PDA

View Full Version : Milestones i D2OL

Lagu
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Hej

I have checked MacNN’s stats for D20L. To my surprice I notice I have passed the 500 K milestones for a mouth ago. But, Vaughan has passed over 1 MK so he is only to congrats to this result. A lot of crunched conformers so far.

Lagu :D

NeoGen
08-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Lagu, only the top 10 members of our team on D2OL have gone beyond the 500,000 conformers like you. :)

And vaughan has even over 2 million done... :shock:

Lagu
01-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi all

Our mate Vaughan have taken the yellow band back again after the stats were being set to zero in D2OL.

Congrats Vaughan! :salute:

Lagu :D

BlackAdder
01-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I haven't run D2OL in a while so I'm out of the loop, why did the stats reset and might that mean they also lost all of the work that was already done??? :cry:

vaughan
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Rothberg Institute had storms in the area and lost power. The freezers full of specimens were protected by generators. The D2OL and TSC computers were "protected" by UPSs. During a controlled / timed shut-down of the D2OL stats computer the UPS ran out of juice and the files got corrupted. When power was restored the Admin (Charles) tried to revive what he could but made the decision to re-set the stats from Zero.

Several teams who keep stats archived eg Free-DC and Team Norway have offered to send their stats snapshots but Charles hasn't taken up the offer. I don't know why but it may be that they don't contain ALL the info the stats server had.

The bonus for us, looking at the positives first, is that we have jumped up the stats table quickly and their is a golden opportunity for us to gain some ranks fairly easily. Maintaining them will be harder in the long run unless people keep running D2OL. On the downside, we lost thousands of points and many of our personal ranks plummeted. I for one wasn't going to sit around and lose my hard fought yellow ribbon so I put most of my farm to work. Now its back under control again I can spread the GHz elsewhere.

ps. Thanks Lagu :)

Lagu
01-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi

The question is how damaged the reputation of D2OL is. The lost of our and other stats can get members to think: can we ever rely on this project and the peoples who are supporting the servers and other stuff? Think if it happens again! It is easy to think so. As has happen is unique. I think it is the first time such a thing happen and perhaps not the last. Next time it can be another project that lost the stats but I hope it not will happen ever.

I think we will wait and se if the admin (Charles and co) will accept the help as peoples have offered. The question is: how professional are they? Is there any lack of competency?

I read in the forums a member of a team had post a PM where he stated his team wants the stats back. I understand them.

Lagu
:)

Beerknurd
01-24-2006, 12:19 AM
That really sucks that we have to start all over... It is very discouraging... I am hesitating even trying it again...