PDA

View Full Version : microFluids project - uFluids

vaughan
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
The new BOINC project μFluids is attracting some interest in the DC community so its time to create a forum thread for it.

Come and join us and make sure you grab an account at www.ufluids.net ASAP as the initial account limit is 100 participants and there are only 18 spots remaining (at time of writing).

The AMD Users team account for you to join is here:

www.ufluids.net/create_account_form.php?teamid=3

gamer007
11-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Signed up. I'm account # 95. So 5 more spots I assume.

How's long are the WUs?

EDIT: Found this on the Distributed Computing site:

μFluids a BOINC-based science project, will simulate "two-phase fluid behavior in microgravity and microfluidics problems" in order to "design better satellite propellant management devices and address two-phase flow in microchannel and MEMS devices." The project is currently in a pre-alpha stage, but work units are often available and participants can contribute useful results. The project is limiting its total participants to 100 until the project software is upgraded some time in January.

The project uses the BOINC computing platform to run various applications. See the BOINC platform information for the latest version of the BOINC client. Version 4.01 of the project's evolver software application is available for Windows as of September 19, 2005. Note that this version of the client does not update the progress indicator. The next release of the client, which should be available in the next few weeks, will update the progress indicator. Note also that a single work unit can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several days to complete, with an average completion time of 8 hours. The client currently does not support the BOINC suspend/resume function, but may in a future release. If you have to exit the BOINC manager, or if your computer shuts down, while BOINC is processing a uFluids work unit, BOINC will restart the work unit at the beginning. The client is currently only available for Windows, but the project owners will develop a Linux client in the near future, followed by a Mac OSX client.

I don't care about completion time, but the restarting of WU when BOINC is suspended is what I don't like. While I signed up, I think I'll wait for a bit before attaching.

NeoGen
11-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Those big ones were tests they were doing some time ago. They ended up being canceled by the project admin because few people could finish them.
Got some workunits here that took between 1 and 3 hours only.

NeoGen
11-11-2005, 07:31 AM
C'mon people, we need some help here.

Where's your spirit of adventure? Getting on board of alpha projects is always fun! :P

Lagu
11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Hej

The more we are the better and the lesser we are the smaller is our chance. United we stand :?:

Lagu :)

Lagu
11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Hej!

I was running this task with a limit of 1.24 hour but it overstepped and ran I think 16 hours and was then aborted. I think this task was a bad one.

2005-11-11 15:45:30|uFluids|Aborting result bubble4a_45_1_69_0_4000_0.0001_0_1: exceeded CPU time limit 50801.282051
2005-11-11 15:45:30|uFluids|Unrecoverable error for result bubble4a_45_1_69_0_4000_0.0001_0_1 (Maximum CPU time exceeded)
2005-11-11 15:45:30|uFluids|Deferring communication with project for 1 minutes and 0 seconds
2005-11-11 15:45:31||request_reschedule_cpus: process exited
2005-11-11 15:45:31|uFluids|Computation for result bubble4a_45_1_69_0_4000_0.0001_0_1 finished

Lagu :cry:

NeoGen
11-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I guess they haven't fully perfected the workunits yet, but at least it's only one in many.

And Robert implemented what I had asked about in the project forums. A limit in case the workunits go on and on indefinetly! Your workunit shut itself down after 50800 seconds of cpu work.

Lagu
11-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Hej

The limit was 100 participants. uFluid has now 123???
It isn´t too late yet I think.

Lagu
11-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Hej

It is time for all to begin to crunch. Otherwise we will have 60 as rank.
I myself have 11 tasks queued wisch will run 23 hours if not some of them got a failure and ended too early.
Gamer007 please get us a boost!

Lagu
11-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Hej

In uFluids forum they have begin to secure members. They doesn’t respect what I have written and I think we could do the same. Implement our logo as other have done or paste and qute a link to our website.

To all Teams!

It isn’t fair play to use this forum to secure members. Fair play is when all are respecting this. Members can be secured on your own homepage!
Thank you
Lagu

Empty_5oul
11-13-2005, 06:37 PM
lagu - where you post at other forums could you put this in your signature?

http://www.amdusers.com/danny/amdaffiliate.gif

link to above image: http://www.amdusers.com/danny/amdaffiliate.gif

Lagu
11-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks Empty_5oul

I tried it and got it to work. I have also keept it in my picture map for furter use.

Lagu :D

Empty_5oul
11-13-2005, 08:08 PM
looks much better now :D

Lagu
11-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Hej

The whole Boinc gang seems to take ower both the forum and the 5 best rank. Where are all AMDusers as join? have all begin to get work and are running these?

FreeDC is near us and we can be stomped. I wonder why Beerknurd not has got any points and also Gamer007?

I got a lot of points after rinning 9 WU´s.

NeoGen
11-14-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm all over it too.
The new application with progress percentage showing was already launched and there's plenty of work for it. I haven't seen it yet because I still have a handfull of workunits of the old application to crunch.

Also, I noticed we got a quiet member crunching uFluids with us. :)

MiHost, (if you're seeing this) what do you think of uFluids? Had any good or bad experiences with it that you wanna tell us?

Lagu
11-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Hej

Yes I have notised that but I thoug he was a old joined member as have been silent.

PoorBoy
11-14-2005, 10:12 PM
I've joined the uFluids AMD Users Team but I have just to much going on in some of the other BOINC Projects to be of any help right now.

I'll try & help out as soon as I'm able to ... :cool:

gamer007
11-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Right.. sorry, but I also have lots of work to do on BOINC. SETI, Predictor, Einstein, LHC and Primegrid.

I'll gladly help on uFluids after I'm done all of those. One thing I don't want is BOINC switching to another WU when crunching uFluids. :)

AMDave
11-15-2005, 09:03 AM
HEADS UP !

Bok has uFluids on the Free-DC stats. Already !

Fancy footwork there I think.

Thanks Bok. \:D/

gamer007
11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm finally crunching for uFluids. :)

Lagu
11-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Gamer007

Thank you for joining this project. We need as many we can get and of cource a AMD x2 outputting 5 GHz ;)

AQUAJOE
11-18-2005, 03:15 AM
I joined the team and have an account but have not recieved an email with my code.

vaughan
11-18-2005, 03:26 AM
That's the spirit guys. The more the merrier, hey :!:

Has anyone had any long running molecules to crunch in uFluids since Robert upgraded to evolver 4.02 :?:

Maybe its just my luck but I have a few bubble4a tasks that are estimated to take 12 hours on my xp3200+

On the P4 2.66GHz notebook these tasks are estimated at 48 hours :!: :shock:

NeoGen
11-18-2005, 05:22 AM
all the latest ones I've had take around 14/15 hours on my XP 2000+

Lagu
11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Hej

I have 2 WUs whish have a limit set to 11.47.30 on my AMD 3200+ and 2 limited to 11.59. But I will see if it takes this time or if the task will be longer or shorter. Sometimes a limit is set but the task is done earlier if there not is any fault on my eyes.
I ran a benchmark yesterday because I don´t receive a work. The server got new information.

Measured Floating Point Speed: 2.032.53 million ops/ sec.
Measured Integer Speed: 3.867.97 million ops/sec.

I think this Benchmark should be a little better yet if I should close ZoneAlarm and Panda antivirus program.

I´m surpriced that Vaughan´s Intel need 48 hour. Thank God I have an AMD. There we can se the differense between Intel and AMDs arcitecture and philosophy.

Lagu
11-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Hej

Observations: The task who should be running in 11.47 hour was done after 7.04 hour. My eyes have not lurk me :D

I think the Intels 48 hour will be lesser than the limit as have been set.

Lagu ;)

mitro
11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I've put a machine on μFluids atleast for the time being.

vaughan
11-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Hej Lagu,

I don't know if its an Intel versus AMD thing or just the fact that uFluids is an ALPHA project :!: but ...

bubble4a_45_1_90_0.764_15000_0.0001_0.382_4 took 4:15:41 (so far) not 48 hours and its Progress is currently 360% ...

I'll just let it crunch as long as it wants.

Lagu
11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Hej

I should watch uFluids ”Top participants” and check after WU´s as I have done and these who was pending. I found 8 tasks worth 460 points who was pending. I have computer-id 24. I have run 40 tasks so far.
Clicked on computer-id to see whish other was running the same task. There was other, one with computer-ID 11. Clicked on this a new page opened and the owner is Jeffrey Robinson. He has done 428 work units. How the hell has he done that I think. Clicking on that number a page opened who show all his 428 works had erroded out as far he begins to crunch them. No points there. He have run the same work unit as me whish now is pending. In the stats page that guy have 3.697.15 in “Total credits” and 70.71 in “Recent average credits”. It is a little smaller than me and Vaughan together! I wonder where/how he has got all credits. All 428 WU´s, use zero CPU-usage.
I also noticed computer-ID 27 had got more points for the same WU as me:
Computer-ID 24: Claimed credits=94.91, Granted credits=94.91 CPU-time=27.480.91
Computer-ID 27: Claimed credits=142.59, Granted credits=94.91, CPU-time=31.436.53.

Have he got better claimed credits because he have crunch this WU longer than me?
I think he has over clocked his CPU because of higher Integer speed. But this seems not to be to any advantage because he use longer time to crunch this WU.

I don’t know how they calculate the points but it seems not to be fair. It should be much better if we all got the same points and not need to wait for other to done the same work units. If any stop runs this project any can lose CPU-hours to no use. If I run a task and got say 100 points immediately and the other 100 if they should run the task to the end.

Have you any comments to above?

NeoGen
11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
The computer id 11 problem was already reported in the uFluids forums, and a few others like it were also found. It's not a problem for us if they turn back errors on the workunits because the boinc scheduler resends that same workunit to someone else.
And the differences in claimed credit for more or less equal machines sometimes have to do with different boinc versions. I heard that boinc v5 claims more credits per workunit than v4. In this project it could be good for us to use boinc v5, as the lowest claimed credit seems to always be the chosen value for granting. If we claim more, we got a better chance to get more.

NVM
11-20-2005, 08:06 PM
hmmm,this project seems to have too many problems. always good to have testers though.

Anonymous
11-21-2005, 01:03 AM
The computer id 11 problem was already reported in the uFluids forums, and a few others like it were also found. It's not a problem for us if they turn back errors on the workunits because the boinc scheduler resends that same workunit to someone else.
And the differences in claimed credit for more or less equal machines sometimes have to do with different boinc versions. I heard that boinc v5 claims more credits per workunit than v4. In this project it could be good for us to use boinc v5, as the lowest claimed credit seems to always be the chosen value for granting. If we claim more, we got a better chance to get more.

NeoGen

I´m running version 5.2.6 of Boinc

Lagu ;)

gamer007
11-22-2005, 10:08 PM
I've resumed my crunching for ufluids. Sorry abt nothing going on since I said im crunching, but ive been busy.

At the time of this post, about 9:41 has passed. Est. 12:39 left.

How long on average is each WU?

EDIT: 11:49 hrs. Est 13:37. 15.20%

I may stop crunching after this WU, I'm not really that fond of long work units. Sorry guys. :-(

vaughan
11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
They vary a bit. Some are around 12 hours but one of my P4 3.2s is estimating 40+ hours. YMMV.

Lagu
12-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Hello

I’ve been busy but now I have time to write a message about uFluid. It has been a little silent and I wish to ask which as actually running this project every day or 7/24. I am running this project day and night all days and only this project on a dedicated computer. I don’t chare this computer between other projects because it should decrease the results. uFluid is hard enough to run when a WU´s takes 6-7 hours. If I should chare this between another WU I should fall back in the rank and our team too. There is enough hard concurrence.

There are some members as seems as they first have been crunching uFluid for a little while but lather disappeared from it.

Actually of 11 participants there are Vaughan, I myself, NeoGen, Mihost, Havayoth (another Swede and participant) and Ototero, as have joined this project and make a contribution to our results as no 4 in Teams stats. We have an average of 760.87 points and our complete points are 17.814.98 in this time when I’m writing this message.
Our nearest concurrent is The Mannings who is 3.621.96 points far from us. They are only 3 participants there. But, what happen if they got 5 more?

I think it is good to keep uFluid running more or less so we can hold our rank. Until now all in the team have done great results so long all have crunched the WU´s.
How about our members as joined after the 100 first participants: Have they never got a work unit :?:

Cheers

NeoGen
12-03-2005, 01:16 AM
I have not been running it 24/7 lately. I've been having some stability issues on windows, which is bad because this project can't make suspend/resume.
So I've been making batches of 4 or 5 workunits and then a pause to reboot, check the machine, and make a few other works on it, and the next day I get another half dozen workunits and let it crunch for a couple of days again.

Still we are doing very well at this project, given our small number of participants. Very good to see us up there and fighting! We probably can't win dedicated teams like boinc synergy, but we sure can put up a fight! :)

Lagu
12-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Hej

NeoGen and Vaughan! Come on let’s fight together in uFluid as that was we three guys as joined this project first. ;) You both have got back in the rank. :!:

vaughan
12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
I'd like to help but I have a few personal gauntlets underway:

1. Chaz has his farm crunching Seventeen or Bust again.

2. Bruce has his farm crunching DPAD / Muon1 again.

3. DMMc is keeping me honest in eOn still. One day 72CJ5 and AMDave will threaten in eOn too looking at current production rates.

4. I'd like to lift my ranks in several other BOINC projects such as Einstein where 59th is not good enough, LHC where Heitor is pushing me, PrimeGrid where NeoGen is lonely way out in front and so deserves waking up, Sztaki where there is too much gap between me and Empty_5oul.

5. In Non BOINC I want to improve in WCG where my old friend Kamaleigh (from Entropia Fight AIDS at Home) has broken into the team top 100 and yet I trail at 115th.

I had a nasty shock the other day when I noticed I lost a million DIMES points. Stats corrected over the next few days but it made me check that every PC possible was running this critter.

Aghh! . . . Need more computers. :roll:

ps. Congratulations on taking the yellow bar for 1st place in uFluids Lagu. :thumbleft:

NeoGen
12-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Hey, I'll crunch some for uFluids.
I'm tired of running Euler. I'm stuck with the same workunit for 4 days already and there's no way to tell when it'll finish. There's no problem in stopping it since it supports suspend and resume. So, I'll come over to uFluids again for a while :)

AMDave
12-10-2005, 04:42 AM
ps. Congratulations on taking the yellow bar for 1st place in uFluids Lagu. :thumbleft:
Major Kudos :!: Well done Lagu :D

Hey, vaughan
Yes eOn. He's back and his CPU's are angry at being kept away so long
Grrrrrrrr. :twisted: hehehe

Lagu
12-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Guys

Thank you but I´m not sure I ncan keep 1 rank. Another member can rapidly stomp me.

Lagu
12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Hello

I notised we have got down from 4 to 6th rank? Should we put more power to this procect?
I´m doing so well I can but the points increase slowly. I have many files as are pending.

Lagu
12-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Hej

I have now analysed all contributors in our team in uFluids. There are 4 who are active of 17 members. Me, NeoGen, AMD-USR_JL (1 AMD 64x2 Dual Core 4800+) and guatzacoalt (1 AMD 3500+) The 2 last is new to this project. Guatzacoalt had added a computer more (A MAC powerbook 5.9, OP Darwin) but this computer isn’t active. I don’t know why, if this computer is too weak for this job.

I wonder where all the other who join this project are? SETI.Germany has only 2.779.36 points to catch us and they are 34 members there. What is your option? Will we accept a 7th rank? I myself have fallen apart to 20th rank totally and it is difficult to hold that rank. I can see other get higher claimed points for same WU. I don’t know why it is so. Is this depending of which version of Boinc I have? I use not a optimised one.

I wish to thank our new members for their contribution :D

Let’s hear if one will add more power to this project.

vaughan
12-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I think it is that they used an optimised client.

Lagu I just sent in 2 work units. One took 17 hours and the other 12 hours 20 minutes. This is on an hyperthreaded P4 3.2GHz which is also running SOB.

BOINC sees the P4 as having 2 cpus so allows two work units to run.

The P4 shares 50% cpu on SOB and 25% each on the BOINC work units.

Do you know if there is any progress on either Checkpointing or Suspend/Resume work in uFluids?

NeoGen
12-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I've been wanting to split the cpu for simap and ufluids but this last PSP range I reserved a few days ago is putting up quite a fight. Not anytime soon I will reserve another combined range, or at least not such a long one!

Lagu
12-26-2005, 12:57 AM
I think it is that they used an optimised client.

Lagu I just sent in 2 work units. One took 17 hours and the other 12 hours 20 minutes. This is on an hyperthreaded P4 3.2GHz which is also running SOB.

BOINC sees the P4 as having 2 cpus so allows two work units to run.

The P4 shares 50% cpu on SOB and 25% each on the BOINC work units.

Do you know if there is any progress on either Checkpointing or Suspend/Resume work in uFluids?

Vaughan

I´m glad you have returned works. You have your computers hidden why I cant se if you is alive in this project.

Lagu
12-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Vaughan wrote:

Vaughan

Any progress has yet not change. As I read it should be implemented in January 2006.
I have not test it self because I was afraid the Wu should start from zero. I will let you all know when they have implement all we want.

vaughan
12-26-2005, 01:53 AM
... You have your computers hidden why I cant see if you is alive in this project.

Mwahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Lagu
12-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Vaughan

:D :D :D :D

Lagu

vaughan
12-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Dave taught me. ;)

Lagu
12-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Wake up!!!!!

Team AnandTech are puffing us in the neck :shock: They are 7th in rank end soon we will change rank if we not add more power in uFluid. We can be overtaken today or tomorrow. Where are you guys who joined uFluid but stopped running it or disappeared? We are only hand ful of members who is running uFluid but this is not enough.
Come and help us please. :D We must end year 2005 on a positive way. Think of our newsletter that will have a positive reading.

gamer007
12-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Unfortunately I know of one negative thing. :-( We lost 1st place in M-12. But lets not make anymore negative things and give this a boost.

Lagu
12-30-2005, 07:45 AM
Hej

In uFluid are we 12 members with together 27 computers joined but only one is active and who is this person: Yes me. Why add so many computers and not use these? One thing is clear: We will be stomped today and go from 6th to 7th rank. It is scandal! Newer can I be happy, only sad. Is the word “fail” unknown for all?
We can talk we will add a computer or help crunch but when it is seriously where are all at that time? I think everyone may stop a moment and think about the consequences. I will ask everyone: Will we be satisfied when we lose a rank? Yes, I know there are more important projects and we have too little power. uFluid is not as important as other projects?

I apologise for my words, but something is wrong when we from time to time fail. And I’m a spontaneous person who can express both joy and grief. I will always be glad when other is glad but it is not always so easy and smile every day.

It should be grateful if we together could pull yourselves together. I hope all will understand what I really mean so there not will be any misunderstood.

Thanks
Lagu :cry: :mad:

NeoGen
12-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Last night after seeing your post I had fired up Boinc with uFluids.

This morning I woke up to see the computer had rebooted and was idling... plus the ufluids workunit went back to 0% again.

Just my luck... :-(

Lagu
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
NeoGen

Thank you for your kindness. It is sad your computer should reboot and destroy for you.

My computer is very stable and have never rebooted for mouths. I have only rebooted when I update it through Windows Update manually.

NeoGen
12-30-2005, 07:44 PM
It was a power failure! :evil:
Several appliances in the house had the clocks reset.

Lagu
01-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Hej

Seti.Germany is on its way to stomp us in uFluid :shock:

Lagu

Lagu
01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Hej.

From uFluids forum:

Rays question: Can checkpoints be moved to the top of the list?

Robert Jennings reply: Checkpoints will be available (my guess) sometime January.

Lagu ;)

gamer007
01-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Great to hear Lagu. :) I've been waiting for checkpoints (along w/ the many other people).

BlackAdder
01-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Ive signed up tonight and got two wu's...will give it a try and see what happens :D

Lagu
01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Blackadder

Thank you for signing up. Be care to pause the WU because it begin from start again. If you need to stop the WU, wait to it have begin to crunch and then pause it. If you only have chrunch 1 minutes it is ideally for a restart. Don´t forgit to click on "No more job". Otherwise a new WU will be downloaded and chrunched.

Lagu :) ;)

Lagu
01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi all

First: We have going down to 10Th rank.

Second: Robert Mannings says: Compression is the next step, I just figure out check pointing first.

Lagu
01-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi

I wonder how important it is to hold uFluid in live? I´m mostly alone and we lost ranks nearly every 14 days i think. I read there are other projects as I can run.

vaughan
01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Robert Mannings says: Compression is the next step, I just figure out check pointing first.

I don't run it because of the lack of checkpointing but also I hate the fact that the percentage done / time remaining is not working correctly.