PDA

View Full Version : 47th on Predictor!

NeoGen
11-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I know it's not the greatest of news that we got up one rank, but it has a special meaning this time. :)

We stomped our old friendly rivals, Team Ninja, on yet another project! :lol:

But let's not let our guards down. I see them trying to sneak up behind us on 17-or-Bust! The Ninjas are always very very sneaky. :P

mitro
11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Well I'm giving it literally all I got. :) Good thing I have one more dual core up my sleeve, err, on the way.

Nflight
12-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I just surpassed the 1,000 mark and still working on catching up to Mitro. But alas I put some effort into Simap as I see we are not doing enough work there and I hate being last, at anything. Maybe that is why I make a great competitior in this sport.

This is a sport isn't it? :?:

Team effort shows we are 41st with the continued support of all 62 active members, Thank You all ! ;)

Also this is a plea for anyone to help out, we have lost 7 team positions in Simap in the last 5 days! Ouch :cry:

NeoGen
12-24-2005, 11:24 PM
This is a sport isn't it? :?:

Indeed! And a very competitive one. :)
Competition is not only within our Team, but also against other teams as well.

Nflight
12-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Now that you have sucessfully encouraged me beyond the realm of just here, because I like this routine, Who are our Team Leaders? Or is it whom ever wishes to help get people onboard where we need help idea generators!

If it is whom ever wants to encourage the team members to support one project over the other, I will tell you we have two teams coming up behind us on our "6" that we have no way of defeating here in Predictor. They will over take us in about 4 days. But on the other side of being lower in the rankings there are some slow pokes we will overcome in the next couple weeks. But we just have to keep struggling to keep the members who can make a difference here and crunching numbers.

All for one and one for All! Oh wait that's the three musketeers or could it be the AMDusers new Team Motto? :)

vaughan
12-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Jeff and myself won't tell any team member what to run - you are free to choose whatever project you like.

It is up to each and every one of us to be an advocate for the project(s) we like. Take for example the post you just made nflight - you wrote that we have teams behind us that will overtake soon unless we switch boxen to Predictor. On the otherhand on present progress we will catch some teams ahead of us that have dropped their pace on Predictor.

Give us a challenge and most of the active forum participants will weighup the pros and cons and they might switch some GHz off of their pet project.

Personally, I'm in a nice gauntlet with my old mate Chaz in Seventeen or Bust. I still have some computers that cannot / will not behave on SOB so they are running other projects. These are the boxen that I could move to help you out. NeoGen, Ototero, 72CJ5 and myself are also trying our hand at a less well known Math project - Prime Sierpinski Sieving. AMDave has been running lots of RieselSieve recently so I'm not sure if he has any spare GHz to put on Predictor.

Crunch whatever you can - just keep crunching for AMD Users.

Bottom line is - too many projects, too few GHz :!:

Nflight
12-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the Retort there Vaughan, I am now well versed as to the feelings you expressed. I too have my pet projects and will muscle as much as I can with what systems I have and when my pocket of funds allows I will entertain more gighz to the cause!

Empty_5oul
12-25-2005, 05:17 PM
i am now allowing new work on predictor again. I wont help much but add a few hundred a day to our score :thumbleft:

Nflight
12-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Thank You Empty_5oul any little bit will help out more then nothing at all!

gamer007
12-25-2005, 06:42 PM
I'll help too after I'm done my Rosetta WUs. Been on Rosetta for the last 2 weeks non-stop doing practically "10-days" queue work. :lol:

vaughan
12-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Nflight, my reply may have sounded harsh but please don't take it that way.

I have put a couple of computers running BOINC with allow Predictor work active. Let's hope if we all add a little to the Predictor push we can catch the "slow pokes" sooner rather than later.

NeoGen
12-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Nflight,
Vaughan made a big speech to say a small thing. What he wanted to say was that Jeff (spjeff69) and himself are the Team leaders, but everyone is free to run what they want.
Everyone is free to try to drive the team into a rally at a given project, but you got to supply a good reason or else people won't follow you. So for you to get extra people to help at a project you got to be the project advocate and present strong arguments. (Or else they'll just keep on crunching on their own pet projects)
And lastly, vaughan and AMDave are up to their necks in challenges with other team members already, so those two may not have much to spare... but hey, we got hundreds of other members over here! Let's try to get them running what we need! :)
(Oh yea, and person-to-person challenges are plenty too around here. If you look at Vaughan, he's on top of our Team on several projects, and in many of them the second ranked member is closing in and pressing him to give his place up. That's one kind of personal challenge, having to defend your position :))

And lastly, as I have already written too much (going up fast on WhatPulse too :lol:) I'll leave you a link to an idea that I had some time ago but that didn't pick up much attention.
It was the help needed thread where people would post where our team needed help at and why, and I would copy-paste and keep all help requests on the first post. Check it out:
http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1757

Nflight
12-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Reasons I work so hard to provide the necessary computing power to succeed with the Project Predictor Scripps and the Simap Projects. Well for starters I live and know some of the wonderful people who are working diligently to surpass there environment expectations with achievements to better our world we live in. These people are of the utmost intelligence bound individuals you would ever want to know. They are thoughtful and helpful at every second of there existence, their searchers for the solution to cure the diseases that plaque all mankind. They can be found at this URL; http://www.hmc.psu.edu/college/ and also they are able to be found here amongst the R&D group! http://www.hmc.psu.edu/researchdevelopment/

Why do I push for these men and women? Well in my lifetime, I have had three very close friends who have lost there struggle for life with the crippling disease of Leukemia. My first loss was at a young age of only 11 but Beaver was his nickname and he would struggle to make the best of everyday. Then as I got older I befriended Eric who at the crisp age of 24 lost his life with Leukemia, he was a great hunter and since his death I have not hunted a living thing. About 6 years ago I was living away from here and befriended another man who just happened to look ill but he did not feel ill, with in a few months he was diagnosed as Type 2 Leukemia and with in 4 months he passed with out being able to find a bone marrow transplantable donation.

Now you see why I am very motivated to find a cure, and within the protein structure of the Blood Cells, lies the answer to the solution to overcome this killer of a disease. If you feel I am pushing to hard to garner support for this project, at least now you know why I am so motivated to do my part with my computing skills in full power all the time. The National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Health supports this project and I will give all I have to make everything possible to find a solution. The remarks about the two identities and there support is located at the bottom right of this web link: http://predictor.scripps.edu/

NeoGen Worte

Everyone is free to try to drive the team into a rally at a given project, but you got to supply a good reason or else people won't follow you.

NeoGen
12-26-2005, 12:43 AM
You are right Nflight, and your reasons are good and noble, but one thing is missing there so that you can bring people over to "the cause". You have to appeal to their competitive side, rather than reason. I guarantee you, it makes more effect. ;)
Challenge the people in the ranks above you. Let them know you're after their spot. Call out the Team to unite and give them an objective, like for example to reach rank X, or surpass team Y. I tell you, motivation through competition works wonders. :)

Nflight
12-26-2005, 01:19 AM
You have to appeal to their competitive side, rather than reason. I guarantee you, it makes more effect. ;)

So I need to make an effort to challenge those who wish to beat me and probably can. I am at the top speed of my systems, I really can't go any farther, unless I win the lottery I am stuck with these numbers I have been performing. I am still at the bottom of the the heap as per Simap, take a whack at me keep me there. Slowly but surely I will amass a portfolio of WU's and over time and money I will succeed. Why? Because I can. Signed Nflight the machine!

Who wants to put Nflight in the dungeon and keep him there, take a whack at me show me that your better then I am, put points between you and I and leave me in the dust. This is my Challenege! Are you worthy? :!:

mitro
12-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Whats important to note is that Predictor is one project where we are making good gains (in team rank) and will continue to do so. We're only 41st in total credits BUT 21st in RAC, so we're moving well and can only get better.

Steve Lux
03-10-2006, 02:13 AM
An update: We've improved two places, but are slowing down.

TC RAC
39 29 AMD Users 110 62 2,762 2,669 3,184 3,014 2,265 2,571 2,629 724,728 2,722

Also:

AMD Users will overtake: Days

DPRGI Team - Italy 0.8
Team Starfire 8.0
Overclockers Australia 32.2
Erster Kontakt 36.0
Overclockers.com 44.6
Boinc-IRC 56.9
Team Canada 96.2
Picard 160.9
Poland 163.7
InfoPC.pl 171.8

AMD Users will be overtaken by: Days

ARSTechnica Team Stir Fry 91.4
Meisterkuehler.de Team 102.5
Chicopee 327.8
Portugal@Home 546.5
Protein structural analysis room Japan 765.2
BOINC.SK 1,017.1

10 highest recent contributors from AMD Users' team (9 March 2006):

Rnk/Who/Rec Cred:
1 Mitro 781.2
2 James 346.18
3 Nflight 339.29
4 Reaper13 174.5
5 Dave Lewis 140.35
6 Steve Lux 112.99 (I've only got 25% set up for this project)
7 Dirk Broer 90.94
8 Keyur 80.56
9 AMD-USR JL 77.73
10 Anthony 67.31

So the team has moved from 41st to 39th and is still climbing since the previous post.

mitro
03-10-2006, 03:25 AM
I've always said we can make good gains in Predictor. Unfortunately, I'm shifting some resources away from Predictor to work on another project, so we REALLY need some people to pick this project up. There's no real reason we shouldn't be in the top 20. :)

Beerknurd
03-10-2006, 03:37 AM
I just threw all my power on Predictor. All 8.9 GHz of it... It's not much, but it's all I got...

mitro
03-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Well thats more than I've had on it! 9GHz is nothing to sneeze at... nice going! :D

Beerknurd
03-10-2006, 05:56 AM
I hate Boinc normally.... But we will see how this goes. My tasks are taking about an hour to complete. So that is about 4 WU's per hour. Average credit is about 10 points so that's about 960 per day. Give of take a hundred or 2 depending on the granted credit.

So hopefully that will help our efforts a little.

Strongbow
03-10-2006, 06:16 AM
I've just thrown a processor at it as well!

Nflight
03-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Since we are all helping each other with efforts to get the most out of our machines, I was wondering if Beerknurd and Blackheath have optimized there machines for maximum output; Or are you running no mods on the original Boinc Client.

If you want the best output possible and the most amount of Work Units per hour then I suggest speaking up and myself and Mitro can help in getting you faster and more powerful quickly.

Just speaking that I hate being all alone up here at the Top.

On Predictor my 3500 Machine is ranked #52 out of over 110,000 hosts. According to BoincStats.com.

Strongbow
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I've just got the standard BOINC 5.2.13 with no mods! ...help!

Lagu
03-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi

Beerknurd has an Intel P4 dual core. I don´t think he have overclocked it but I´m not sure.

Lagu :)

Beerknurd
03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Yep i'm using 5.2.13. I'll take some hints.... Predictor credits take forever to post.... I have alot of pending credits....

NeoGen
03-11-2006, 12:34 AM
To start, you guys should read this FAQ I created sometime ago :)
http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2129

Beerknurd
03-11-2006, 01:13 AM
so where do I get this so called "optomized cllient?"

vaughan
03-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Try Crunch3r's (http://www.guntec.de/Crunch3r/)

drezha
03-11-2006, 10:04 AM
The Truxcroft one was quite nice. I think he updated it since I last used it and no my preferences where mostly wrong I think so I went back to Crunch3r's. :)

Nflight
03-11-2006, 11:53 AM
What are my methods to make it go so fast?

Take the time to analyze your system, how it works every bit crunched, watch the process and notice that the more processes that you have installed on your system the more times the kernel has to do hand shakes that the kernel realizes the process is ready to go at a notice. This handshake happens sometimes every tenth of a second, and it is only a hand shake of sorts but it is still time that could be forwarded to the BOINC Client to which I have installed on my system. Optimized with Crunchr's3.

NOw to get that reduction in handshakes you decrease the applicable programs you have running in the background. Withdraw adobe, quicktime, real player, firefox, Shockwave, Flash, etc. Your getting the idea by now it is the introduced programs or processes that you have installed after the initial installation of the OS. Everytime you introduce one new program 3 OS sub programs must be intialized to handle the new directoret. Your not going to see the change right away, this of course takes time, but then this time is precious when it comes down to getting the most for your money.

So in order to get the most out of you system you need to take the time out and if your running windows look in Task Manager. Notice the Processes tab click on it and tell me how many you are running. If you have over 41 you have more then I do on my SIMAP machine or 4200 Dual Core.

My 3500 or Predictor machine runs about 61 processes but this is also my work machine, too compensate I have installed the fast Memory of DDR400 2 GIG, plus (2) SATA drives at 15,000 rpm. I clean the machine religiously of dust on the heat sinks to keep the temps in a low stressed enviroment. I defrag once a week. I ask myself to better my machine all the time. If you find the ways to improve on my designs and efforts please reply with good or better news that I have not already known before.

What this all boils down to is your turning your regular computer into a server, having it run one program only, optimizing the capability for maximum output. Although my funds are limited at this time the best OS that I have found is the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition. I will let you look at a link to prove my point.
http://predictor.scripps.edu/top_hosts.php
mDHurst is running his machines with Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition. I have checked with Profs at my school I just attended and they confirm that there is a way to make the OS run like a server. I want everyone to experience the extasy of being so close to the top AMD users will rule the DC Universe.

drezha
03-11-2006, 01:27 PM
:shock:

Sound a bit obssesed there but yeah.
TBH honest, my 3500+ is never gonna have little amount of services, it's my main rig. Games, music, DVD's, Internet, email etc....everything gets run on it.

It might help perhaps if items weren't in the registry? Might help you in your quest to run as fast as possible. I run portable programs as my main programs because it allows me to back up all my settings etc just like I would with my documents. :D

Try browsing here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/

All designed to not depend on other items being on the PC so you can close quicktime, Java etc and still happily run everything (less service's) Because they dont write to registry, I guess it might help speed up crunching. Beside's there's some good little apps there ;)

Beerknurd
03-13-2006, 05:26 AM
As of today we are in 38th place!!!

We have gained 9 spots since the 1st post in November... If we keep up the current pace we can definately gain some more!!!!!

Steve Lux
03-14-2006, 03:39 AM
I've bumped Predictor up to 50% of my capacity. Might increase it further, we'll see.