PDA

View Full Version : AMD and Dual Core

Lagu
09-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Hello

I wonder what differences is between Hypertreading and Multitasking? We know Hypertreading is when a computer has 2 works at the same time. AMD´s new dual core is make for multitasking as I have read, not to run 2 works at the same time. The experts mean multitasking is when for ex. Word, Adobe Reader, Photoshop, CAD and many other programs are used simultaneous.
My monthly magazine PC för Alla have tested a dual core when they ran 2 macro-files at the same time and noticed a decrease of 30% of the processor capacity but this was very good compared to a single processor.

Any who have experience from a dual core?

Lagu ;)

NeoGen
10-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Lagu,

Take a look at this article from tom's hardware guide.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/200508011/index.html

The conclusion is...

Those users who routinely push their computers to their limits - running multiple programs at the same time, manipulating one or more large data sets, spawning multiple, large, independent process trees, and so forth - will find a dual core processor beneficial. In these case, a dual core design matters more than actual CPU speed, making the 3800+ a great value.

Those who don't belong to this user class, however, will discover that dual core processors don't make much difference, and hence, that the new entry-level Athlon 64 X2 3800+ isn't worth the extra cost involved.

I think it's safe to say we belong to that first group of users... :)

Lagu
10-01-2005, 11:57 PM
NeoGen

Thanks for the link. I have read all pages and it was wery interesting. I understand i isn´t wort the money to bough a 4000+ or higher. The AMD 3800+ is enough.

Lagu :D

Beerknurd
10-02-2005, 03:39 AM
I love my Dual Core PC..... It's not AMD, but at least it's a dual core... :lol:

Nflight
01-13-2006, 03:17 AM
OK let me tell you I have both a single 64 model 3500+ and a 4200+ dual core. I am very much into pushing the living hell out of these two devices to get the most out of my purchased computing power!

Ok so lets look at my situation first hand, I have both working wireless to the router which is accually underground for security purposes. Yes I am not normal for most people I do security work and found that the best place to put the WAP is under the surface of the earth. I have found that the limits of the WAP is enough to bring about thoughts of security so I lowered the capabilites below the surface of the house I live in so only people stepping within 5 feet of the house perimeter can access my network. There is no reason I need to place the WAP router at the top of any shelf or cupboard because the strength of the signal allows people I don't want on my computer network that I really don't want on.

I have several problems arising not from situations I have to thinking about as to what is doing what ,when, and how. I have a wireless camera that continues to upload a video output to a website. This is so my brother 3,000 miles away can access my web camera and I can access his at regular intervals. This takes bandwidth away from my computers only during the day. I will explain.

Linksys cameras work on the art of shipping bits only when something changes. With this in mind the camera is quite still duing the evening because everything is dark and only when a car drives by does the shift in bandwidth occur. So with this knowledge I can effectively handle Majestic 12 magnificently at night. During the day that is where the bandwidth dwindles to zilch. This is due to the amount of change in the camera, more moment means more bandwidth.

Ok so we past that part of the hardware problems with dual cores, lets move on to the more important items like functioning with out errors.
I have the 4200+ running on a 1 gig of memory and have been having problems with corrupted files and a whole lot more I hate to say this device is not making me happy at all. I moved back and analyzed this over a cool day of what the F*ck is wrong with my system attitude. I figured out that I am starving my 4200+.

The 3500+ has been the shame pusher from day one with the 2 gig of RAM memory I can not overload the machine with so much as putting everything at it and it still manages to operate. The 4200+, well I am not happy with this machine at all. But it is a mistaken identity of my own mistaken identity I made the error of thinking in reverse order that if you add an additional core of CPU you would not need the additional memory to run such a machine. I was wrong, you need just as much to operate the machine as efficiently as the 3500+. So with my strangle hold on the 4200+ I am actually asking this machine to operate with 512 meg of RAM per CPU instead of 4 gig it needs to run effectively(2 gig per CPU).

I also have other machines I am learning on and one is a SUN Ultra 30 which has more ram then any other machine I have ever had before. I thought this was Bonk, but it now dawns on me as why they use this, it is because the system has to write to the HDD less and makes the most out of free floating operational computations instead of addressing the work to locations in the PAge File.

Ok So I have made you weary of my writings let someone else talk.

Oh yea I am now on a wired connection and doing almost twice the output on Majestic12. I just wish wireless was faster.. I also have doubler installed but with these numbers I am pissed!

Suggestions please!

Empty_5oul
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
try this on storage/memory. i found it very useful (section 8.2)

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO/memory-management.html

The more memory the less it has to be paged and moved about. So less reading and writing to disk = quicker performance.

AMDave
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
You are one of the most security concious people I know of and I admire your ingenuity.

Yet, I think that installing a subterranian wireless access device may be a mix of security solutions resulting in a less than perfect outcome.

The world bank deals in virtual dollars but they don't bury their network access points - they need to be able to use them. They do, on the otherhand, stash gold bars away (probably underground) for security when they are not using them - and also so that no-one else can use them either.

Putting anything other than an amplifier between a transmitter and a receiver will degrade transmission performance. Better to be logical protection than something physical so that you can get the most out of the dollars you spent on the equipment.

Try this...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm
If you complete all points 1 through 11 and cover off all 17 points of this
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1152933,00.asp
(some are the same)
you will still be among the most security concious people I know of.
There are a lot of more detailed explanations of how to secure your wireless devices. Bang in "wireless security" to Yahoo Search and see what you get.
You should get an improved performance out of your wireless device.

If you are truly above that level of concern regarding wireless leakage then ditch (via eBay of course) the wireless and go back to ethernet ;) I am a fly-by-wire person myself.

Also the RAM...I rarely come across instances where you need more than a Gig of RAM per CPU, although digital cameras and DVD videos along with fast FPS games are really pushing that upwards fast.

The first thing I do on buying a new machine these days is slap in more RAM at 1GB per CPU > MINIMUM <. When you hit the limit you know about it really fast. Better not to hit it at all.

Gd luck with the network thing. Let us know how it goes.

Keith75
01-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Speaking of RAM when are the MB manufacturers going to let us use more than 3 or 4 GB of RAM on our A64s? Couldn't they at least bump the limit to 10 Gig or something?

Nflight
01-13-2006, 07:36 PM
You know when you have found the limit? When BSOD comes to visit more then once a day! Thats yoru limit.

I read all this neat stuff to tweak my machine and want to thank everyone who donated the brain power and also those comforting exemplary comments of my knowledge pursuit in IT security.

We want to go faster, well reading just this afternoon I stumbled over this, it may be a little technical but damn worth the read:

Researchers Develop Quantum Processor

Jay Wrolstad, newsfactor.com Fri Jan 13, 11:17 AM ET

A computer chip based on the esoteric science of quantum mechanics has been created by researchers at the University of Michigan. The chip might well pave the way for a new generation of supercomputers.

Employing the same semiconductor-fabrication techniques used to create common computer chips, the Michigan team was able to trap a single atom within an integrated chip and control it using electrical signals.

Two Places at Once

As of yet, the technology is not applicable to typical desktop PCs or servers, but quantum computers are said to be promising because they can solve complicated problems using massively parallel computing.

That is accomplished by the quirky nature of quantum mechanics, said Christopher Monroe, a physics professor and the principal investigator and co-author of the paper "Ion Trap in a Semiconductor Chip." He explained that that chips can process multiple inputs at the same time in the same device.

"With quantum mechanics, an object can be in two places at the same time, as long as you don't look at it," he said. The quantum computer architecture can store quantum bits (qubits) of information, where each qubit can hold the numbers one or zero, or even both digits simultaneously.

When a qubit is added to a quantum system, the computing power doubles. Thus, the quantum machine can crunch numbers at a rate that is exponentially faster than conventional processors, said Monroe.

New Spin on Semiconductors

Electrically charged atoms (ions) for such quantum computers are stored in traps in order to isolate the qubits, a process that is essential for the system to work.

The challenge is that current ion traps can hold only a few atoms, or qubits, and are not easily scaled, making it difficult to create a quantum chip that can store thousands or more atomic ions. A string of such atoms, in theory, could store thousands of bits of information.

In the chip created at Michigan, which is the size of a postage stamp, the ion is confined in a trap while electric fields are applied. Laser light puts a spin on the ion's free electron, enabling it to flip it between the one or zero quantum states.

The spin of the electron dictates the value of the qubit. For example, an up-spin can represent a one, or a down-spin can represent a zero -- or the qubit can occupy both states simultaneously.

Applications for Cryptography (Hey what about DC-ing?)

The quantum processor is made of gallium arsenide in a layered structure and etched with electrodes using the same type of lithography process as those used to create today's computer chips. Each electrode is connected to a separate voltage supply, and these various electrical voltages control the ion by moving as it hovers in a space carved out of the chip.

The next step is to build a bigger chip with many more electrodes, so that it can store more ions. There still is a lot of work to be done to learn how to control lots of ions in one of these chips. It won't be nearly as easy as it was with conventional computer chips, but at least we know what to do in principle, Monroe said.

"This type of integrated chip structure is significant because it demonstrates a way to scale the quantum computer to bigger systems," Monroe said. "It has applications for processing very large [data sets] such as in cryptography, for example, and there is a lot of interest in this by the government."

Nflight
02-25-2006, 04:32 AM
It has been awhile since I spoke last, you see I have been perfecting my system to its perfect best. I am at the top of the SIMAP list I am #5 out 0f over 3400 users.

This is a feat most can't believe so I must show you with a link:
http://boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de/boincsimap/top_hosts.php

I am #5 there is no other way to achieve this acheivement but by tweaking ones system day after day to get the most out of it. You either push yourself to get maximum performance out of an XP machine or you find an alternative OS.

There is an alternative, I have been reading and asking questions day after day. It seems that the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition has a feature that allows all outside access to be cutoff. This allows the machine to perform at maximum performance without flaws.

Let your mind run free with a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition, retail price is $500.oo a pop... You can purchase cheaper if you buy more then 10 at a time!

NeoGen
02-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Very nice NFlight! :)

Above you now are only two Opterons, a 4400+ and a 4800+.
That Opteron 248 is in close range, I'd say it is a good next target! :)