PDA

View Full Version : which heatsink good for overclocking?

Haris
11-28-2003, 12:45 PM
hell.o! which heatsink good to overclock my amd 2500 barton?

jlangner
11-28-2003, 12:51 PM
I think the Thermalright SLK-900A and the Volcano 9 are excellent. If you want to know about water coolers I am sure someone else will answer as well. BTW, welcome to our site. How high do you want to go? I have heard of people going to 166 FSB and 12.5 multi to get 2080mhz. As always remember to be careful and do at your own risk. You should have a cpu temp around 45 idle and 55 under load.

Jeff
11-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I bought a Koolance water-cooled case...I love it
Temps 29-32C
www.koolance.com

chaz
11-28-2003, 06:40 PM
I heard th SLK's worked good but havent tried one yet.
I'm using Thermalright SK-7's on 2500 Bartons running 200fsb and 11 multiplier 2200mhz they dont come with a fan, youll need to pick out one of your own. I use Speeze FD08025S1M 80mm fans, they are quiet and move decent amounts of air, 36cfm if I remember right. My Bartons are running between 37 and 41 degrees.

Haris
11-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Hell.o! i'm not going to high! just a beginer. i'm not going to use water cooler. 8O what brand is slk??? is it cheap like aero 7 lite??

Bionic_Redneck
11-29-2003, 03:44 AM
thats thermalright but not the cheapest around then again you get what you pay for.

Haris
11-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Hell.o! are aero 7 lite best?? any better in cooler master brand?? but not that expensive ones. and also zalman can tell me the model,,,,, which is cheap and also good etc not to noisy and cool!

jlangner
11-29-2003, 02:01 PM
I am not sure, maybe someone else can answer.

Bionic_Redneck
11-29-2003, 03:12 PM
I think the slk 900 is the best comes bare so that means you could add whatever fan you want and since it does use a 92mm fan it should also be quiet. but I believe they are around $50

not sure about aero 7 lite but thermalright and swiftech seemed to be top of the heatsink ranking. I would recommend the you look through the heatsink rating on overclockers.com and try and find the best performing heatsink in your price range. personally I don't mind spending a little extra for a higher quality hsf because it could always be reused when I upgrade just as long as the same socket is used
http://overclockers.com/articles373/socketA.asp

Anonymous
11-29-2003, 09:15 PM
I use a Thermalright SLK-900a with a 92mm fan. For a good price on one check out SVC.com. They are usually the cheapest on the heatsink.

Haris
12-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Hell.o! ok thanks!

TA_Super_10
12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Remember that the SLK 900/a are big check out your mobo and make sure there are no caps really close to the socket. Check and see if your board has mounting holes, if so go with the SLK-900 the SLK-900a uses the clips on the side of socket to mount. Also Thermal Take Volcano series is very good also but they sound like a jet cranked up to full fan speed.

Empty_5oul
07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
HI,
dunno if ur still interested but aero 7 is not the best. i recently upgraded and bought a Jet 7 from coolermaster, one of the best and fastest. they are hard to find though, dabs being one of the few retailers. im not sure if id recommend it, at lowest speed (1900rpm/21dba) its not 2 noisy but i have got use to it and do always play music quite loud lol :P. at top speed it is very effiecient but noisy to 3500rpm 41dba.
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/modificationandcoolingkit/productView.htm?quicklinx=2VNN
if u want further info or anythign please ask.

Keith75
07-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Empty, I am not trying to be mean but I have seen those in action and they are noisy and don't seem to cool nearly as well or as quietly as a Vantec Aeroflow. If noise is important I think it is about the best you can get, though I have seen some pretty impressive new ones out.

Empty_5oul
07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
they are noisy but i have a thermaltake case with 5 case fans, so i kinda got use to the hum and dont really notice it. i know the market is always changing but for me noise is not a great issue, it seems to move air pretty well here and even creats a draft in the room :S !!! lol

BC
07-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Empty, I am not trying to be mean but I have seen those in action and they are noisy and don't seem to cool nearly as well or as quietly as a Vantec Aeroflow. If noise is important I think it is about the best you can get, though I have seen some pretty impressive new ones out.

I can also add the Thermal Take K8+/Opteron version.... it is quiet and with Artic Silver 5.... (lapped CPU (if needed), but lapp that heat sink... it's all copper and just a bit too rough for our standards).. the pair, once cured (AS-5 takes several hot-cold cycles or about 200 hours to 'cure') the pair produce a very wonderfull 8C temp drop for me.... I'm now at 50-52C under full load on a San Diego core (capable of 5.0Ghz, running at 2.4 until the cpu is liquid cooled.)

All depends on your air flow.... One thing you need is good exhaust... the Thermaltake A1357 fan is about the best going... 80+ CFM at 4800 RPM and silent when unobstructed.... very very nice...very price effective.

There are others as Keith mentioned and some are probably better.... In my mind, it depends on how much you want to OC and what the base power of the CPU itself is and how much work/ $$$ you want to invest.

For what it's worth.... I am about to cross drill (for even MORE ventilation) my T-Take cooler... that is because the MB holes are 90 degrees wrong.. (OOOPS)... It won't matter once I go to liquid. However, even now.. my ambient is 85F (case internal temp) and CPU (in the oven itself) is 111F.
The die temp is a few degrees higher than that (perhaps 5F)... that's very very good.

If you can get a 20F (or less) case to cpu temp delta then you are in good standing. (20F is the max typical thermal conductivity coefficient for air at these power levels). Humidity does impact this somewhat... but 20 is a good #... If you can't get below 20, something is wrong. Anything better is gravy.

Chuck.

PS: Sorry for the Thesis... I had to design a special machine that had to survive 110-120F Ambient air temp.... At the time the Athlon MP 1200 (A4-A6) could only handle 122F max sustained temp. With lots of ducting and very controlled air flow and special heatsink compound from the gang in Austin (AMD), I got it..... the machines now sort mail all over the country and many places around the world for us all.

gatekeeper53
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Has anyone ever tried using a wc block supplied with the pump and water supply from an aquarium? I have a good air cooler on my daughters 3500+ but at the speed it's running it still runs at 62C.

Nflight
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Gatekeeper53 check out these links:
http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2327&highlight=aquarium

&

This is just weird: http://russellware.com/liquidpc/ :blob3:

gatekeeper53
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Good points but this thing is chemical free. The algae is taken care of by small catfish and there are only guppies in a 20 gallon tank. I went ahead and ordered the wc block and I just have to try it lol. The thing runs like a raped ape and I just want to see if I can take it any farther. If you look on my sig it's the second 3500.

BlackAdder
12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I've run a Volcano 9 for a long time, no problems except the noise. I now use a Cooler Master AQUAGATE Mini R120 and it runs at room temp at 100% load with a XP3200 CPU , I got mine off Ebay for about $100.

BlackAdder
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I just checked NewEgg and the Aquagate Mini 120 is selling for about 69.00 bucks...a great deal and this is an EXCELLENT cooler !!! :)

moderna
12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I want one of those! Assume it should be 2778? Still great though. My stock cooler does not allow much OC beyond 2.5. Keep us posted on use of an aquarium as a radiator. Just don't cook the fish.