PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are working on D2OL?

NeoGen
11-26-2003, 01:48 AM
I've noticed that I'm going up on the ranks within the team at D2OL faster than I should. In 23 days (according to the "age" info on my account in D2OL) I managed to go up from 58th place (last position) to 36th (current position).
Now that's almost going up one position a day, and I've only been running D2OL 2 days for each week. (I'm running several projects at once)
So, if this is the priority project... What is everyone doing?

C'mon people!!! Let's get to work and move up from the 20th place!

p.s. - ok...ok...speech apart, I just wanted to ask something. Is the priority project idea still going on?

p.s.s. - Another question: How many users has Team AMD Users REALLY got? I mean, active users working on some project. Not counting users that for some reason have stopped contributing and haven't restarted anymore.

Bionic_Redneck
11-26-2003, 02:59 AM
The priority preject thing is ignored sometimes or should I say more time than not. If it was a perment thing where we had the same project always our main project but as it stands I will pretty much ignore it too.

We have lots of members that have never even been to the team forum. two projects that come to mind are rsattak and lifemapper

jlangner
11-26-2003, 03:27 AM
I have most of mine on TSC. I have one or 2 pcs I try to put on the priority project. I am on vacation from work and my work pc I have on D2OL must have rebooted or something because stats not going up. I try to help as much as I can on the priority project without letting TSC slip. I think alot of people here have there own "pet" projects if u will and and stay with them, and as like Bionic said some members never come to the website so never know what the priority is. Basicall we need more members and on a good note I have seen several new members show up lately on TSC. I think once you get your project in the top 20, then people look at you as an option to join. There are alot that want join the teams at the bottom. Jm2C

Anonymous
11-26-2003, 04:50 AM
Alright Bionic, you seem to be the one lodging all the complaints. What does everyone need to do to make you happy?

vaughan
11-26-2003, 06:27 AM
I try to spread my efforts over several projects but will focus on one if the need arises. eg, currently I think the large protein on DF is too slow so I'd prefer not to run this application but on the otherhand I won't let Keith get too close :) I'm watching Ubero as I don't want "twistedwire" to knock me off World #8th rank (they are 13,764 behind as I write this and they are doing about 1000 a day, so I guess I'll crank up on Ubero soon!). Recently I've concentrated on D2OL (as the priority project) but also to try to catch Jarmo who defected from our team to Free-DC (traitor) but Jarmo is very strong. I crunched some TSC to help jlanger's request recently. Last night I noticed that I was down a rank in Lifemapper and Grid On Tap so I hit both projects hard and regained my positions. Trouble is ... even with about 18GHz 8O ... there are never enough computers running. :D

Omegatay
11-26-2003, 09:57 AM
TSC is my baby and will be until they have nothing for me to crunch. I went from bottom of the pile to number 9 in less then 3 weeks. I am happy with my progress so far.

Bionic_Redneck
11-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Alright Bionic, you seem to be the one lodging all the complaints. What does everyone need to do to make you happy?

spjeff, I don't see answering someones question as complaining as for the priority project I don't care what you do I will continue to run whatever project I choose.

chaz
11-26-2003, 11:53 AM
D2OL was the priority project like a month ago....
I didnt know it was still "priority", unless im just not paying enough attention.
I will have to agree with Bionic in the fact that the Priority Project is somewhat ignored.........If we cant do it as a team why do it at all?
I mean maybe not pull every machine you have away from the project you prefer to run, but every little bit helps.

What's the point of being a team, if we cant work as one?
Some of these projects i cannot stand, but i will run them if one or more of my teammates needs a hand.

NeoGen
11-26-2003, 01:13 PM
I agree with chaz there. I guess that bottomline is that we need to get organized as a team. I have my favourite projects like everyone else, but I'm willing to run any other project if it's for the good of the team.
I browsed the Priority project forum and I saw some good ideas, but I guess they never got to be implemented. I remember seeing one that was kinda like creating sub-teams of few users for each project and an auxiliary team for boosting up on the team that needed. That might even be crazy enough to work. :lol: But the thing is that we might not have enough users for pulling it out. :cry:

And another problem is, like many users said already, if we focus our strenghts in one project we will most likely drop a lot on all other projects. Indeed, that is true. But isn't the priority project idea just for that? So that we could kick ass in some project instead of being in the mid table on all of them?

Let's think about it people.

jlangner
11-26-2003, 01:27 PM
I think the priority project should be used for:

1) If the regulars on a project notice we are about to get smacked from behind, call in reinforcements. I know from experience, this team will answer your call. The reason this helps, is because alot of the teams will do a priority project as well, but they only do for a week or so (Now team Russia, Discovery, etc. no chance too big). So if you beef up for a week until there attack is over, or as in here, the members get tired of doing that project for more than a week and you can "outlast" them.

2) If the stat crunchers calculate that we need to improve on project ....., and we will jump in DC Overall stats, etc.

Its obvious we don't have the crunchers right now to make us ranked in the top 10 or 20 in every project, but some we can. D2OL, TSC, GOT, Ubero, Lifemapper, etc. When you get to that rank, people will notice you when they are deciding to join, and hopefully they will love AMD, see the name, and join the cause. Other projects like UD and SETI and don't think we could ever get that high. they have just 2 many teams and crunchers to compete with.

As far as subteams, I think we pretty much have anyway, even though not formally. Very few of us don't have a "pet" project, and pretty much stay with it until the call is made.

Jeff
11-26-2003, 02:11 PM
I'm happy that everyone has a positive attitude. Would anyone want to help me run the site? Personally, Vaughan, I had you in mind. You're always on top of things.

vaughan
11-26-2003, 08:26 PM
OK.

Bionic_Redneck
11-26-2003, 11:04 PM
just a thought... why doesn't amdusers have a default project?

vaughan
11-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Let's have a vote for Bionic Redneck's idea of having a default project. Anyone care to comment on this or build on the idea? Let's be positive about the direction we want our team to take and not degenerate into bickering.

Jeff
11-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Everyone has their favorite project. I wouldn't want everyone to take their boxed off the faves. The purpose of a priority project was for each person to volunteer CPU power in a determined project. Not all boxes.

Right now I am running SOB. We can move up a lot if everyone contributed.

NeoGen
11-27-2003, 12:34 AM
Team AMD Users is widely spread on a lot of projects, but most of the users are concentrated on just a few projects. In the past couple of weeks I've only been hearing about D2OL, SOB, TSC, Distributes Folding, and maybe a couple of others more. I may be wrong but it makes me think that the core of the team is focused on those few projects, and then we have very few other users that work on the rest of the projects. I guess this must be a kind of "natural selection" going on here, and eventually some projects will be abandoned. (some probably have already been "unnoficially abandoned" due to no one working on them for a long time)
Could anyone verify my theory of the abandoned projects? Maybe if someone could check on the stats of those "less-talked-about" projects, we'd have a surprise... :(

Bionic_Redneck
11-27-2003, 01:02 AM
The idea I had was not to intice people so much into just one project so much but I think someone that some how made it to the website one way or the other might get a little overwelmed with so many project going on at once without a default one but let me stress not to abandon the other project by any means even without big numbers in stats we still could recieve new members. I was looking at the climate prediction team stats on statsman and there is lots of new members.

jlangner
11-27-2003, 04:02 AM
NeoGen, I don't have the numbers, but if you look at the stats page for the different projects and see who is participating and check back here, I'll bet you find that no more than 10 - 20% of them have ever posted here. I maybe way wrong on this but I know if I look at Lifemapper, Seti, UD there are plenty of members still performing that I have never seen there name before. As far as being able to spread out on more projects, that is great, but we need more members to do successfully so we want be spread too thin. I have tried and tried to convince my friends to join, but have had no luck yet. If everyone could get someone to join it would help, but from experience I know it is hard to do.

Jeff
11-27-2003, 05:18 AM
This is true. Many of our crunchers do not come here, either because they don't know it exists, or just because they were just looking for a team.

NeoGen
11-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Somehow the live stats on the main page doesn't show up for me for a couple of days already. It just stays as a white rectangle there and the page never finishes loading. Don't know what happened or what did I do...

I took a quick peek at the stats pages of distributed.net and found an example of what I was saying before.
In RC5-72 the only person submitting work for over the past 3 months has been Chaz.
In OGR25 besides Chaz there's also myself, recently registered there and only reporting work one day a week. (Other projects in other days)
On Find-A-Drug, only 2 users out of 13 have the "Yellow status" behind there names, which I guess it means that they have returned work in the last couple of days.
And on the Folding@Home stats page there are no dates but it says on top that there are only 4 processors active in the last 50 days, out of 18 people registered there.

There might be more examples like this. And this is what I was talking about before as somekind of a "natural selection". Some projects have already very few people working on them, and if those few people change, it'll stop. We can't... or better saying, *shouldn't* let that happen... right people?

Bionic_Redneck
11-27-2003, 11:39 AM
some of those projects never were popular with many people here but I see a trend toward projects that show a stats increases more often.

Omegatay
11-27-2003, 11:56 AM
You nailed the nail right on the head spjeff69. When I joined Amdusers I was just looking for a team to join. Being a fan of AMD, and the fact I have a AMD machine, I thought I fitted right in. Which when most people look for a team, they are doing just that. Most don't even look to see if the team has a website.

I really like TSC and want to stick with it. I really don't want 10 different crunchers on my system. Then again, when I signed up I had no clue that AMDusers also crunched several other projects. Ehehe. I am not trying to be a party pooper, I am just saying I am happy where I am for the moment.

jlangner
11-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Same here Omegatay. I was on another team for TSC when I first started, for about 6 weeks, I didn't like it and to chose where I thought I would fit in best I went thru the list of top 50 teams and the name AMD Users @ #46, stuck out to me, and here I am.

BTW, NeoGen, I had the same problem yesterday on the stats bar, but today it shows up fine.

Jeff
11-27-2003, 03:38 PM
I helped in rc5-72
http://stats.distributed.net/participant/phistory.php?project_id=8&id=422411

I am having same problems with stats. Alistair's host might be having some issues.

BC
06-27-2004, 08:56 PM
To jump back a bit if I may, Would it be within reason to suggest we vote on a default project or a default 'distribution' of our efforts?

Just thinking that if we coordinate as a team, then implement, we might be better off.

My personal thought is a default team project or project spread, and then each user can use the remainder (or visa versa) on his/her favorite project.

If that's decided... may I also suggest we report back and have a 'sign up' sheet or forum where we have all the info about who is where and in what percentages?

Side note: I am letting people who are AMD users and not members of the site to consider joining.

BC

AMDave
06-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Time for some us non-contributing members to make ourselves better known then rather than just following the crowd.
:)
Hi guys. My name is Dave (in Australia) and I joined AMD Users recently because there is more value in a concerted effort - and because my favourite PC (of 3) is my AMD Duron 1.3Ghz (It is still kicking my 2.6Ghz Celeron's butt). You can find my name now on some of the Stat lists. I have not yet moved all of my stats over. I guess that will catch up as we concentrate on different projects.

I have previously only contributed to projects like Folding at Home, UD Grid and SaH as a single user, then the BOINC beta. But Seti's transfer to BOINC is giving me trouble. I have a dial up modem, so I have to reconfigure my network with a proxy so all PCs have access to the modem, but then I don't want them to call out whenever they want etc..another story.

I think the difference here is that some people like the competition side of DC and others have their favourite projects. I moved all my PCs to D2OL as a result of the forum which seemed to vote for a catch up there. But I expect that we will switch back to others once that goal is reached. My intention is that if I have any stress with a particular project I will switch back to a favourite while I fix/get around the issue.

Any way, nice to meet you all. Thanks to the guys for creating the group and this site. Its a lot better than some other Team sites we've seen.

Beerknurd
06-30-2004, 02:19 AM
It's great to have you aboard Dave. Load up D2OL and crunch away!!!!

vaughan
06-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Welcome fellow Aussie :D
We're focussing on D2OL currently but we always need help in the other projects. Hope you switch your stats to our team.
Cheers mate
Vaughan

jlangner
06-30-2004, 03:01 AM
Welcome!!!

Also congrats team!! We have really put some big numbers up this week!! :lol: :lol:

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Any way, nice to meet you all. Thanks to the guys for creating the group and this site. Its a lot better than some other Team sites we've seen.

Welcome Dave. Feel free to crunch whatever you like.

Beerknurd
06-30-2004, 11:32 AM
It's great to have you aboard Dave. Load up D2OL and crunch away!!!!

I was just kidding. It is good to have you, but you can crunch whatever you want to...............

BC
06-30-2004, 11:41 AM
A somewhat 'out of context' question, but still worthy of posting I think.

Predictor is working on their 'phase 2' of the processing... It appears (if I understand the bioscience correctly) a replacement for D2OL which has no new work being done on it.

What do we do then?

BC

AMDave
06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
BC, I think that Predictor, being run by Scripps, is a separate project and that D2OL will continue. Is there something I am missing ? Is Scripps associated with the Rothsberg institue ? not poking fun here.. I really don't know. A lot of these projects have affiliations that they don't put on their sites.

Another look at the stats shows we have lost a place to a Team of 1 "FBK" with "computers hidden". Thats probably enough crunch power to overtake vaughan at full throttle.

I was going to say I started running D2OL for the last few days because Predictor & SETI (BOINC) wouldn't give me work units each time I checked. Seems they under estimated the uptake and keep running out of targets. Just tried again and still nothing from SETI, but Predictor gave me another 3. They have added more targets. I'll crunch these and see what happens next. Remember that they are still in alpha stage so it's still a bumpy road.

OFF TOPIC - ClimatePrediction is going to BOINC beta, accepting interest by email - I have sent them my request for an alpha test:
http://climateprediction.net/misc/beta.php

BC
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
BC, I think that Predictor, being run by Scripps, is a separate project and that D2OL will continue. Is there something I am missing ? Is Scripps associated with the Rothsberg institue ? not poking fun here.. I really don't know. A lot of these projects have affiliations that they don't put on their sites.

Another look at the stats shows we have lost a place to a Team of 1 "FBK" with "computers hidden". Thats probably enough crunch power to overtake vaughan at full throttle.

I was going to say I started running D2OL for the last few days because Predictor & SETI (BOINC) wouldn't give me work units each time I checked. Seems they under estimated the uptake and keep running out of targets. Just tried again and still nothing from SETI, but Predictor gave me another 3. They have added more targets. I'll crunch these and see what happens next. Remember that they are still in alpha stage so it's still a bumpy road.

OFF TOPIC - ClimatePrediction is going to BOINC beta, accepting interest by email - I have sent them my request for an alpha test:
http://climateprediction.net/misc/beta.php

I have requested formal alpha tester status from Predictor as well ... the project leader is leaving town this morning for trip (she says).. we'll see.
I've known about climate prediction for some time... it won't move until Seti is running... (nothing will according to rumor mill)

here is the main page to predictor... there is a lot you can read without signing up... They are associated with a lot of national stuff.. Dr. David Anderson, himself requested help getting this one going from what I was told...... unless you are he..... then i must have both feet surgically removed from my mouth and hand you your gavel back.... LOL

http://predictor.scripps.edu/index.php

Our Predictor stats are 8th RAC and 8th Total... fairly midline on both, but not for long.... I will need help as our top members have gone inactive if we want any strong presense there.

If we say to forego Predictor, then I will re-prioritize and fire up D2OL to 100%.

*EDIT* --- I am spinning up on predictor and have 700+ pending and solid 200+ per day... that would help, wouldn't it? *END EDIT*

BC

AMDave
06-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Ah the CASP connection. See what you mean.
No I'm not the good Dr Anderson.
And I didn't intend to sound off-hand.
200 per day is a mighty effort.
I can't make much of a dent in that.
I am on dial-up still (28.8Kbps modem).
D2OL gives me a nice amount of work.
Even though I have raised the #days work in BOINC it still only gives me 3 units so I have to keep connecting to feed it.
Costing too many calls. :oops: Phone bill went up. :!: Wife got pissed off. :twisted:
Will try to get a payrise & get onto Broadband then I can really help you.
:idea:

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
A somewhat 'out of context' question, but still worthy of posting I think.

Predictor is working on their 'phase 2' of the processing... It appears (if I understand the bioscience correctly) a replacement for D2OL which has no new work being done on it.

What do we do then?

BC

As teammate I want you to crunch for D2OL, as a friend just crunch for Predictor, you could be there our top member.

ahab3333
06-30-2004, 06:14 PM
i think we need to have one default project so that newbes will have a clear choice if they are unsure one which project to choose. this default project should not be a project that completed, such as ubero. these projects may be fun but the point of DC is to contribute to science, if the project is not doing anything whats the point.

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 06:17 PM
i think we need to have one default project so that newbes will have a clear choice if they are unsure one which project to choose. this default project should not be a project that completed, such as ubero. these projects may be fun but the point of DC is to contribute to science, if the project is not doing anything whats the point.

Which projects do you think are most useful to science?

BC
06-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Ah the CASP connection. See what you mean.
No I'm not the good Dr Anderson.
And I didn't intend to sound off-hand.
200 per day is a mighty effort.
I can't make much of a dent in that.
I am on dial-up still (28.8Kbps modem).
D2OL gives me a nice amount of work.
Even though I have raised the #days work in BOINC it still only gives me 3 units so I have to keep connecting to feed it.
Costing too many calls. :oops: Phone bill went up. :!: Wife got pissed off. :twisted:
Will try to get a payrise & get onto Broadband then I can really help you.
:idea:

Sounds like you need the BOINC 3.19 client.... Reset your preferences to 1.5 to 2 days and update BEFORE you upgrade.

The executable, as distributed by SSL is at:

http://www.tumoeng.com/boinc_319.zip the exe is inside.

shut down all BOINC before upgrading... then upgrade. it will auto-benchmark when restarted.

Once you see how many WUs you get the first download, adjust accordingly..... you can stay disconnected while it runs and then 'un-disable network access' when ready to upload.

also do NOT leave the window open or minimized ... hit the X and close the window.. that frees up the Mutex inside and lets its run full speed.

enjoy

Beerknurd
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
So is D2OL still our priority project. Or should we be spitting between Predictor and D2OL????

BC
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I think D2OL is our priority until Predictor is ready... Weiner and a few have said they want to wait until it's live...... I think we can start the learning curve when it hits beta.... it will let us get all our machines tuned up and ready to go. We can get the jump (or avoid getting behind) in comparison to US-Distributed who has been involved with Boinc/Seti.

BC

Beerknurd
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Hmmm... D2OL site is down this morning......
Can't get my stats...

HTTP ERROR: 404 /teamProfile.jsp
RequestURI=/memberServices/teamProfile.jsp

WienerDog
07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
heres a good stats page Beerknurd http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/main.php
they got the stats this am before D2OL went down

vaughan
07-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Sorry I've been absent for a day or so but I'm away in Perth now and have a VERY flaky dial-up connection at best here.
I vote we should concentrate on D2OL as the priority until we knock off Team-TNT. This will (1) show our power (2) give BOINC time to mature. I tried joining Seti at Boinc and was unable to connect. Similarly I tried Predictor but had the same problems. D2OL just keeps on working for me so I'll continue with this for a bit longer.
Aussie Dave - I use Optus cable - fast, very reliable and not too expensive compared to ADSL. With ADSL its the download charges that hurt. Wife cannot complain about the phone bills!

AMDave
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Waaay off topic....
You can see the end of the cable from my house @!X##& Darn it.
LOL. That's as far as it goes. Our Distribution pillar is another 1 klm past our house, in the calander for 5 years time. ADSL will be the next option. At least I am on pure copper pair all the way to the exchange, which is just over the distance they certify ADSL for.
Oh well. At least she likes the view. :roll:

Hey I notice this thread has been going since Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:48 pm . Should we start a new one or plan a Birthday party :lol: LOL

em99010pepe
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
I vote we should concentrate on D2OL as the priority until we knock off Team-TNT.

It's Team Ninja not Team-TNT.

AMDave
07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Ninjas in delivery trucks ?

Are we gaining on them?
Our production is up from 421.7 per day to today's hit of 1609.
I forgot to grab their starting figure though so I could measure the gap progressively. Did anyone else get it ?

em99010pepe
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
We will get them in 3 days.

About D2OL stats: they now work :arrow: HERE (http://d2ol.sengent.com/memberServices/teamProfile.jsp?id=528)

This is our daily production (http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/team_stats_history.php?Team=AMD+Users)

AMDave
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Very cool. And with milestones on the Daily stats page too.
Beerknurd is climbing faster than me. I'll have to get my boy a couple of PS2 games so he lays off the PC for a few days ;)

vaughan
07-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Oops Ninjas!

BC
07-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Guys,
I got everything 'basically' running. I will need to tweak over the next few days, but have two new nodes added to our team on D2OL.

We will see what they can do. Please forgive my 'tweaking as I go' for the first few days.

Is there a page where I can chart my daily progress??

Also, I know to suspend animation and hide the agent. Should I leave the node online or offline?

Thanks,
BC

Replies via PM are ok.

WienerDog
07-03-2004, 02:20 PM
BC id leave it online.
as for stats i like this page http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/main.php
there may be others too.
of course theres the d20l page too for stats.........wierdly under the "teams" link, you can get your individual stats

BC
07-03-2004, 02:33 PM
BC id leave it online.
as for stats i like this page http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/main.php
there may be others too.
of course theres the d20l page too for stats.........wierdly under the "teams" link, you can get your individual stats

Thank you.. I've bookmarked that page... it is good.

With everything done now until I complete a day's run (0945 UTC Sun), There isn't much to do... I'm going to get some sleep now.

Company arriving for the holiday in 14 hours...

Catch you all when i wake up... you can watch my login (BCCL) and if you can see the two new nodes, feel free to comment.... but should be interesting.

Later,
Have a great day, eve, night ... wherever you are!
BC

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Very cool. And with milestones on the Daily stats page too.
Beerknurd is climbing faster than me. I'll have to get my boy a couple of PS2 games so he lays off the PC for a few days ;)

I am moving up, but not as fast as I would like to... Anyone got an extra computer they wanna give me... :P

em99010pepe
07-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I can give you my Cyrix 200Mhz.

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 05:19 PM
What does that put out... about 30 WU's a day??? I need to start buying crappy computers so that I can get some practice networking them.... Anyone know a good place to get cheap computers.....??

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 05:24 PM
http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/team_stats_2.php?Team=AMD+Users&suppress=y

Is that right...??

em99010pepe hit 406 yesterday.... Why don't you do that everyday??

em99010pepe
07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
http://12.3.177.174:6969/D2OL/team_stats_2.php?Team=AMD+Users&suppress=y

Is that right...??

em99010pepe hit 406 yesterday.... Why don't you do that everyday??

As I said before I have two computers:

1 AMD 1,1GHZ with internet access
1 AMD 2200+ without internet access

The AMD2200+ doesn't have internet access so it 's running in offline mode. I only send the results from this computer once in 3 or 4 days.

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 05:34 PM
It was just a shock.... I guess I missed that post.... ;)

em99010pepe
07-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Beerknurd ..... That is no excuse ... You should be ashamed of yourself for not reading all the posts. But I guess we can forgive you this time... Just don't let it happen again.... [-X

:D

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 06:04 PM
LOL ok... I guess I deserved that..... :banghead:

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 08:19 PM
We passed team Ninja.....

BC
07-03-2004, 10:49 PM
You guys should see me on the list as the top "under 10,000" member now.... My machines went offline for a while.... looks like I'm going for about 250 / day w/ new box #1.... depending on candidate type I presume... correct?

Oh, and all this 'finger pointing and shaking'... hope those guns aren't loaded..... ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :D :P

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 11:08 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/766666/103.JPG

How about this for our new logo....... \:D/

BC
07-03-2004, 11:19 PM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3fa33eb6_17196/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/67e9.jpg?pf_xz5ABULn_C1Cw

How about this for our new logo....... \:D/

ROFLMAO FOF!!!!!!

:joker:

sincerely,
:n00b:

Beerknurd
07-03-2004, 11:22 PM
FOF what does that mean.....

And I was just kidding on the logo..... I thought it would be funny... At least I like it.

I'm sorry you feel like you have to make fun of it BC.... My feelings are officially hurt...... :cry:

BC
07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
FOF what does that mean.....

Oh,

*FIRST*, I apologize for hurting your feelings, I misunderstood.

As for the rest in general,

The Joker applies to me... not you!
I'm kidding too.... FOF = Falling Onto Floor.....

I think I should have done...... FOF... ROFLMAO...

My bad!!! :D

BC

BC
07-04-2004, 12:16 AM
I've got the new nodes.... both are still settling and not turned up at full clock speed yet or full FSB....

Here are the most recent (I guess 'validated') numbers

Processed: 395 Processed: 7,900
Avg Dock Time: 11 min, 29 sec Avg Dock Time: 34.498 sec
Avg Per Day: 56.429 Avg Per Day: 1,128.571
Past Week: 391 Past Week: 7,820
Today: 97 Today: 1,940

(this includes me being shutdown for 6 of the last 7 days)
The '97' is after 9 hours of processing.

How's this performance wise? Within the norm?
I don't know how d2ol works well yet and would appreciate advice/info.

Thanks,
BC.

chaz
07-04-2004, 12:43 AM
How much ceiling do you have with that thing?
Hope these number help.

Athlon XP2500 @200*10.5

Candidates
Processed: 897
Avg Dock Time: 10 min, 34 sec
Avg Per Day: 99.667

Conformers
Processed: 17,940
Avg Dock Time: 31.717 sec
Avg Per Day: 1,993.333

AMD Athlon XP2400 133*16.5

Candidates
Processed: 839
Avg Dock Time: 10 min, 57 sec
Avg Per Day: 93.222
Past Week: 665

Conformers
Processed: 16,780
Avg Dock Time: 32.893 sec
Avg Per Day: 1,864.444

I dont think memory bandwidth is as much a part as pure speed imo, but i could be wrong.
It is odd though 9 hrs and 97 candidates, but average dock times are higher. ???

Beerknurd
07-04-2004, 12:53 AM
BC,

You didn't hurt my feelings... I was kidding..... ;)

BC
07-04-2004, 01:35 AM

chaz
07-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Let me make sure I have the correct info....
You're referring to Corsair XMS 3200 XL correct?

I cant seem to find anything stating whether to use 1T or 2T. Best I have seen so far is in their datasheets, which conveniently says "Bios default", lol.

Default dimm voltage is supposed to be 2.75, but alot of mainboards dont support that, either 2.7 or 2.8 if it were mine I'd start at 2.7. Maybe after some more mature bios' come around you will be able to change it.

Supposedly from what I have read so far that ram will run DDR400 2-2-2-5 up to DDR500 3-4-4-8, so i dont see overclocking the fsb to be an issue unless the board cant take it.

FSB :P FSB :P FSB :P

**edit oops not vcore, but dimm voltage **

Beerknurd
07-04-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm going to run 1 instance of Ubero and 1 instance of D2OL. I want to try to break the 100,000 mark. Plus D2OL is getting old. I need a change of pace.

Beerknurd
07-04-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm going to run 1 instance of Ubero and 1 instance of D2OL. I want to try to break the 100,000 mark. Plus D2OL is getting old. I need a change of pace.

Nevermind.....

BC
07-05-2004, 04:01 AM

Beerknurd
07-05-2004, 05:21 AM
BC,

Your getting faster results from your P4???

Beerknurd
07-05-2004, 05:23 AM
BC,

Your getting faster results from your P4???

Nevermind... I need to read more carefully #-o

Ototero
07-05-2004, 07:22 AM
My best D2OL machine is a bog standard Mobile AMD 2.2 with 256 of ram running XP pro with IBM java.

Candidates: Conformers:
Avg Dock Time : 13min, 41sec 41.83sec
Avg Per Day: 70.5 1,410

I don't think that's too bad. Unless of course, you know different.

BC
07-05-2004, 09:03 AM

vaughan
07-06-2004, 07:54 AM
We're still several weeks away from 13th, even at our recent daily rate. I noticed chaz has switched bck to 17 - we dropped a place in that project.

em99010pepe
07-06-2004, 10:10 AM
And what about lifemapper? We could easily get into the TOP10.

Site:

www.lifemapper.org

http://www.lifemapper.org/lm-apps/RegisterMember/RegisterMember.asp

Download windows command line interface:

http://www.lifemapper.org/lm-downloads/bin/lifemapper-i386-win-1.0.03.zip
or
http://ghr.sytes.net/Lifemapper/

Client setup:

Run lifemapper_cmd.exe and login with your email. Then stop the program and create a shortcut to lifemapper_cmd.exe and put this in the command line or target line:

D:\****\lifemapper-i386-win-1.0.03\lifemapper_cmd.exe -p 64 -q -f -c 200

-p 64 for 9x and NT4
-p 16384 for 2K/XP

Stats:

View your stats (http://www.lifemapper.org/lm-apps/ViewMember/ViewMember.asp)

http://12.3.177.174:6969/lifemapper/team_stats.php

http://stats.free-dc.org/lm/allteams.php

http://www.adventurevision.com/lifemapper/

http://lm.stats.dp.cx/cgi-bin/render-teams.cgi

Benchmarks:

AMD 1,1 Ghz - 1 WU is processed in 30mi

AMD 2200+ - 1 WU is processed in 15mi

About bad jobpackets:

"OK, since so many of you are having problems with all those corrupt JobPackets, I've just developed the 'LifeMapper Packet Watcher'.

It's a simple application: just place it in your lifemapper client directory and start it up.

Every x seconds it will check all the Lifemapper JobPackets for their filesize. Every JobPacket file <= 5 KB will be deleted automatically.

The default interval is set to 480 seconds (8 Minutes). You can specify your own interval as well though.

Please run the application like this 'LM_Packet_Watcher.exe -h' switch to see the help.

Hopefully this can make 'babysitting' those machines a bit easier

--
edit:
(mandatory disclaimer these days)
Although I have complete faith in this little app. Use it at your own risk."

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/515540~a8a75035b4c302e5e11cc1da568fef04/LM_Packet_Watcher.zip

em99010pepe
07-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Just want to let you know that i stop running D2OL. Now i will crunch for lifemapper. I can smell 10th place.

Beerknurd
07-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Is anyone still running D2OL?????

BC
07-23-2004, 03:46 AM

Beerknurd
07-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Well I'm excited, so hurry up!!!!! LOL. :D

vaughan
07-23-2004, 06:12 AM
I'm still running some D2OL too.

Keith75
07-23-2004, 06:55 AM
I am too and so is BWhite.

BC
07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I am too and so is BWhite.

So am I... i just pushed both over.... I have not had good news from Predictor... Matter of fact, it has been dead silent. I think they are exhausted and taking a break...Don't delete any predictor stuff... but don't run CLI or remote GUI's...

I am running 2 machnes on D2OL, soon to be 3..... (the 3200+ chip is on the way and the MB is fine)

Beerknurd better be carefull because even though I show 7 nodes, only 2 are active and I am pushing them out of machine 1 pretty quick....

Here's the stats from tonight (from installation until it took it's snapshot).

Does anyone know how to merge nodes so I can truly show 2... I don't have 7.

current time --- 2:31 am .... the 'snapshot update' was a while ago I think.
ID: 108785
Total Docking Time: 3 hr, 48 min, 43 sec
System-wide Contribution: 0.00008%
Total Conformers Evaluated: 620,000,000
Best Candidate Found: IBS_STOCK3S-41137.pdbq
Candidates
Processed: 32
Avg Dock Time: 7 min, 08 sec
Avg Per Day: 32
Past Week: 32
Today: 32

Conformers
Processed: 640
Avg Dock Time: 21.442 sec
Avg Per Day: 640
Past Week: 640
Today: 640

BC

PS: I asked for help in unlocking the 2400 Mhz limit... :) because the busses are only running at 100mhz... this is good for 200+ :) The CPU multiplier is good to over 20... and I'm just sitting at 12 :)

Keith75
07-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey BC, if you go to D2OL.com and then go to your account page you can merge nodes there.

BC
07-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey BC, if you go to D2OL.com and then go to your account page you can merge nodes there.

I saw where I can delete them, and it would not let me... it showed all nodes and a 'del' button... where is the merge??? merge users???

Keith75
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry, I guess I was thinking of "Merge Members". I don't know. That is a good question. I would have sworn I had seen it on there.

Ototero
07-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Keith,

You're thinking of predictor. I've started the migration to d2ol.

Anybody, does someone know of a piece software that alters the fsb in small increments, I have cpsfsb which will only move from 133hz to 140hz?

Stu

BC
07-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Keith,

You're thinking of predictor. I've started the migration to d2ol.

Anybody, does someone know of a piece software that alters the fsb in small increments, I have cpsfsb which will only move from 133hz to 140hz?

Stu

Stu,
Isn't that a function of your bios, motherboard, and CPU multiplier, with the CPU multiplier being the main controlling factor?

Chuck

Ototero
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Chuck,

My bios only allows a fsb setting of 100 or 133 :cry:

So I need software to change the setting. I've tried cpufsb but the fsb increments are too big.

My mobo is ecs k7vmm+, I've got the latest bios loaded. I've just cleaned and re-seated my cooler and now cpu is running at 51C instead of 70C :D

Also installed 2 X 120 gig disks with 8 meg cache each and 2 X 512 meg ddr pc2700 ( I only needed pc2100 but the extra cost was minimal)

Stu

BC
07-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Chuck,

My bios only allows a fsb setting of 100 or 133 :cry:

So I need software to change the setting. I've tried cpufsb but the fsb increments are too big.

My mobo is ecs k7vmm+, I've got the latest bios loaded. I've just cleaned and re-seated my cooler and now cpu is running at 51C instead of 70C :D

Also installed 2 X 120 gig disks with 8 meg cache each and 2 X 512 meg ddr pc2700 ( I only needed pc2100 but the extra cost was minimal)

Stu

The 100 or 133 limit on your FSB in bios is your stumbling block unless there is a program for your MB... OR.... you install a dip switch where the clocking jumpers are... :)

Here's a temperature trick if I may..... as I think 51C is still too hot.

You know about Artic Silver 5 compound, right? That's the best going.

Here's another trick that most aren't aware of.....

Your CPU cooler blows air in and down onto the heat sink base and
based on the mount... can actually cause heat to blown into the
mounting area (oven).....

Well, if you do the following (assuming your cooler will permit this)....

1) Flip the fan over (unscrew the fan, flip it and screw it back on).
2) get about a 1/2" - 3/4" of tape and go all the way around the top
near the fan to prevent useless air from getting sucked in.

The result? You are actually pulling heat AWAY from the CPU AND MB.

If you want help with AS-5... there is plenty of doc on their site and I have a lot of experience with it. I know people who have actually melted the plastic housing that holds down their heatsinks and fans.

If it works for you (and you will know very quickly) then enjoy... just stay in bios and watch the heat levels from power-up.... You may want to set a slightly 'lower-than-normal' shutdown temp until you are comfortable with the new cooling arrangement.

Between the AS-5 (which is good for 2-6C) and the air flow change (another 2-3C), you should be enjoying some nice temps real quickly.

Chuck

BC
07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Guys,
Is there ANY truth to the report on the D2OL Forum pages from the webmaster and other users that over 97% of the work on D2OL has already been done, the rest having been done in the labs, and we are simply spinning our wheels reprocessing old data???????

BC

Ototero
07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks Chuck,

I used AS but not 5. I will try the reverse air flow trick though, And fit an exhaust fan.

I will continue looking into fsb changers. Even if I could push my 2000 into a 2100. It would help.

Stu

AMDave
07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Chuck, that's a serious allegation, although not beyond the realms of possibility (it has happened before somewhere else).

Indeed we could expect some re-processing for greater validation, but any project caught "masquerading" in such a way would bear the bash of the Selfish stick. There are a lot of projects which need the crunch time and any project team which didn't own up to being over would attract some bad karma.

Do you have reason to believe that this is so ?

(I do find it odd that we still process Anthrax units when other similar DC projects which were involved have declared that the Anthrax projects are complete...)

Have you posted your question in the project forum ?

--Dave--

Anonymous
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Guys,
Is there ANY truth to the report on the D2OL Forum pages from the webmaster and other users that over 97% of the work on D2OL has already been done, the rest having been done in the labs, and we are simply spinning our wheels reprocessing old data???????

BC

:arrow: Source (http://www.d2ol.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000731#000000)

Pepe

BC
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Pepe found the article... further reading suggested the entire D2OL membership STOP processing all at once since they are never heard, 2.5 is not done, and no new libraries are ready..

Also I find it odd that Anthrax vaccines are being given out (posted on the D2OL GUI itself), yet we continue to process it.

Hereis the post from the D2OL forum:

Member # 1157

posted June 28, 2004 04:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received an email from Wolfgang (after a short dialog) with a real update on where we are at D2OL. I am posting here as I believe this is where most people will see it. Here is a cut 'n pasted copy of the email.

"The low down on the project D2OL:

We have screened close to 97% of three libraries against all targets
currently in the project. We anticipate completing these three
libraries by the end of July. We have adjusted various parameters in
the docking algorithms over the past two years to fine-tune the system.
Representative top-candidates from each library will be selected (based
on some selection criteria based on the chemical structure of the
candidate) for screening in the laboratory. The first target to be
evaluated in the laboratory is the Anthrax Lethal Factor. Dr. Rekha G.
Panchal from the National Cancer Institute at Frederick has agreed to
test compounds in Biochemical and Cell based assays.

Future directions:

We have screened 3 of a selection of 12 libraries. The number of
libraries also increases as new suppliers are identified. Screening of
the libraries should proceed much faster since the system has been
optimized and returns validated and reliable results with close to 98%
efficiency.

We had hoped to introduce new statistical monitoring for the new
libraries. This might not happen in time with the release of the first
new library of candidates. Individual statistics are valid and
correctly reflected in the system. The new system would introduce
library based statistics which have a better defined end-point (you can
compare this to seasonal sports like football, you would have seasonal
winners and seasonal performance as well as an overall performance for
all seasons). This would give new users incentives to perform at peak
since they have no chance to "catch-up" with veteran users."

So that's the info I got. If you have any other questions, post them and I can get back in touch with Dr. Hinz about it.

--------------------
Without science we'd be fishing termites out of mounds with sticks right now.
--Join Team USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 61 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | IP: Logged |

------------------------

If this is true, then I suggest we go elsewhere until predictor is back. I know that science is not driven by a corporation..... just one very tired team of 3 people (self included)

em99010pepe
07-23-2004, 04:12 PM
We can go to Lifemapper, SOB or ChessBrain.

Keith75
07-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I agree, we should change to something that is usefull. What does everyone think about this?

BC
07-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Predictor is coming back up this PM (PST) without web page, but with work units.....

care to give it a 'gentle try' and ease back into it...

I will likely be there all weekend helping fix it. (Seti hurt us bad) Many memory leaks in code were found... I will continue to help find leaks, and fix Linux kernel and Apache compilation.

If I am there..... I will post here and let you all know...

Chuck

nickth
07-23-2004, 08:14 PM
BC

This may sound stupid but why was Seti code use anyways as Pedictor is the third Bionc project. I thought thay would of learned from when Astropulse crashed and then Seti not to use the same code or setup. :?: :roll:

BC
07-23-2004, 08:28 PM
BC

This may sound stupid but why was Seti code use anyways as Pedictor is the third Bionc project. I thought thay would of learned from when Astropulse crashed and then Seti not to use the same code or setup. :?: :roll:

Seti / AP got rolled together... it was decided to push Seti to foreground and AP to background. but they still didn't fix it all..... hence why BOINC core is now at version 4.01 already.

The biggest issue is Zombie procsses... Sun ignores child termination messages, SysV does not..... None of the BOINC code has termination message code handlers in it AT ALL.... Our task for the weekend will be to write in the new code and put the #ifdef SYSV // #endif around it all.

Seti/AP uses SUN (BSD).... Predictor uses Linux.... (SysV)... the interaction with standard Apache is where the Zombie is created.

The other memory leaks (just plain bad code) are being fixed as fast as lint and other methods can find them.

the architecture is good, just the coding is poor quality. As for the DB... Predictor knows better and does not use the same DB architecture / indexing as Seti... so that part is already corrected (and has been since day 1)

BC
07-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Predictor is down at the moment... but by the time I get there, it will be up (or shortly thereafter)... I will let you all know...

Please just ease into it as *I* am going to nurse the servers along and will be a 1-man show.

BC

bwhite
07-24-2004, 02:30 AM
We can go to Lifemapper, SOB or ChessBrain.

I agree, we should change to something that is usefull. What does everyone think about this?

Think I'll run mostly SOB while I wait for things to get straightened out.

BC
07-24-2004, 02:47 AM
Since I'm on the P@H team and fixing the Kernel now (found yet another flaw... bad kernel config by the guys who built the 'bigmem' kernel in their 'IT department' (forgot the 'SH' in front of that))....

I will stay on P@H and get the first couple downloads and make sure that I have mem flushing working correctly.

Here is the exact situ..

it COMPLETELY fills 4GB of ram, (just generating WUs) because the buff and cache fill ****THEN ****** starts flushing memory, which takes some 30 seconds... causing swapping all the way.... compounding the poor performance.....

****SOMEONE***** does not know how to gen a Linux kernel.

I'm retuning the kernel and going to set some reasonable parameters... like flush memory every 15-30 seconds, or when min-free = 256M... stuff like that... This default 'bigmem' kernel config is apparantly never meant to swap.

I will test it out... I may ask for a few volunteers in a while, but I will do so in the Predictor thread..... until then, I'm going to give Beerknurd a hard time on D2OL and just catch up to him.... :P :lol:

BC

Ototero
07-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Chuck,

I'm at home all day today, If you want to use me as a guinea pig, just say so.

It's 10am Saturday, the German F1 Grand Prix qualifying start in 2 hours, so I don't leave the house.

Does make you wonder how these so programmers make into the real world.

Stu

em99010pepe
07-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Chuck,

It's 10am Saturday, the German F1 Grand Prix qualifying start in 2 hours, so I don't leave the house.

Stu

Don't forget about MOTOGP. British Grand Prix at Donington Park.

BC
07-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Chuck,

Stu

Don't forget about MOTOGP. British Grand Prix at Donington Park.

With any luck, I will see what you alll see, just tape delayed..... I am at home.

how's the new avatar?

PS: Now you both know why I want to move back to Europe.... UK, Germany, Austria, or Switzerland (last resort) is ok w/ me.

AMDave
07-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Chuck ! 7 nodes !
It's not just Berknurd you're trying to catch is it ?
Stu - maybe we could merge into a single member and keep him at bay ! LOL.
Good onya Chuck at least we'll keep Team Ninja down for a while longer.

--Dave--

BC
07-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Chuck ! 7 nodes !
It's not just Berknurd you're trying to catch is it ?
Stu - maybe we could merge into a single member and keep him at bay ! LOL.
Good onya Chuck at least we'll keep Team Ninja down for a while longer.

--Dave--

Dave, only 2 are active on D2OL... but D2OL is smart... it's giving the fastest processor the toughest jobs to do. Now, do you want another one active??? It *can* be arranged... :lol:

But @ 230-something the first partial-day, I am pleased. (337 in the first 30 hours)

Ototero
07-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Dave,

You might have an idea there.

If we created a super user that we could all access, we could then allocate a machine or 2 to it. The rest of the world would see a 'king fast user :D

Lets bounce the idea around. See if it has merit.

BTW, I lied, I said I was staying in all afternoon, my wife has just informed me that we have a party to go to in 30 minutes. Shucks.

I've left 2 predictor machines hunting for work.

And......worst of all....I've got to record the GP qualifying. :cry:

Stuart

BC
07-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Stu,
put the predictors on d2ol...

predictor may be down for days...

i got no replies after 9 pm pst last night. (7 hours ago)

and fyi... i am seeing d2ol still has merit, but now it is not earning points like it did... it is really hunting for solutions.

*edit*: Does the avatar meet w/ everyone's approval ??

nickth
07-24-2004, 11:15 AM
BC that seem strange that you have heard nothing because this is posted on the news piece on the front page of predictor

7/23/04
The performance crisis has calmed down a bit, we are generating mfold WUs again and plan to restart the distribution in the next 12 hours. Keep your machine ready to fire off! Soon details of this adventure will follow on the cs news page :-)

BC
07-24-2004, 11:23 AM
BC that seem strange that you have heard nothing because this is posted on the news piece on the front page of predictor

7/23/04
The performance crisis has calmed down a bit, we are generating mfold WUs again and plan to restart the distribution in the next 12 hours. Keep your machine ready to fire off! Soon details of this adventure will follow on the cs news page :-)

The email between us is sometimes slow & unreliable... i am not surprised as to the status though... but I know the kernel was a mess... it was gen'd for a P-2... the main is a dual xeon 2.66 machine. .... 2 - quad opterons and Suse 9.1 (w/ 64 bit mode) are on the way.

It does mean they solved one problem that was holding us up completely, and I was not aware they fixed the CGI. But am glad.

Our last comm w/ each other was that the WU datbase was going to be filled to the max. ALL raw data would be processed.

expect a 6-8am PST kick-off of Predictor given this info. I know their schedules..... AND... how tired we all are.... I took a 4 hour 'nap' and am up now for just a few minutes, then back to bed.

BC

Beerknurd
07-25-2004, 02:04 AM
Predictor's up!!!!!!! Start crunching!!!!!! :)