PDA

View Full Version : Pirates@Home shutting down

NeoGen
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
When the question has come up before, I always said that Pirates@Home would stay up until late June. Well, it's now getting to be late June, and it's time to shut 'er down.

The Pirates@Home project and web site will shut down sometime in the late morning (EST) on Friday, June 24th, 2005.

We will continue to run both Sextant and Starboard, as able, until the shutdown. I hope to have one more round of Sextant for testing.

If there is time, there may also be one more round of Starboard. I've been working on porting xscreensaver GL 'hacks' of progressive complexity, and the next one has what I hope is only a small problem before it is ready. But maybe not...

I have to say that I think this little project has been quite a success, both for testing screensaver graphics for Einstein@Home (the original intent) and for testing BOINC in general. And I have to give credit for that to the Gentlemen and Ladies of the crew. Even if you just ran a workunit and it ended with an error and you got no credit at all, the feedback you and your machine provided helped contribute. And of course there have been many willing to contribute more than that, such as feedback in the forums, as well as the translations of the screensaver description. Thank you all for all your contributions.

A hearty "Arrrr!" to all the Pirates crew, and bon voyage!

- Eric Myers

Forum link to the announcement
http://pirates.vassar.edu/forum_thread.php?id=426

A great project... didn't have a real scientific purpose for itself, but helped on Einstein and Boinc development alot.
I had the pleasure to contribute for it, not only with my computer work and bugs I reported, but also with the portuguese translation of the starsphere screensaver description.

Farewell to the DC project I most liked in all my DC'ing years...

Beerknurd
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
another one bites the dust!!!! :lol:

NeoGen
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
I guess my yellow band on the stats for that project will be gone soon... :-( :lol:

vaughan
06-23-2005, 10:52 PM
That's a shame and I just got 3 tasks from it yesterday and crunched 'em in a few minutes each. A few crumbs from the Pirates table huh!

NeoGen
06-23-2005, 11:10 PM
If you got the starboard workunits then they would have taken longer if you had opened the graphics window or seen them in screensaver.
They defaulted to two minutes only if no graphic activity was detected.

vaughan
06-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Screensaver - never use it.

AMDave
06-24-2005, 04:50 AM
10 hours left and I won't be in last place. Arrrr. :lol:

AMDave
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Ready to send = 0 for ages now.
Maybe we got the last of them.

NeoGen
06-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Yea... I think they ran out of workunits too...

AMDave
06-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Count of Wus in progress now going steadily down.
I'm all tapped out.
All sent back.
Hey I broke the 100 and I have plenty still pending.
I might yet get past Gremlen.
Arrrrr. Prepare to be boarded ye skunner.

NeoGen
06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Well... the site is gone. The shutdown is complete...

One more project we can add to the finished ones. And this one was one of our best so far... we ended in 5th place :)

AMDave
06-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Yep. Pirates site off the air, but BOINC synergy captured the final stat
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/teams.php?project=pir

Yay - I finished 5th.
Gremlen kept 4th.
Bad luck Aqua. Good chase.

Ototero
06-25-2005, 05:14 PM
That's it then. Off to my stats graveyard :lol:

NeoGen
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
There goes the project that helped me reach glory... :-( 1st place on the team, and 5th worldwide. And with only my one and single Athlon XP 2000+.

Maybe some day in some other project I'll shine again like I did in pirates... :)

Empty_5oul
06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
that 5th team place may aswell have been your neo, you were 90% of that score anyway.

i guess it is a similar story with redlib, you can't call yourself rank#1 at AMD yet though. i think bwhite will defend his position and he still has a massive lead anyway.