PDA

View Full Version : What Windows do you like?

MacNews
12-03-2003, 10:20 PM
XP Home, XP Pro, 2000 Pro?

My favorite is XP Pro. Stable, looks good and runs good.

MacNews
12-03-2003, 10:21 PM
I can't post more than 2 options for the poll, very wierd. :?: :?: :?:

Haris
12-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Hell.o! you can't post more than 1,,,,,,, 1 user can only vote one times not 2 times...

Bionic_Redneck
12-04-2003, 10:47 AM
correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't such a animal as 2000 pro. It's windows 2000 there is no pro version since there is no home version. I downloaded the trail version of server 2003 and it is slow and buggy. personally I might choose win2k over any version of xp unless it was corprate version because having to call each time I decided to re-install OS would be a pain.

chaz
12-04-2003, 11:38 AM
I have Win2k Pro...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/

Although i have never heard of 2000 home either.

Jeff
12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Windows 2000 has several versions:

Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Database Server

Bionic_Redneck
12-04-2003, 12:15 PM
ok so it's actually windows 2000 professional. I have always heard of it refered to as win2k so I just assumed because there wasn't a home version the pro wasn't needed in title. I guess it indicates how interested am in microsoft products they do have nice font though :wink:

jlangner
12-04-2003, 01:22 PM
BR, I have XP-Pro, I have reinstalled several times, even changed MB from 1 A7V to a A7N8X and still did not have to call. I had to reactivate using Start Menu Button for online but that was it. I figured I would when I rebuilt my pc with new MB, ram, Video Card,different sound. Still had same Hard Drives, but they were reformatted of course. But still didn't have to call. I think that is way over blown - IMO

Bionic_Redneck
12-04-2003, 01:56 PM
oh thats cool then. might consider updating my windows partition from win98 to xp pro if thats a possible upgade path.

jlangner
12-04-2003, 03:14 PM
I play mega pc games, so windows is a requirement, in most cases. lol

pegian
12-06-2003, 03:50 AM
Hello team,

I too use windows as I am an avid gamer and most of my client workstations at work are windows 98/me/2000/xp. If I had to pick a favorite, then I would choose Windows 2000 Pro. It does everything that I need it to do, and it does not look like a Clown Car (Windows xp.) I know there are a lot of people out there that like Windows xp better, and that's fine with me. Xp and 2000 are both built very similar, so I guess it's just which looks better and what you are doing in particular.

My preffered OS choices are listed as:
Windows 2000 - PC
Red Hat Linux - PC
OS X - Apple
Gentoo Linux - PC
Windows XP - PC

and then the rest fit somewhere way below that don't even bother using them.

Pegian

Beerknurd
06-30-2004, 02:31 AM
I have XP Home. I imagine the Pro version would be better though. Windows 2000 only had a Server and Pro edition..... "I think"

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 12:07 PM
I have XP Pro and I hate it.

BC
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
I have a question for you guys.....

I was just reading a VERY VERY VERY disturbing post on another web site.

I have typically 50 processes (about 300 threads) running on this machine at once.... This includes Norton FW 2004, McAfee Vscan 8, and my own SMTP server. The ATI Radeon and Audigy also has a few processes & threads up of their own.

What's the trick? I require some 40 minutes to process a WU on Predictor using this overclocked A64 3200+. Yet someone with an Athlon XP 2600+ claims he can do the WUs in roughly 9-12 minutes elapsed time (but 60% more CPU time though)..

What's wrong? "Where have all the cycles gone? " What did I forget to tweak? What did I forget to get rid of after the loadup? ..... or is simply touching the keyboard and waking up the display THAT much of a load on the machine???

This other person is either lieing through his teeth or I am seriously messed up here. What's the deal? Can I compare a particular benchmark w/ someone to see what's wrong?

Can anyone give me a place to start, or is the key simply to create a 'bare bones number cruncher' versus a fully functional system?

I've watched the interrupts / context switches.... I am running (using Perforance meter) some 1500-2000 context switches per sec (is the scheduler freq settable like Linux?), ... If I let things sit just a few seconds and watch.... page faults fall to 60-80/sec, data flushes 0.5 and quickly to 0; and cache misses are almost non-existant (aka... Copy Read Hits % = 0) for 30-40 seconds at a clip. Is there a tool that can tell me where all the overhead time is going? Or why the the context switches are so high?

The only thing I can think of is that I am running the dual LCD's at 1280x1024x32 as a single screen.. Since that now goes through the CPU and driver... is it THAT 'expensive' to run?

I know you don't expect this out of me. Heck, were this linux/unix... i would find it in a blink and fix it... but windows is NOT my forte and I challenge the credibility of the claim. Who's the Guru???

** EDIT **

Ok,, kick the dummy..... the program 'Process switch 1.0' (which manages process priorities pushed the context switch rate up ... i killed it and the switch rate dropped to 150/sec instantly. Anyone know of a way to manage process priorities without such expense?

Sorry hour is late here... it's 1250 UTC (5:50am local)... If you will forgive my delay, I will post a full list when I get to work (around 2000 UTC)

** END EDIT **

BC.

BC
06-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I have XP Pro and I hate it.

I didn't like XP Pro until I made it look like win 2k... now i have win/2k back (look feel), but faster (even before I changed CPUs)

What don't you like... I know SOME things... just not the deep stuff like I just posted above.

BC

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Can you make a list of the tasks your are running? Could it be a Virus?
I have 23 tasks running in my 2200+.

BC
06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
I have been told (correct me please if wrong) that
Windows Server 2003 is what SHOULD have been Windows XP Server but simply wasn't ready because of all the bugs...

True or false???

PS: I've got XP Pro64 SP1 Beta here... it is a good 2-3x faster than regular XP Pro, but no network driver yet, so it's useless to me.

BC

em99010pepe
06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I don't know.

I used for many years WIN98SE and when I moved to XP was like moving to a new country, probably because my 2200+ has a big and strange problem that hasn't been solved since i had it.

I can't record a CD in 16x. It is true! When using Nero burning software I get a transfer speed of 2,4 MB/s and with my AMD 1,1 GHZ i get 30 MB/s.

I found that speed would increase up to 50MB/s if I run ECC2 project in background. Strange?

BC
06-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't know.

I used for many years WIN98SE and when I moved to XP was like moving to a new country, probably because my 2200+ has a big and strange problem that hasn't been solved since i had it.

I can't record a CD in 16x. It is true! When using Nero burning software I get a transfer speed of 2,4 MB/s and with my AMD 1,1 GHZ i get 30 MB/s.

I found that speed would increase up to 50MB/s if I run ECC2 project in background. Strange?

Email me privately about Nero... They are down the street from me... I can handle it with them, but i have a solid idea what is wrong.. just need more info. Start with version and which plugins / which modules and what drives and media. My first thought is a buffer problem and the driver. WinXP handles devices differently than 98.

Nero will burn for me at any speed and read any speed... I do use an 80 wire cable, not 40. We will talk of versions, etc. I have everything here.

Again, we can solve this quick and easy privately and post the results.

BC

BC

BC
06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Can you make a list of the tasks your are running? Could it be a Virus?
I have 23 tasks running in my 2200+.

no known virus... last virus was 2+ years ago when i switched to Mcafee... Norton had failed to catch it.

AHQTBU - audigy
ati2evxx.exe - radeon (driver side)
ati2evxx.exe - radeon (client side)
atiptaxx.exe - radeon
boinc_gui.exe
ccapp.exe - Norton FW 2004
ccevtmgr.exe
ccproxy.exe
ccsetmgr.exe
csrss.exe
dllhost.exe
dllhost.exe
eax.exe - audigy
explorer - (desktop)
gearsec.exe (Norton)
Ghost~2.exe (ghost service)
iexplore.exe - this window
inetinfo.exe
lsass.exe
mcagent - mcafee vscan 8
mcshield - mcafee
mcvsrte.exe - mcafee
mcvsshld.exe - mcafee
mediadet.exe - win xp (can't turn off)
mfoldB110 - predictor
mmtask - music match (known bug - being fixed)
mspmspsv.exe - unknown - assume XP service
OSDmenu - audigy
Outlook.exe
point32 - intellipoint 5
rcenter - audigy
rcman - audigy
services.exe
smss.exe
sndsrvc.exe - symantec (norton)
spoolsv - spooler (not sure why running all the time)
svchost ( 5 copies ) .... all disappear when SMTP server shuts down.
symlcsvc.exe - norton/symantec
System
system idle process
taskmgr (getting this listing)
tcpsvcs.exe (system service)
type32 (have ms wireless elite keyboard )
vssvc - (unknown service)
winlogin.exe - (don't know why this runs)

FYI... my other machine has 27 processes... but only a 9000 pro and net card... no services, no nothing... it's a cruncher.

current process count = 49 (including task mgr), 9871 handles, 463 threads

kernel = 89112 total, 41036 pages, 48004 non-pages.

phys mem -= 1571568, avail = 1092780 system cache = 7841116

commit charge = 246168, limit = 5615888, peak = 433444

That help?

BC

WienerDog
06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
BC.....i dont believe for a minute that 2600 is doing 9-12 minutes AVERAGE.....there are some small WU ive had that are that fast but........my fastest box is a 2800+ oc'ed to 2.3gig with ddr400 and i average ruffly a hour with that

as a matter afact i just checked my 2600+ and its at about 1:10 to 1:15 a WU......but take that with a grain of salt to its got a dying HD in it :cry:

BC
06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
BC.....i dont believe for a minute that 2600 is doing 9-12 minutes AVERAGE.....there are some small WU ive had that are that fast but........my fastest box is a 2800+ oc'ed to 2.3gig with ddr400 and i average ruffly a hour with that

as a matter afact i just checked my 2600+ and its at about 1:10 to 1:15 a WU......but take that with a grain of salt to its got a dying HD in it :cry:

Thanks... you have 2nd'd my calculations and that other person is 'full of something'... lol

BC

PS: I wish I could OC as much as you guys do... I can't.. and I work with this stuff... I must be missing the obvious.. where are you OC'ing it? The cpu is locked. Are you using MB switches / jumpers? If so, I will install the dip switches on mine and see what happens... it manually adjusts the main multiplier... I should be able to go to 2.37G with no trouble, but using BIOS, that does'nt work.

WienerDog
06-30-2004, 10:05 PM
ya mine are locked. Im just doing it FSB and upping the voltage a bit.
I suppose i could do the wire/pencil trick, but to tell ya the truth im afraid of messing up my chip, and if i do i cant afford to replace it right now :oops:
Biggest problem i found was keeping it cool enuff. so i bought a thermeltake 11? (the solid copper one) and that made a huge difference.
Plus i moved my boxes to the side of the room where the AC blows directly on them :cool:

BC
07-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Weiner,
Did you use AS-5 as well with the copper core?

If so, remember it takes 200 hours for AS-5 to cure... AND ... it takes
several "hot to room temp and back to hot" cycles to cure. The
cycles are LONG cycles of hot (so it can spread thin), then just long
enough for the CPU to be completely room temp...

Each time you do that, it will drop.... Overall... you will get 2C - 6C
as AS-5 cures in addition to the heatsink .

As for the math... I am willing to help. Tell me what you need.

BC

WienerDog
07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
yes i used AS5 :) you can get it alot cheaper offa e-bay i found.
ive got it running now at 38c with the room temp at 80f.... i think thats not bad?
other boxes oc'ed just a lil on fsb.... not enuff to need a voltage bump and still ran prime95 for 24 hours with no flakyness.....they are all under 45c with Thermaltake coolers that are alum with copper inset

BC
07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
yes i used AS5 :) you can get it alot cheaper offa e-bay i found.
ive got it running now at 38c with the room temp at 80f.... i think thats not bad?
other boxes oc'ed just a lil on fsb.... not enuff to need a voltage bump and still ran prime95 for 24 hours with no flakyness.....they are all under 45c with Thermaltake coolers that are alum with copper inset

Sounds GREAT to me... super job! Yes, AS-5 is cheaper on the web.
I got mine at Fry's. You might FSB bump a bit now. If in the process, you Vdc bump like 0.05 that is right on target. Sometimes 0.075, but VERY rare... only when the supply is over taxed. But that is also dangerous because it could spike and burn down the CPU too. I would up the supply or back the FSB back down if that happens.

My "room" temp (I have to use internal ambient because of HD's etc) is 86F and my CPU is 40C. I'm also at 220 FSB.... I'ld say you are good to go and just make sure you cure it right .. it will fall a little more until finally done.

BC

em99010pepe
07-01-2004, 01:12 PM
About my problem everything is ok now.
Thanks BC. :D

BC
07-01-2004, 04:14 PM
About my problem everything is ok now.
Thanks BC. :D

Good to hear it's all running... when you wrote ver 5... I knew right away.... yyou will like 6. lots more features.

em99010pepe
07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Version 5 works well under Win Me.

BC
07-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Version 5 works well under Win Me.

so was it product conflict or version under that OS or both?

6 works good under everything.

em99010pepe
07-01-2004, 04:38 PM
so was it product conflict or version under that OS or both?

I don't know.