PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Mount AMDEinstein

SpikeAr
06-02-2005, 08:52 PM
As AMDave said, DComputing is more fun on a team, and the AMDusers home page says we all like competition, so here's an additional framework to have some fun with, encourage new team members, and encourage people to keep allocating at least some cycles to their past Einstein@home efforts.

Standing at the base of the MetaFour mountain range, I gaze up at Mount AMDEinstein, a stepped peak which keeps growing; it is currently 182,511 credits and 178 steps high. MetaFour is a strange material that can take any appearance and shape. It is only generated in neurons, throats, and keyboards - an infinitely varied and useful substance, also called insubstantium, it can become very real.

I'm holding a strand of MetaFour (also spelled metaphor), produced by my patient AMD chip cycler, a translucent 190point starting climber's rope, also called a "thread." I'm waiting for it to change to the opaqueness that means it's not pending anymore, but credited, so I can start climbing MtAMDEin.

While I wait, I calculate that this first strand will reach up ten steppes (also called "ranks") to number 168, 25% below Magnum7385, standing on R167. While I wait for my trusty cycler to reel out those next 70 credits, I look all the way uuuuuuup to the lofty summit, where PClop's 5-wheeled cycler is extruding more MetaFouric credit to make Mt Amdein even taller, with a total volume just over 1 1/2 mega-cobblestone.

To keep from becoming discouraged at the lofty heights topped by him, with bcbarnes one-third of the way down at the 124k level, I focus on the next pair of steps, where Thomas Pant is only 30% of the way to the top in his six-wheel lancycler, having climbed six steps and passed Terry in May 2005. Why, I could leave my cycler on nonstop and reach that height in only ... three years!?

Let me look at the base of Mt Amdein instead, where the steps are closely bunched in THE Sleepers Range and give me inspiration:
1000 credits gets me up 37 steps to R141, where Hillmalk snores,
another 1kcredit gets to R118, where sdragon66 snoozes,
one more kcred reaches R104, where Amanda Bengtson sleepwalks,
a fourth kcred reaches R94, but Cory Perrett will be long gone, currently moving at a kcred/week, and
the fifth kcred lets me reach R78, where Bulent barely outpaces noize_addict.

From here it will take another 5kcred to reach R51, where ZooYork strides on ahead of Spiderman (webbing doesn't stick to Metaf-ore).

A 3rd 5kcred reaches R30, where a sleepy jim622 is about to be passed by Molechaser, and
your fourth 5kcred reaches R24, where an allfourwheel drive deeplife is passing a nodding HopHead at nearly 2kcred/week.

Here at R18, 21,600 creds high, the highest any solo-processor climber has gone, the tenacious Luis López Camps moves upward instead of choosing to camp, like all those in the lower Sleeper Range. Honor to you, Luis!

Just ahead of him is josep, the only dual to reach the realm of multiputered lifeforms and just behind is a streaking quad, Gerald Peters, moving onwards at 3kcred/week.

Ahead lie the 16 multis, four sleeping (including the doubledigited SlackPawn and Rogue-3), and 2 (Thomas Pant and bcbarnes) kcred/day blurrers on the last two steppes.

Thus concludes our guidebook to Mount AMDein... Good cycling to all who venture here, crunching upward through the loose MetafOrs/And.
From here you can see all the other peaks of the Distributed Computing Range. Try exploring them too!

Waiting to take my first step, I welcome all other travelers!

Empty_5oul
06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I could leave my cycler on nonstop and reach that height in only ... three years!?

do what you can, everything helps. We are a TEAM so it is not individual production but what we can do as a whole - thought obviously there are inter team competitions and rivalness between members.

AMDave
06-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Now, that is a Post ! =D<

Welcome to the forum, SpikeAr