PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling WIN SP2

Lagu
10-24-2005, 08:03 PM
To all who is running Windows SP2

Have you ever tried to uninstall Win SP? I have and I wish to tell you all about the cause and how it went.

I began as many know to run Majestic12. From the beginning all was fine. One day the node stopped getting work and the network between my Athlon and the router didn’t work properly. I had reached the limit of TCP/IP connections as Windows allowed. (Look at the heading in topic Majestic12). I downloaded the patch and installed it. I went over to run Boinc instead for a while and my connection was acceptable.

After 2 days running Boinc. I started the node again but get too many “Timed out” and the category “Successes” was only 76% high. An acceptable level should be at least 80%. One day an upgrade of the node was available. I downloaded it and continue to run. After 4 hours, the node restarted. It ran a few hours more then the node restarted again. I shouted the node down, rebooted the computer and started the node. After 5 minutes run, the node restarted and after that the node restarted once and once again.

I checked the log in Administrator tools and there was a lot of warnings and faulty.
I though: I will do a reinstall to repair Win XP. I use my upgrade disc (I have upgrade from Win Millennium earlier) When I got the frame who shows different alternative, I clicked on Install XP > Reinstall > Ok. A window appeared who said: “You have a never version than you wish to install, click on Close”. That was SP2 who cause this so Windows was a never version than on the disc.

What to do :?:
I decide to remove SP2 through [Add/remove]. I began to remove and waited to the procedure had got to end. When the computer had started again I discovered this uninstall went not well. I had lost the [Task bar], Explorer was corrupt and Windows couldn’t find a file who I don’t know what is was.

Who should I do now? :?:
Yes, I send a [-o< to my God and done following: using my original SP disc I clicked on new install (Clean install) and let all happen as it happen. During the install, I was asking use the disc for start-up. I typed ok and the frame change to blue colour. There I have several choices. As this was a clean install and I had 2 partitions, I changed format from FAT32 to NTFS. I also use to create a large 2nd partition. (This was the first time ever as I use to do that. I have always upgraded only)”.
The installation went well and to my surprise the connection worked as I newer seen it before. The bulbs were so silent on the router but both the Gateway and the modem connection was perfect. Before the bulbs of the router was blinking intensively and very hard.

Now I connected to Windows update. I got 29 to be exactly the first time. The 2nd times I connected to Win update where there 4 more. The third time there was 7 updates. But, no Net framework 1.1. I searched after it and downloaded this software. Then I downloaded the Zone Alarm Pro, Panda Antivirus and Ad-aware. When Win update was searing I got a hit when SP2 come up. But, I refused to download it. I want to test Majestic12 without SP2 so I downloaded the node again and began to crunch. After on hour the “Successes” vas 91.1%!!
Lather it fell to 85% but this results is normally. 91.1 were more than good.
It was good to clean the registry and Windows from eventually millennium files and other programs I have used but remove. I have not yet downloaded SP2.
The standard edition is running without any issue or problems.

This “Operation” took the whole night. Many cups of coffee were drunk. Downloading files was fast. It was the installing procedure as got slow + all times the computer should reboot.

Conclusion:
Removing SP2 can cause problems for someone, no problems for other.
SP2 is both good and bad. Bad when there is too many secure functions as can affect for ex. connections or programs who not will work properly. Good for some of the secure functions that is implemented. The fact there is a limit for the TCP/IP connections is not acceptable.
SP2 use to get a standard Win XP a new level who avoids one from running upgrade only.

Lagu :) ;)
(A new experience richer)

NeoGen
10-25-2005, 12:37 AM
That must have been a fun night. :lol:

I'm just kidding. I know how painfully annoying it can be to format a computer and reinstall everything. I do it to my own machine, and to friends/family too several times a year each... :roll: