PDA

View Full Version : Signed Up

gamer007
11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm signed up. So far I'm trying to reduce CPU usage so I can BOINC as well w/o it using that much CPU.

I feel stupid, I registered, how do I join the team? The link on our team page on the main site doesn't work. :?

AMDave
11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
LOL. Don't feel stupid. That's my job.

You are right. The link is not working at the moment.
It seems that the "kick-ass.org" back-end to the stats is down at the moment.

Keep trying the link you found at extended intervals. It will come back up eventually. Note that any crunching you do now will not be carried over when you join the team. (more like UD-Grid as opposed to Dnet).

Good luck when it comes up. I joined the team and crunched. My name shows in the team members list but my results went nowhere...except into the void. When I look up my member entry I get "Could not find user with supplied ID!"

To run on Linux the client requires mono. That is not a major issue but you think it draws lots of CPU on Windows!!! Try it on Linux. You won't require a cosmetic eyebrow lift in your old age. :lol:

The bandwidth usage is such that many of us in Australia would hit our account limits REALLY fast. Our ISP account useage is generally measured by download (and often upload) volume. There are trasnmission limits applied and the account may be stepped back to less than a 36kbps modem and still some charge excess useage fees on top of that after the limit is reached.

The disappointment all round led me to not even bother asking alexc about it. It's going to take several generations of the client before it really becomes viable for the general Aussie DSL consumer. It is a shame. Grub was a bit of a hog too. But not this much.

NeoGen
11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
About the cpu usage there isn't much one can do as the end results have to be strongly compressed or else it would take hundreds of megabytes per workunit uploaded. But apart from when it's compressing, in windows the rest of the time it doesn't take almost no cpu.
About the bandwidth usage, Alex is promising a revolution in the next version. It seems his parser will strip out unneeded parts of the webpages (ads for example) making it smaller in the end so the uploads will be cut down a bit.
I know the big bandwidth hogging is on the downloads, but if we save some on the uploads we'll be able to spend some more on the downloads later. :) *

*That is at least for me. My ISP sets a limit of total bandwidth (uploads+downloads) So less uploads made means more downloads that I can make.

gamer007
11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
http://majestic12.kicks-ass.org is now working. But whenever I sign in, it wants to me to sign in again when I click each tab. :?

EDIT: Yay, I'm in. :)

Nflight
12-30-2005, 10:30 AM
We have a new member to our team, in fact we have two new members to our team effort. First is Peyoti and second is AMD-USR_JL both are off to flying starts to add some effort to our team.
Thank you both for joining. :)

NeoGen
12-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Welcome both to the Team! We need all the help we can! :)

mitro
12-31-2005, 01:33 PM
I thought I'd give it a shot as well. My connection can get a little dodgy at times, but it seems to work fairly well and the little time it takes to archive isn't enough to take too many cycles away from my BOINC projects. :D