly spaced 4 apart. If you add an R to the end, you get BRRBBRRBR, which has R at position 3, 6, and 9. In fact, with only two colors, there is no sequence of length 9 of Bs and Rs that does not have a subsequence of 3 evenly spaced of the same color. Van der Waerden's Theorem states that for any number of colors r and length k, a long enough sequence always has an evenly spaced subsequence of the same color. The smallest length guaranteed to have an evenly spaced subsequence is called the Van Der Waerden Number and is written W(k,r). For example, W(3,2)=9. This project is to find better lower bounds for Van Der Waerden Numbers by finding sequences like BRRBBRRB. See a table of the results so far below.

NeoGen
03-10-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm in there with you Nflight! :)

Dirk Broer
03-11-2015, 12:07 AM
I'm in there with you Nflight! :)

Me too!

P.S. Notice that the thread name is not the same as the project name - Van Der Waerden Numbers

NeoGen
03-11-2015, 04:17 AM
For me who don't know the origins of the name or the original language (sounds like dutch though) it looks hard to spell, or even pronounce... can we just call it "Weird numbers"? :icon_lol: Unfortunately that name is already taken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_number)... :icon_rolleyes:

Dirk Broer
03-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Bartel Leendert van der Waerden (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartel_Leendert_van_der_Waerden), the man behind Van der Waerden's theorem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waerden%27s_theorem) -which leads to the search for Van der Waerden numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waerden_number)- was indeed Dutch.

vaughan
03-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Urrggghhh!! Yet another project to dilute my GHz. Crikey I haven't finished 1M in Universe yet.

Dirk Broer
03-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Urrggghhh!! Yet another project to dilute my GHz. Crikey I haven't finished 1M in Universe yet.

Now that is a clear goal: http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/universe_earth.jpg Ye olde planet Dirt itself!

Nflight
03-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the Team their AMDave, and low and behold if Dirk would turn on some boxen we might be able to maintain #1 PLACE overall. RAC and overall Points we have the 1st Place position. I Have my whole system working like mad in trying to keep us right there! I am about to hit 10K but I am not stopping there heading on up to 100K so I have a few more days of crunching ahead of me!

Dirk Broer
03-14-2015, 11:57 PM
I'll be polishing my NFS 15e badge for the next five days -all 14e WUs error out.
After the NFS challenge I'll give Van der Waerden (pronounce it just like Van der Waarden) a boost...:icon_thumright:

Nflight
03-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Such a spitting and carrying on, I am now getting more computation error then completed units. Time to go back to Poem@home until they work out this bug, and it was going so well. You need to babysit the project every 90 minutes or you can waste precious time in your other projects you have open and lose a position in the world domination position. RATS or as Vaughan calls it Crikkey!

139 reporting only 4 were completed tasks! That sux!

vaughan
03-16-2015, 07:58 AM
I agree Nflight the number of errors happening in the tasks now is worrying. I wonder what caused the problems? It was OK at the start for me.

NeoGen
03-17-2015, 12:22 AM
They might be trying to fix it, I've looked through mine and I have a lot of bad ones too, but I see that mixed in the lot there's a number of WUs being cancelled by the server.

vaughan
03-17-2015, 08:27 AM
I hope they fixed it as I've turned the battle fleet towards it.

Dirk Broer
03-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Out of a total number of 318 WUs I got 220 valid, 60 being proccessed, 24 errors and 14 awaiting validation.
Three of the 'errors' were in fact annulled by the server.

AMDave
03-18-2015, 09:39 AM
It looks like most of the bad eggs have been removed.
Up until 2 days ago it was lots of "error"
Yesterday it was lots of "invalid"
My success rate has shot up today.
YMMV

Nflight
03-19-2015, 12:11 AM
As soon as the Universe Project runs out of Work Units, I will return to this project!

vaughan
03-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Hey guys let's see if we can be first team to reach 1M

Dirk Broer
03-19-2015, 12:18 PM

As soon as the Need for Speed-II challenge has ended -tonight, actually Friday morning 01:00 here- I'll step up my efforts!

Nflight
03-19-2015, 12:52 PM
I reset Universe@home because the system locked up my computer. With that I open the gates of this project so I am back. I will work to reach 100,000 on my end of the 1M goal. The only problem with this project is that it automatically shuts down the GPU and runs all 8 processors. That is not exactly how I like to run my computer, I like it all producing sufficient output and churning out some great numbers. If anyone knows how to get this quirk to cease please come forward with a solution?

As a second note I captured myself at reaching #14th overall, that is something that does not happen to a one machine operator, just about ever! :blob3:

Nflight
03-19-2015, 03:56 PM
OK So here I am barking more info, its one of those days! Lots going on in many different areas!

I forgot how much you crunch till you see actual rise in stats, gaining validation pending status till my hair falls out or I turn ancient - you know like Egyptian mummy's rise from the grave thinking. Please project validate my work units before I exhaust my life here, Geez Louise this is killing me with so much excitement I might just have to step away from this terminal and lose it. Wait I can't lose it I am a leader, we are strong and what am I rambling about again. Wow what a day! Its been one of those days.

On a lighter side of things I found a property to have my project work from; the building was built in 1851. Pretty stoked about this location, more later!

AMDave
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
You can't afford to have more hair fall out :P

I was wrong earlier.
Still running at 28% valid rate.

Also warm again here so no boxen crunchen in the afternoonens.

Dirk Broer
03-19-2015, 09:20 PM
The only problem with this project is that it automatically shuts down the GPU and runs all 8 processors. That is not exactly how I like to run my computer, I like it all producing sufficient output and churning out some great numbers. If anyone knows how to get this quirk to cease please come forward with a solution?

Make a app_config.xml file containing these lines:

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>N</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>

Where N is the maximum number of WUs you want to process simultaneously.
The app_config.xml file (make it in notepad or a likewise basic-as-can-be editor) needs to be in the project folder of the Van der Waerden project in this case.

Dirk Broer
03-19-2015, 09:37 PM

I was wrong earlier.
Still running at 28% valid rate.

Also warm again here so no boxen crunchen in the afternoonens.

My god, fake German is getting contagious.... Haben Sie ihren glibc schon auf version 2.14 für alle Boxen?

Dirk Broer
03-20-2015, 12:31 AM
As soon as the Need for Speed-II challenge has ended -tonight, actually Friday morning 01:00 here- I'll step up my efforts!

01:32 -> First to get NeoGen -this is to AMDave, Nflight and any other member who joins- buys a round! I've put the pedal to the metal...

NeoGen
03-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Catch me if you can!! :icon_mrgreen:

Dirk Broer
03-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Catch me if you can!! :icon_mrgreen:

Pending: 200
In process: 1191

vaughan
03-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Owing to the electricity provider ACTewAGL in Canberra deciding to replace the power pole to my block of apartments today I had to power down my small pharm for the weekend. I won't get a chance to restart everything until Monday night as the VPN is still down. I thought the HP cube would restart uneventfully when the mains got restored. Oh well..

Meanwhile I have the main pharm in Sydney crunching a mix of projects but I'll make sure VDW or is it now called 123 numbers running.

Nflight
03-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Your Right I don't have enough to allow more to fall out! Thanks for the reminder :blob3:

Geez there is more that I want to say here. Wait, hold the horses!

I have been watching my output and the validation and errors carefully. Over the evening hours I placed in my que a marker that had my total errors at nearly 2633, that is a lot of errors. This morning after running the program now on 123numbers,org I find that overnite I only gained 33 more errors and ran nearly 800 work units. The tally means with AMD processors at full tilt I have succeeded in garnering 3rd place overall according to Bok's Stats. THAT IS ALRIGHT WITH ME

Oh Dirk Thank You the App.config file worked grreat. What is it with my speeling lately?

OK viewing the latest stats I have also found that by introducing the App.config file that the total time for each work unit has decreased by nearly 40% each. This means that with too much effort with all the cores working and I am working at the same terminal I was causing delays in getting the time to completion. With the app.config file in place and I am still working the time has decreased so much I may actually get more done with less cores, What a concept !! !! !! :blob3:

1:38 PM EST One last edit for this post, since adding the xml file I have not error-ed any work units!

Nflight
03-20-2015, 06:10 PM
This is a serious Team Effort (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=vdw&team=11), Way to go TEAM :blob3:

Dirk Broer
03-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Pending: 200
In process: 1191

12 hours later, at 4828.79 credits
Pending: 607
In proces: 1451
Awaiting verification: 3

AMDave
03-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Added a few more cores this morning.

NeoGen
03-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Be aware guys... one of my machines was idling with no work and the following error on boinc logs:

3/20/2015 6:02:47 PM | Van Der Waerden Numbers | You used the wrong URL for this project. When convenient, remove this project, then add http://www.123numbers.org/
3/20/2015 6:02:47 PM | Van Der Waerden Numbers | No tasks sent
I guess a project detach/reattach is mandatory

Nflight
03-20-2015, 11:26 PM
B Johansson (http://www.amdusers.com/forum/member.php/613-B-Johansson) has joined the Team Effort! Another good cruncher into the mix! :blob3:

Dirk Broer
03-21-2015, 07:56 AM
The reason the app_config works so good for Nflight might be because use is made from 256-bit AVX instructions.
This is done on a Bulldozer-based AMD CPU -or derived APU- by using two FP units.
Due to the shared FP unit in each module this means that four AMD 'cores' (or two modules) can do the same AVX work as one Intel core....
Am I right in thinking Nflight has set the 'N' in the app_config.xml to 4 -or even 2?

Dirk Broer
03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Added a few more cores this morning.

You'll need them if you want to stay ahead of me!

Nflight
03-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Am I right in thinking Nflight has set the 'N' in the app_config.xml to 4 -or even 2?

Actually Dirk your not even close; The 'N' is set to 7. Once the system allows the GPU to operate then the separate App.config for the GPU kicks in and I run 2 cores alone for the GPU then 6 cores run the CPU processing and allow me one for computing while I am working on my system. And working has become long and arduous but I love it all the same!

Oh and each work unit is just 13 minutes till completed, Woo Hoo!

vaughan
03-21-2015, 11:54 AM
I've updated my machines to the new url 123numbers.org/

Dirk Broer
03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
This is a serious Team Effort (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=vdw&team=11), Way to go TEAM :blob3:

It sure is a team effort (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=vdw), and a darn fine one at that!:icon_wink:

Nflight
03-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Did anyone notice that Daniel the admin for the project joined our Team effort ?

Dirk Broer
03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Indeed he has, and in doing so he is the first of the team to catch NeoGen!

Nflight
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I am starting to feel the ground shake, and the dust is swirling behind me. Could it be the situation has reversed and the big bad wolf is coming to blow down my house, or at least run me over in a great big hurry? I wonder.... ! :blob3:

Dirk Broer
03-21-2015, 08:47 PM
It is just piglet, in his house on wheels with attached rocket engines.

Nflight
03-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Your rocket engines are awfully noisy, I think your afterburners are going to melt if you don't ease off the throttle a bit! Piglet play nice :blob3:

NeoGen
03-22-2015, 12:20 AM
I've been away since yesterday, it appears I missed a lot over here. So is the race over and Daniel won? or is the race now on to catch Daniel? Or are you guys still after me? :)

I don't think I can catch up to Daniel, he's got a whole lot of crunchers there.

vaughan
03-22-2015, 12:46 AM
Maybe we should PM Daniel to invite him to join our forum?

EDIT:
PM sent to Daniel.

Nflight
03-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I've been away since yesterday, it appears I missed a lot over here. Or are you guys still after me? :)

We are coming for you NeoGen :icon_twisted: Just you wait :blob3: While Dirk and I pass you, you lollygagger !

Nflight
03-22-2015, 02:42 PM
400 points Dirk that is all that is left at this moment. The earth is shaking Piglet... :blob3: I can feel the rumble now. I am blinded by the light of the silvery moon; no wait that's piglet mooning me as he zooms past me on his way to catch NeoGen !

Dirk Broer
03-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Honk, Oink, Meep-Meep, ¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!

Dirk Broer
03-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Maybe we should PM Daniel to invite him to join our forum?

EDIT:
PM sent to Daniel.

I do hope he answers your PM. At the moment you can not react in the VDW forum because it creates the error:
"The requested URL /forum_reply.php?thread=15 was not found on this server" at http://www.123numbers.org/forum_reply.php%3Fthread%3D15

I am running into troubles because I have added the project into my BAM! account and BAM! still points to VDW, while new work is only handed out by 123numbers...:(
-at least while you're working under BAM! that is...

Nflight
03-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Daniel friended me through the project I then sent a private message asking him to visit our Forum with a link to the introduce yourself link as an added bonus come here first sign. I also mentioned the PM from Vaughan as a friendly gesture I suggested he bring Dad along for a look see. Remember gentlemen he is only in middle school, so he is a youngster is all probably not even 13 yrs of age!

Dirk Broer
03-23-2015, 11:54 AM

With a bit of luck we can reach the 1M in about 10 days at present speed. SETI.USA has taken notice of our speed as well...

vaughan
03-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Daniel friended me through the project I then sent a private message asking him to visit our Forum with a link to the introduce yourself link as an added bonus come here first sign. I also mentioned the PM from Vaughan as a friendly gesture I suggested he bring Dad along for a look see. Remember gentlemen he is only in middle school, so he is a youngster is all probably not even 13 yrs of age!
No response from him yet.

Wow, didn't realise he was that young. He is doing a damned good job mastering the BOINC project admin duties.

Nflight
03-23-2015, 09:27 PM
NeoGen are you feeling the ground tremble as Dirk approaches? wait till he's within 500 points of you that is when the ground will shakes and you know its just time to step aside and let the man pass you by! :blob3:

Dirk Broer
03-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Relax, I'm still some 8,000 credits away.... (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=vdw)
and for the first time in my crunching history in a project's top-10!:icon_biggrin:

NeoGen
03-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Oh... so that large dust cloud I saw forming behind me, as I run for my life, is not a sandstorm in the Waerden desert... it's Dirk's Armada about to flatten me like a pancake?
The only thing that can save me at this point would be the server running out of work. :icon_lol:

That one guy from SETI.USA has an incredible fleet pointed towards this project, his output has been steadily growing for the last several days... we got to be on our toes with him. :icon_neutral:

AMDave
03-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Oh you mean Zombie. Yup. He's got enough to hassle our team score.

I was going to say watch this fella:
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=vdw&name=2884
He's doing a pretty good individual STOMP job last 3 days.

Nflight
03-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Agreed AMDave, yes we are crunching like a banshee at this moment but we are behind a curtain until tomorrow! I am doing what I can at this time, all output is performing as designed. I could do more but then I would need to sit and babysit this machine with kid gloves while it does 25% more work and gets us to Team Rank 1M first but alas, I can't stay awake for the next 5 days or I would be a Zombie! Great Job by everyone, this Team is AWESOME! :blob3:

Nflight
03-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Let's hear a big round of applause for our newest Team member to join the fray ==> Jason1478963 Welcome to the Team ! ! ! :blob3:

Ramjet
03-25-2015, 01:30 AM
Sorry guys, tried to help by putting a 12 core on the numbers project but can't seem to return a valid result :( . So far I have 59 invalids, 118 inconclusives, 29 pending, 103 errors, and 0 valid. Even ran memtest which produced zero errors, so I guess it's back to WCG. Is anyone noticing any difference between windows and linux?

P.S. that box is running Mint 13

P.S.S. the 103 errors might be from detaching to update the project url.....

Dirk Broer
03-25-2015, 01:36 AM
NeoGen, you can go hide behind Ste\/e, but I will find you even if I have to waltz all over the poorboy (pun intended).

Dirk Broer
03-25-2015, 01:41 AM
Is anyone noticing any difference between windows and linux?

Nope, I am not. My four Buntus run as good as my Windows boxen.
Only the i7 (Win8.1) runs harder than the rest, but the C2Q (Win7) and the i3 (At my son, running Win7) are on the same level of credit as my Quad core FM1's.
My FM2 (running Lubuntu) is -unexpectedly- slightly better than my FM1's, BTW. My AM1 (Ubuntu) holds its own very well.

Nflight
03-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Ramjet - Make sure your connected to the URL www.123numbers.org not the original link that was on the main page. The old link gives out nothing but bad Work units. The new link hardly has any bad ones, go figure!

Ramjet
03-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Upon further investigation, comparing PC's on a single work unit, it appears all the valid results for work I returned were crunched with either Win 7 or Win 8, all the other invalids for the same result came on the linux boxes. Kind of funny seeing the other quorums were crunched by fellow team members. :) I checked several work units, all had the same result. I guess I'm not sure what I can do on my end other than switch to a windows machine.

I originally had the url listed on the project webpage, but after the errors in the message log I updated it to what they recommended. I believe it was http://www.123numbers.org/

NeoGen
03-25-2015, 05:09 AM
NeoGen, you can go hide behind Ste\/e, but I will find you even if I have to waltz all over the poorboy (pun intended).
Hehe :icon_lol:

I honestly don't know how you didn't catch me yet, when I arrived home from work today I was completely expecting to see myself one rank below. Somehow I still have 2,000 credits over you?
Well... I guess by tomorrow morning when I wake up my spot will have been taken. :icon_rolleyes:

Speaking of Ste\/e... try to tip toe around him when you pass by him... he seems to be asleep, so we better not wake him up, or our Team will be in trouble.

AMDave
03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Overall success rate is increasing.

Previous measurement of Valid from Total from start was around 28% (IIRC see earlier post)
Current measurement of Valid from Total from start is now 43%.
So the current moving average success rate must be much higher.
This is a good sign.

Nflight
03-25-2015, 01:04 PM
NeoGen right now I am showing you are at 66,639 while Dirk is at 66,419. So by the time you arrive home this evening Dirk will have certainly passed you. Please, be careful in not waking the sleeping Giant Poor Boy :new_sleeping: certainly has the power to usurp all of us in a single bound.

Dirk Broer
03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Went over Willy and the Poor Boys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_and_the_Poor_Boys) like a dream, only to become stuck with AVG claiming the 123numbers executable is infected with an identity theft virus (my C2Q on Win7), my FM2 system suddenly wanting to do FIND, the i7 is out hunting Primes for PrimeGrid, the A8-3820 is doing MalariaControl, the A8-3850 is doing TN-Grid, the A8-3870K is also doing MalariaControl and the AM1 tries its hand on NFS.

Dirk Broer
03-26-2015, 11:04 PM
With a bit of luck we can reach the 1M in about 10 days at present speed. SETI.USA has taken notice of our speed as well...

We're still right on track!

NeoGen
03-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Well... I almost got railroaded by a high speed freight train had I not jumped out of the tracks just in time. :)

But I'm back on the tracks and keeping the pace right behind you Dirk... I think we will both catch up with Daniel real soon, his output is much lower than I initially expected.

Dirk Broer
03-27-2015, 08:36 AM
You'd better watch for the SETI.Germany guy AMDave warned us for, KidDoesCrunch. He is about to railroad me and U2...and my error rate has climbed alarmingly.

Edit: KidDoesCrunch passed NeoGen, Dirk and Daniel (in that order) in a matter of a day or two...

Nflight
03-29-2015, 11:20 PM
You know it feels good to run over Poor Boy aka SteVe and stay ahead of him for whatever time I can muster. This does feel good at this moment. Oh and to rise up to 100K just a little faster, I stopped Poem momentarily and am running 8 cores of 123 numbers at this time. I know this isn't much to brag about but right at this time I am ranked #6 overall with my hosts output in this project. That to me is a pat on the back and a smile across my face! :blob3:

NeoGen
03-30-2015, 05:10 AM
We are doing excellent Team! And a pat on the back for you indeed Nflight. I only have 10 cores on this project, but it's been working ok so far.

Dirk... what happened? How am I in front of you again? I take my eyes off for a day and everything changes again. But I'm about to catch up with Daniel and reconquer my #2 spot again! :)

Dirk Broer
03-30-2015, 07:48 PM
We're still right on track!

Tomorrow we'll breach the 1 Million credits -tomorrow for me that is. For our US-based members it might even happen today!

Dirk Broer
03-31-2015, 07:02 AM
Tomorrow we'll breach the 1 Million credits -tomorrow for me that is. For our US-based members it might even happen today!

Even binary it looks good: 1,000,111 credits!:wav:

Nflight
03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
WOO HOO I feel very proud that all of us stuck with this project to reach this goal. We need to reach out to Daniel and ask him to post our achievement or does Bok do this on the Free-DC page for this project? Or maybe AMDave does this for our Team effort? Either way I am dancing in the streets with my hands raised over my head I was and still am on the team effort who accomplished this goal. Vaughan with your magnificent fleet of crunchers you are awesome and are on your way to lead this project in first place some time today. Also Dirk with your dancing jelly beans in the post previous to this one, thank you for your support. Hey Neo Gen thank you for helping us achieve this goal. Does it show at all that I am really happy we made it here first, as Vaughan asked us to do just days ago! :blob3:

I have almost 400 work units listed as Validation Inconclusive, that is a whole bunch in my book!

Nflight
03-31-2015, 04:51 PM
This has to be its own post today I am leading the entire project with the most productive Host (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hosts&proj=vdw&sort=today)! :blob3:

NeoGen
04-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Way to go Nflight!! That's an awesome AMD machine there... do you have it overclocked and cooled with liquid nitrogen? :)

Nflight
04-01-2015, 01:59 PM
NO Overclocking, no extra Cooling of any kind except I am running this machine 24/7 in a very cold place. Which is warming nicely as I now sit here in my bare-feet, no more slippers from this winters chill. I am going after a 'Bok' for my total points and have been averaging totals produced and amount of work units values till my eyes fall out. You know Inferential statistics and all.

Vaughan has become #1 in the Project overall passing Zombie67 either late yesterday or early today. Congrats Vaughan :wav: :blob3:

vaughan
04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks, yes I've put as many machines as I have direct control over on this project as I chase first to 1 Million.

NeoGen
04-03-2015, 02:17 AM
I just noticed I passed 100K... cool! I'll keep on going though... I think Dirk is coming up behind me to catch me again :)

Dirk Broer
04-03-2015, 07:08 AM
I just noticed I passed 100K... cool! I'll keep on going though... I think Dirk is coming up behind me to catch me again :)

I just noticed I passed 100K too! I'll keep on going though... I think Nflight is coming up behind me to catch me :)

AMDave
04-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Anyone else experiencing WU / memory / sluggish response problems?

I noticed that over the last 2 weeks that the memory requirement per task started increasing for this project.
I have also noticed that the CPU interrupts are not working very well -> the tasks are hogging the CPU and not handing back very well at all causing desktop lockups in Windows 7 x64.

The main issue of limited memory represents as WU-hang - work units that never finish - which has meant some baby sitting.
Check any of your machines that have around 1.5GB per core. 2GB per core should still be OK at time of writing.

The upshot is that after isolating my other projects from interruption and restricting work units to a suitable RAM-per-core I am suddenly down to 2 cores (2 separate dual core machines) on this project!

Hopefully the trend will not continue.

vaughan
04-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Yes agree with the memory hogging in this project Dave. On the official site there is an app_config.xml file posted that I use now on my 4GB RAM Win7 systems. It limits running tasls to 2 or 3 instead of 4. On a Xeon system of mine with 8GB when it was trying to run 8 threads the tasks were taking 12+ hours. After limiting the system to 7 tasks they now finish in 1-2 hours. This machine is still suffering slow downs so I might limit it to 6 or even 5 concurrent tasks.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>example_app</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Just a heads-up team that I will be slowing my participation in 123 when I reach 1M. I cannot reach the boxen in Canberra as my VPN is down. The boxes continue to crunch. I'll be back there in a week.

Dirk Broer
04-06-2015, 03:19 PM
I had the same problems with FiND until today, when my A8-3850 started to crunch them as a rabbit on steroids -to great dismay of John C. MacAlister I guess

NeoGen
04-07-2015, 02:22 AM
I have one machine running 123numbers with 8Gb of RAM (4 cores) and another with 13Gb (6 cores), so far both seem to be ok but I hope they don't increase the memory requirements again or I may have to lower the number of cores for it, or switch to something else.

AMDave
04-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try the app config when I get time.

AMDave
04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
My project stats are showing 100% invalid since 2am 6th April on all machines.
Aborting and backing off for a while.

AMDave
06-03-2015, 09:22 AM
After a sabbatical from this project, I gave it another run.
100% invalid work unit results on Windows client and linux client.
As someone already pointed out elsewhere this project has ground to an almost complete halt with zero successful results from all users only days away and the admins are not doing anything about it.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=vdw

AMDave
11-17-2015, 09:22 AM
UPDATE on 123Numbers.ord : Van Der Waerden Numbers

The project admin recently broadcast a message out to existing members that a number of issues were fixed.
Testing so far reveals that the results are positive.
For the most part the validator itself was not the problem, it was memory allocation bugs in the clients causing mismatches in the result validation.
The good news is that the project has new clients and this time it is working as intended.
There are still some errors coming back from a few windoze machines but that is being monitored and assessed.
Otherwise all stations are GO!

Dirk Broer
11-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I wait a bit after getting zilch credits for
Invalid (7150) · Error (3913),
which may very well have been caused by crappy programming of the client.

Dirk Broer
09-24-2021, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know more about the status of this project?

Dirk Broer
09-25-2021, 09:20 AM
There seem to be two websites:
http://www.vdwnumbers.org/ that throws a lot of errors and
http://www.123numbers.org/ that doesn't do that
the latter has 3 Jan 2016 as nine days ago though....

vaughan
09-29-2021, 05:07 AM
Both sites appear to be broken. I was unable to login to my account(s); says no such account. That's crazy.