PDA

View Full Version : use multiple machines

Empty_5oul
04-27-2005, 07:36 AM
is i possiblt to have 2 machines pointing to the same username.

i have tired but once i switch to another machine it doesnt like it and brings an informaiton box saying software re-installed then it is fine. However once i switch to another machine i get the same problem.

if this is the case bruce you have gone a long way with 1 machine.

AMDave
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I tried and did not get that.
It just said "do you want to switch to this machine" and I said yes.

Empty_5oul
04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
it does seem to be rather intermittent, some people still couldn't get it working.

from what you get does that mean it can still be on one machine only though ? - at any one time.

AMDave
04-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hm. It could have ignored the data collected on the machine between uploads. I hadn't thought to look at that. I'll probably have the two main machines in windows on the weekend. I'll try to rememeber to test this and find out.

Empty_5oul
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
for me you can switch but you lose what you have as you switch.
i got fed up so made 2 acocunts :thumbleft:

AMDave
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM
just a follow up on the test.
I think you are right. The best answer is multiple accounts.
I installed the client on two machines with the same user ID.
I submitted the stats on one, then tried to submit the stats on the other.
I got the dialog box asking if I wanted the client on that machine to take over the stats collection and it appeared to "ignore" the previously collected stats on that machine when the submission completed.
It was hard to tell though because I am not sure that the Marmot stats update immediately.
So I have left it running on one machine that spends most of the time in windows and be done with it.

I also gave the WhatPulse Linux client a go again.
They meant what they said...it still is not working.
It does run but nasty things start happening to the cursor and application focus and control.
Besides I'm not going to run any DC client as root per their instruction.
Don't be RIDICULOUS !!!