PDA

View Full Version : windows update

Empty_5oul
12-01-2005, 05:25 PM
I am having problems getting windows update to work.

I want to get the latest updates and the yellow shield exclamation mark thing keeps appearing saying update. However when i do it downloads but then fails, the updates are office 2003 service pack 2 and a few security ones.

I did it online at their site so i could see the error message but the help has been no good. The closest i have come was making sure OBD (i think) was NOT set to never turn on in services but it was on manual which it should be.

I am stuck for ideas and fed up with it telling me to update my system every 5 minutes.Im running XP Pro.

NeoGen
12-01-2005, 06:30 PM
You can download the Office 2003 SP2 full file at microsoft and install it yourself there. I always do that with service packs. Plus I keep the installation file here for later times that I need, like if I format my computer I don't have to download it again.

Nflight
12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Many options so little time. There is the best way which is mentioned in the 70-272 Book provided by Microsoft that shows the best to download and install all Office suite updates is to start the process from one of the office suites but not the one your downloading for. (Microsofts idea of confusion no doubt) Click on Help in Microsoft Word and slide down to Check for updates, this is the recommended way to look for download and install new updates for the XP Professional series.

If you need more help check out this link which has more then enough options in resolving frustrating issues like you talking about!

http://www.kellys-korner.com/

The best area in this web site is the Registry editor help, where if all else fails there is someone out there with a lot of knowledge to share with your frustration. Check also here for details:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_reg_edits.htm

Empty_5oul
12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
thanks guys.

i merged the solutions and it worked :). I clicked update within word and it loaded a new page so i downloaded it.
On install it failed but gave me a new error message!!!! i followed this and then after a bit of searching found my OSE.EXE file must be corrupt.
Dont know what did it but rather than have it .exe it was .fff - i assume a virus.
i renamed it to exe but it was really corrupt so didnt work. I borrowed this file from another machine on the network and it updated fine.
This also solved all the other updates that were failing - outlook spam filter, office security and a few other microsoft things.

thanks agian :D