PDA

View Full Version : Mobile CPU Question

Jeff
06-14-2005, 01:11 AM
My dad has a notebook with a 1400+ AthlonXP. There is a company advertising a laptop with a 3000+ Sempron. He is thinking of upgrading.

I don't know what to tell him. I think the AthlonXP has 512kb L2 cache, and the Sempron only has 128kb L2 cache.

He uses it mainly for word processing and occasionaly watching a DVD.

What should he do?

Thanks for any advice,

Jeff

NeoGen
06-14-2005, 04:26 AM
I think that if he doesn't run any cpu hungry apps (or DC apps :P) then the L2 cache quantity doesn't matter all that much.
Just be aware of the cpu power consumption (and if it has speedstep and those power saving technologies...), see how long the battery lasts, and make sure to throw in plenty of RAM (really... plenty of it) and a fast DVD drive to play the movies. :)

Empty_5oul
06-14-2005, 09:00 AM
if his current one works and is fast enough for what he does, stick with that.
If he needs it faster (i can't see he would for typing and DVD's) then think of upgrading. But as neo points out the battery will die quicker the faster it can process, and if this extra processing is not needed it is a waste - the battery will need recharging more frequently for no real benefit.

and make sure to throw in plenty of RAM (really... plenty of it) check what the ram is though, some 256 sticks are better than 512. 512 looks better form a sales point of view but for the customer may be worse.

vaughan
06-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I've had no success trying to track down a Turion powered notebook. I considered the Acer Ferrari but its an A64 3000 and you pay heaps for the name (and the red case).

I'm currently investigating a Sonoma P4-M 770 2.13GHz ASUS V6000V notebook. Best price so far is AUD$3439 for the ASUS from www.cworld.com.au

My needs are WinXP Pro, Wi-Fi g, at least 1 MB RAM, at least 80 GB 5200 HDD, separate video card ie not shared memory crap, as fast a processor as possible, at least 60 minutes battery life and as light / thin as possible. Prefer DVD RW and FDD too. I'd also like something that doesn't sound like a steam engine when the CPU is running at 100% 24/7 with the cooling fans on full power.

Empty_5oul
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
at least 1 MB RAM
that doesnt seem too much, lol.

i checked your particual site but the Sony Vaio was not there, i dont know if they do that in Australia. but from what i have seen of them they are good. you can dvdrw built in, and rest of that spec (i dont know about in built Fdd) also the screens are high quality.
The prices vary a lot see here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=616 but there is good flexibility.

chaz
06-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Ive heard alot of good things about these;

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

I like the 9880 myself... card reader, built in camera, RAID 0/1, all sorts of goodies.

Empty_5oul
06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
has anyone used/tried DDR2?