View Full Version : XP-settings

Lagu
10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Hello

In Win Xp there can be some settings

Clicking on My computer-properties-advanced-settings-advanced shows following:

Adjust for the best performance: 1 “Program”, 2 “Backgrounds service”
Using of memory 1 “Program”, 2 “System cache”
I have Program as settings in both categories. When running different projects, whish settings are the best? If I myself use the computer, I believe this setting is right?
If I don’t use the computermyself, what settings should I have?

Lagu :)

carlos
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Lagu,

I have this:

Adjust for the best performance:2 “Backgrounds service”
Using of memory 1 “Program”

Don't ask me why.

Cheers,

Carlos

Empty_5oul
10-09-2005, 07:08 PM
these are my current settings and understanding:

use of memory: you want programs first. meaning whatever you have currently open gets optimum use with the system (cache) being second. This doesnt matter if you use othe machine or leave it idle or DC'ing (the memory is always best allocated to the open program).

best performance: depends how you setup your DC programs. If they are setup as services (e.g as DHEP usually is) then background services would be best. but if you double click a shortcut or .exe then program is best. Whilst you are using the machine program would be best as running outlook, word or whatever else is a program not a service.
Whichever you set priority to, the remains still go to the other, so programs then services or services then programs. If you leave it idle and dc'ing 100% should still go to either it may be slightly slower going through programs first but anytime you use the machine you would want programs as 1).