PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the computer

Lagu
09-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Hello

Have you other any tip to me how to clean my computer? The propeller of the power supply is covered with smell of cooking. I have tried to clean it by a vacuum cleaner. This didn’t help of source. I have my computers in a room near the kitchen. Also, if I will clean the inside of the computer.

Any tip will be highly appreciated
Thanks
Lagu :)

Empty_5oul
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
if the power supply is really clogged it may be time for a new one??

but open the machine up - but make sure if you remove any cables/plugs/wires you remember where they go. and check everything is in securely. then if there is dust and other debris vacume the insides being careful of the components.
then with the power supply take the cading off so you can get to the fan. i find using an old toothbrush is best, then when it is sparkling again (or fit a new one) it should be much quieter. dust usually maximises the noise made.

BlackAdder
09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I use a vacuum and q tips to clean the fans, remove just the fan off of the cpu heat sink and vacuum the fins good, sometimes you can just lean in and blow on the fins to get the dust out while having the vacuum nozzle close to it.I just run the vacuum over the motherboard too. Good Luck!!!

NVM
09-18-2005, 09:13 PM
vacuum won't help much if its greasy stuck-on dust. q-tips and alcohol would work best in combination with some canned air.

BlackAdder
09-18-2005, 10:55 PM
good point, alcohol is non conductive and is a good cleaner.

vaughan
09-19-2005, 12:14 AM
As NVM said alcohol - I use iso-propyl alcohol available from the Optometrist / Optician for cleaning spectacles - will remove oil and grease which traps dust.
Compressed air in a can is good for blowing out dust accumulated around the fins of the HSF and other hard to reach areas. I use Dust Away made by Hellmar but I'm sure a Tandy or Dick Smith electronics or similar will have something equivalent.
Be careful with the vacuum cleaner as you might suck a tiny part off the motherboard. The little clips that tell the m/b what speed to run at (older style m/b) may get removed if you are too eager.
Also be careful vacuuming the fans as you may cause them to spin at higher than their rated speed and do some damage. I clean the fins by hand with a soft paintbrush, canned air and if required some alcohol.

Its dusty dirty work so I finish the job with a well earned bottle of beer, or two. :shock:

Not a good idea to start the cleaning routine on a second computer when you've had too many cleansing ales however. :!:

Lagu
09-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Thank you

Empty-5oul
BlackAdder
NvH
And Vaughan for the tip. I will try it and ofsourse i will be careful.

Lagu :)

Lagu
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Hello!

Now I have cleaned all my computers. I ran to my pharmacist and got Isopropylalkohol. (Swedish spelling) Thanks Vaughan for this tip. Then I bought a spray pot with compressed air. After this, a get home and begin to clean my AMD64. My arsenal was: 1, toothbrush, 2, a toothpick, 3, pegs of cotton, 4 Isopropyl 5, compressed air and a vacuum cleaner. First, I remove all cables to the power supply and open it for cleaning. Then, the fans as was the worst. Especially 12 cm big fan I use in the A64. I tried to use my entire arsenal but was not satisfied. Suddenly I remember my vacuum cleaner. If you don’t know it, this is a real compressor. I change hole and mounted the hose coupling in the other hole back the vacuum cleaner. O Boys, what an effect using a small pipe there all dust was rapidly removed. I only need to clean the fan propeller by hands.

Conclusion: Isopropyl is very nice and effective. A vacuum cleaner that blows out is much effective. It helps you clean your computer faster. Even toothbrush and pegs of cotton is to good help. The compressed air isn’t worth to pay. It cost too much. If you think to test to blow out, I recommend you take your computer to the outside of your home. If not, you must clean the room you use.

Good luck
Lagu :D ;)

Jeff
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Don't air compressors use oils and lubricants that can blow onto the computer??

You may want to be careful using an air compressor.

Jeff

Keith75
09-26-2005, 08:37 PM
For years I have used my air compressor and haven't had a problem yet. The only thing I am carefull about it not directing the air at any delicate parts such as where the heatsink and CPU meet. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Keith

Jeff
09-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Hmm, nice to know. I've never tried using it, I thought I had read it somewhere. But hey, personal experiences are the best.

Now only if I had an air compressor....

Lagu
09-26-2005, 09:21 PM
SPJEFF69

I don’t use a real compressor with 100 Bar. It was in a tin filled by air. This tin was too weak. It is only as a breath of wind. You can use a vacuum cleaner without pipe. This will give you a smaller hard blow out. You can adjust the vacuum cleaner so it not blow so hard.

Lagu ;)

Keith75
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I set my compressor to 60 psi when I blow my computers out. One warning that people selling the compressed air in cans tell you is that using an air compressor can spray oil or water onto the computer parts but oil is only a problem if you have an oiler in your compressor line, which I don't, and water can be taken care of by simply draining the water out every time you use it. I always check for water but have never seen any come out of the line.

Keith

gatekeeper53
09-14-2006, 09:19 PM
I have used my compresser for years also the only problem I ever had was an 80mm fan. I didn't hold it still as I was cleaning it (fun to watch, like a kids pinwheel) well the bearings aren't designed to move at the speed 40 psi in a 1/4 inch tube will develop. Had to replace the fan, Since then I just make sure to clean the fans first with a toothbrush then hold them stationary with my finger when I apply the air. The air is great for getting all the acculation out of the heatsink. As someone else said just use good judgment with the air and you'll be fine. Outside is also a great idea.

Beerknurd
09-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Every few months I crack open the case and blow some canned air in there. It seems to help. I never have to clean more than that because I don't let them get that dirty...

Lagu
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
When cleaned you our computer last?

Yesterday my AMD64 “died”. I started it again and it ran over the night then when I checked my computers it was dead again. I have long known I should take care of it but put the problems off. I had some bad conscience for not take it seriously.:icon_redface:

When I opened the chassis I saw the worst of dust and fat fans I ever had seen on any of my computers. It was a while since I cleaned them. My Intel was badly dusted and I had to clean it a few weeks ago. A big difference between AMD64 and Intel C2D: AMD has a large 12 cm Zalman fan while Intel has a lesser fan but it has a large Akasa Ultra Quiet amber fan mounted on the opposite side to the CPU as is easy remove. It is mush easier and lesser tight clean Intel’s CPU-fan. The Zalman fan has fridge flense around the fan as is difficult clean.

I guess what I write is well-known for you all. :icon_wink: