PDA

View Full Version : Find-a-Drug closing

NeoGen
11-03-2005, 04:23 AM
http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/news.html

1-Nov-05 Find-a-Drug to close
The Find-a-Drug project has now processed more queries than the original 250 we envisaged. We have also targetted most of the recognised protein targets for the major project areas. Where we have been able to obtain experimental data to confirm biological activity, the predictions have exceeded our expectations. Our experience suggests that it will be difficult to find collaborators who will be interested in the results of targetting proteins whose biological function is unknown or of little therapeutic interest.

We have concluded that there are insufficient worthwhile protein queries to continue the project into 2006 and have decided to close the project on 16 December 2005. We will continue to make some new queries available over the coming weeks but will not accept results after the close of the project.

We are obviously very grateful for the contributions of members and will continue to work with our collaborators.

Another great project is saying bye bye.... :cry:

vaughan
11-03-2005, 04:42 AM
That's a shame.

What is wrong with Distributed Computing projects these days? They don't seem to last very long. Even the venerable Seti got messed up going to BOINC. What I mean is the quality of the Seti Classic screensaver is in my opinion much better graphics than the one in Seti BOINC.

Recent DC casualties, retirements, closures, whatever ... Grub, Shoft, Message-AT-home but I suppose it evolved into PrimeGrid, United Devices but it became Grid.Org, and the list goes on.

We'll just have to crunch away at some of the massive Maths projects like MersennePrime if we want longevity. For the BOINC'ers there is Climate Prediction and its long running tasks too.

Lagu
11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Hej

Guy’s, stay up, remember and don’t forgot the crunching era of that time when we had the fastest, strongest and most powerful computers who was Intel Pentium I, II and III and AMD K5, 6 and 7. I remember when I got my Intel 80368 PS2 1993, OS Windows 3.0. This computer was so slow, 33 MHz, 32 MB RAM and 6 MB`s hard disc. This computer was not maked for crunching. 1996 I got my Intel Pentium I, 350 MHz, 64 MB RAM and 6 GB hard disc. I use this computer to crunch SETI and use circa 9 hours to crunch a WU. Year 1999 I got my Athlon 5162 EA (AMD K 7), 1001 GHz, 128 MB RAM and 40 GB hard disc. AMD64 3200+ (AMD K 8) was born 2004, 2.247 GHz, 1,024 GB RAM and 80 GB hard disc.

Crunching different project went slowly and it takes longer time to get the project complete.
There was also lesser with peoples who crunch these project.

Today we have AMDAthlon 64x2, AMD Turion, AMD 64XF and AMD 64x2 Dual Core,
Intel Pentium 4 using hyper treading and Intel Celeron and so on. MHz is from 1.7 - 3.4 MHz. A great difference compared with our first crunching machine.

To crunch a WU from SETI today use these processors from AMD and Intel, what a difference. More and more peoples discovered what DC is and join. I think we should not be
Surprised when a project seems to be complete or is in the testing phase shorter than before when we all have the fastest and powerfully computers as we can buy to an acceptable price.

In the future we can se processors that are twice so fast than our fastest today, that I’m sure of.

Lagu :)

ahab3333
11-06-2005, 01:04 AM
since findadrug is ending does anyone have a good idea for my computer. i was thinking world computing grib?

Ototero
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
How about folding @ home. We're always losing places there :cry:

Elez
11-07-2005, 06:30 PM
hey guys, long time no post :)
(small update just to give my excuse for long time no posting: just started 3rd year of biomedical engineering... and I had to study all summer cuz here in Israel you don't really get out of the army completely 'till you're like 40 or something.. used to be 50.. nm... so I had to do military crap during tests so I had makeup tests all summer long... how fun)

aaaaaaaanywayz, back to business. now that fad's closing... could someone tell me about some kewl medicine/science related project that has a graphical client for Linux? (I know Seti has one but it's of no interest to me)
thanks guys... gosh, that was a long preview and a short message.. oh well

c'ya :)

NeoGen
11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Elez

Long time no see. Seems like you've been having fun. :lol:
Just kidding. ;)

There's plenty of biomedical related projects and most run on linux. About having a graphical client I don't know, I don't run linux. But my guess is that at least the boinc ones can be worked through a graphical application.

World Community Grid has just started their Linux client on Boinc this month, it could be a good one for you.
Rosetta@Home is also a fairly new and very active boinc project, with support for linux.
Predictor@Home is yet another boinc project on that field, and has been around for a while longer than Rosetta@Home.
And for non-boinc projects that run on linux, we got D2OL, TSC and Folding@Home. Can't say anything about them because I rarely even run their windows versions, let alone linux.

So, you got three boinc and three non-boinc options. And we're only talking on the biomedical branch, if you also go for sciences then there's a dozen more of them. Pick what you like most and crunch away! :)

Also, here's the link to our DC Matrix page (needs some updating)
http://stats.amdusers.com/amd_users_dc_matrix.html

ahab3333
11-07-2005, 09:33 PM
i decided that world communtiy grid was doing the best work right now for the biology side.

Elez
11-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Wonderful, NeoGen, you've been most helpful!
I'll go check into'em right now. (starting with world community grid, ahab :) )

and yeah... I am kinda havin' fun at school, I hate homework but other than that it's kewl :lol: