PDA

View Full Version : game related rebooting (heat??)

Empty_5oul
07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I recently installed bettlefield Vietnam.

1 thing I found was continual rebooting when it was hot outside after maybe 5 hours of play. I know the game is processor intensive so could it be overheating?
What is a good temp for a (32bit) xp 3200+? - and could a hot processor cause a re-boot like this. I went into the bios later and watched the temps and with fans on full got it down to about 45*.

If my problem is heat what heatsink is good for cooling it down? - quiet aswell please.
Also any recomendations on case fans? - i have room for 5 in my case and am currently using the bundled thermaltake ones.

thanks.

AQUAJOE
07-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Are you running XP?

If you are running XP-

Right-Click "My Computer"

Go To "Properties"

Click on the "Advanced Tab"

Go down to "Startup and Recovery" and click on "Settings"

Uncheck "Automatically restart"

and then Click "OK"

Try that and let me know if your still having an issue.

With battle field and some other games a small error inthe game can somtimes get picked up as a system failure so the computer see's this and reboots.

I had the same problem with Battlefied and Raven Shield doing this fixed it for me.

thorshammer
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I am currently building 12 AMD64s 3200s for a gaming cafe ..all have dual 6600s in sli on assus mobos, for the fans i have chosen the Zalman 7700 coper core..because of its look and cooling ..in a Soprano case from thermal take the temp tops is 45 c ...running full tilt for 8hrs..the other option considered for the units was the silent boost, both are quiet.

P.S. the room temp averaged 22-23 c. using Enermax 465 power supply running FarCry (veryhigh mode)

AQUAJOE
07-29-2005, 05:20 PM
If you are running Xp.

Right-Click on "My Computer"

Go to "Properties"

Click on the "Advanced Tab"

Go down to "Startup and Recovery"

Click on "Settings"

Under "System Failure"

Uncheck "Automatically restart"

then click "OK"

On some games like Battlefield and Raven Shield errors can be caused that fool the system into thinking it has a system failure and and with this option unchecked the machine won't reboot on ya.

It used to happen to me to until I did this.

Let me know if it works or doesn't and we can see what direction we need to go next to troubleshoot this problem.

Empty_5oul
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
thanks guys.

aqua - whats with the double post, was it a failed edit or :?

yes i am running XP pro.

i will uncheck that and see how it goes, fine so far but only played for a few mins to test it.

it is socket A being only 32bit so would this fan be good http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=141&code=005 ?
i dont think the other would fit :( - are they backwards compatable :?:

thorshammer
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Prior too using the zalman..the chunky look was the key factor in using it as the cooling was equal to this one

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1889b.htm

If size is an issue at all that is what I used, very quiet and GREAT cool ability,at idle most of them built ran between 30-33* maxing out at about 48* after lapping my own and rounding the cables I got that down to a max of 45* the lapping and the rounding of the cables was worth the effort.
Zalman have a list on their page as to what mobos will take the 7000 serries of coolers.

Empty_5oul
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
k, thanks.

i will check them in more detail tomorrow.

size is not an issue currently i have a jet 7 by coolermaster. http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ACB-V83-U2&other_title=+ACB-V83-U2+Jet%207%2B i dont think you will find many bigger or heavier than it :P.

AQUAJOE
07-29-2005, 09:36 PM
The first one to me looked like it didn't go through. I looked 10 min and the post didn't show up. I refreshed several times and saw nothing. So I just did it again.

Sorry about that.