PDA

View Full Version : AMD dual cores are out

NeoGen
06-01-2005, 02:52 AM
Just looking at the yahoo news on the left... :P
It seems desktop dual core AMD chips have been launched. :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't dual core chips slower at running simple applications (not prepared for multiprocessing) because each core is significantly slower than a nowadays chip?

The gain is in running multiprocessor ready software right? The kind that divides the work for both cores or is capable of running a full instance of itself in each core.

NeoGen
06-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Unfortunately I'm reading about it and they only showed off... to be selling is only in the next month or two. :-(

But Tom's Hardware Guide has tested dual cores from Intel and AMD face to face, and it seems that the Mean Green Machine kicked ass! :D

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html

from the conclusion...
"the Pentium D system manages to burn over 200 watts as soon as it's turned on, even when it isn't doing anything. It even exceeds 310 W when working and 350+ W with the graphics card employed! AMD proves that this is not necessary at all: a range of 125 to 190 Watts is much more acceptable (235 counting the graphics card). And that is without Cool & Quiet even enabled."

In a century or two we'll need a small portable nuclear reactor to feed Intel processors or what?? :lol: :lol: