PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezes/boot up issues

Jeff
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Sometimes my computer will just freeze and I'll have to turn it off and turn it back on. Somtimes when I turn it back on, the monitor does not come back on as if its not getting any signal from the computer.

I've ran Prime95 for 8 hours and had 0 errors and I ran memtest86 and it had no errors.

Any suggestions?

AMDave
10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
without any error message, this points to the cpu / ram / GPU
ie if it was HDD then you would get an error message
Have you tried removing and re-seating the RAM simms, GPU card
If you have paste you could re-seat the cpu as well.
I'd also unplug and re-seat each of the cables too.
Check the PSU voltages and reseat the power cables as well.
Is the graphics driver the latest available?

Keith75
10-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Could be so many things but I have a machine that is the same way. It would lock randomly but only if you were playing music or video on it. Replaced the PSU, DIMMs and CPU but nothing fixed it. Turned out to be the motherboard. I have had two Soyo boards and both have been real junk. Now I stick to Asus or MSI.

Keith

Jeff
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, I was running a beta version of Nvidia's Geforce driver.

I have the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board.

It seems to freeze when its idle. For example, I'll go to sleep and the next morning it'll freeze.

Weird.

mitro
10-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Well, I was running a beta version of Nvidia's Geforce driver.

I have the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board.

It seems to freeze when its idle. For example, I'll go to sleep and the next morning it'll freeze.

Weird.

Its funny you would say that.... I was having the same problem and I believe at the time I was running the 81.xx drivers. I thought somehow I was unstable, but I had run dual Primes for 20+ hours with no problem earlier on (this is on the X2). I have since switched drivers, BUT I also bumped up my vcore a notch, so I dunno for sure which was the culprit.

mitro
10-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Well... overnight I dropped my vcore back down a notch and woke up this morning to a frozen computer. :banghead: One difference with me is that mine always reboots fine.

Oh... forgot to mention that I have a DFI NF4 LanParty Ultra-D.

Jeff
10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, well I reinstalled a driver that has been officially released. So for no lockups.

we'll have to see how it goes

Empty_5oul
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
try idleing it overnight and see what happens.

poss. try a prog like "speedfan" which will tell you a load of temps/wattages etc. see if anything is out of line.

Jeff
10-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Are these numbers bad for my power supply?

+12v = 11.776
+5v = 4.919
+3.3v = 3.296

mitro
10-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Those are ALL within acceptable specs. The 12v may be a bit low, but measurements reported by the motherboard are notoriously inaccurate. Best way to check is with a multimeter.

Jeff
10-20-2005, 02:54 AM
It's prob a crap powersupply. It's made by aspire. I don't think thats a great brand