PDA

View Full Version : our goose is cooked

ahab3333
12-09-2005, 08:41 PM
we are going to lose 1st place unless someone has a ton of bandwith and a few computers that they were hiding because free DC is leaps and bounds past what anyone else can do.

we still need everyones help to keep the second spot because we are still battling xgrub.

its sad that we are losing our only number 1. :cry:

Jeff
12-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Cmon guys, this is an easy project to run. I've ran it less than 4 hours and I am in 2nd place for the day for the team. I only have cable internet.

Come on, let's show em what we can do.

NeoGen
12-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm on it at nights (when the bandwidth is free for me)
You better watch your bandwidth usage and limits there jeff, this little program is quite a hog. :P

gamer007
12-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm running it when I'm can.

Jeff
12-11-2005, 12:08 AM
I don't think I have a bandwidth limit. Does charter??

ahab3333
12-11-2005, 03:14 PM
most cable and dsl do not have limits.
if you do have a limit you should know because your price is determined my the the limit you set just like cell phones.

NeoGen
12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I know I have a limit, and it's a small one. :-( 13Gbytes/month. But between 03:00 am and 08:00 am whatever I download/upload doesn't count, it's free time for everyone.
That's the time I have MJ-12 programmed for. :)

And each 100Mb of bandwidth spent beyond those 13Gbytes costs me about 1,5 Euros I think.

rrcrain
12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
THe hard cold fact is that Free DC is out doing us in excess of 3 to 1 on the Majestic 12 project and we are barely out doing the X Grubbers. majestic 12 blue screened one of my machines overnioght, cause unknown but the latest version appears to have solved the problem. It's running beside SOB on both machines and has had no apparent impact on the SOB performance.

Oddly, this morning, ZOnealarm had trapped Majstic 12 trying to act as a serve on the AMD 64 machine with XP last night. Why I didn't get a similar trap on the Windows 2000 server is beyond me.

In any event, I've given both clients access to 90% of the bandwidth when I'm not using the machines.

AMDave
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
wow
I think anih just piped in some optic fibre today by the look of that stat!

rrcrain, spjeff69 and cicide are ploughing a road and making good company with EvilDragon.

And I see DMMc has slipped into the crowd for a better look.
Good to see ya bloke. :thumbup:

rrcrain
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Take a look at my uptime today and be amazed. Then imagine what my numbers will be like with a full 24 hour day of running.

NeoGen
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Free-DC might be out doing us by 3 to 1 like rrcrain said, but we ain't letting go of our spot that easy! If they really want it they'll have to bleed for it! :twisted:

Keep pushing what you can gang! :D

Majestic-12
12-13-2005, 01:29 AM
It warms my heart to see such an ethusiasm guys, but don't kill yourself over it - crawl only as much as you can, every little hepls and its the cause that matters rather than single individual performance - some people just have ridiculous amounts of resources, don't allow this to upset you or anything :)

rrcrain
12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I am having a serious issue with the client on both of my machines. On eht AMD 64 running XP. it is causing a BSOD and an automatic reboot. On the 2000 server, it's even goofier. It appears the client started broadcasting rather than sending addressed packets flooding my router (switch actually) in the process.

carlos
12-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Majestic-12,

I have an Antivirus called NOD32 and it blocked one of the url's, saying it had a virus!!!! Do you want to comment?
Another question is how to join a team? I can't login using this page:

http://majestic12.kicks-ass.org/login.jhh

Regards,

Carlos

NeoGen
12-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Norton Internet Security also raises several alarms sometimes when Majestic-12 is working on certain sites. I'm very convinced that Norton really blocks MJ12 from connecting to those sites, even tough I gave MJ12 full permission, thus probably contributing to the timed out stats.
I think there is no danger involved in MJ12 going through those sites, as the html code is scanned through like if it was a text file, no scripts are executed or anything, and it doesn't leave traces on the hard drive after packing in the bucket and returning.

And I tried the login site and it worked for me. I think I also had problems with it in the beggining, but don't remember how I solved it. I think my problem was with norton, I had to shut down the firewall to be able to access that site.

Evil-Dragon
12-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Let me explain about how MJ12 deals with any malicious code, in case you are worried.

Sometimes viruses are embedded in web pages or in plain text. Because the viruses are read in plain text through MJ12 it will raise alarms with virus detectors because it will match signatures patterns.

Let me reassure you though, MJ12 NEVER executes any code... javascript, viruses, spyware, malware, etc... it saves all to plain text or discards it with Conan in place nowadays anyway.

There is nothing to worry about.

carlos
12-13-2005, 04:04 PM
NeoGen,

The machine is at university behind a powerfull firewall. I can't login even turning off the Win XP firewall.

Evil-Dragon,

I'm not worried. Thanks.

Now I need to know if it is possible to manually join a team. Can the Majestic 12 administrator do that for me?

Carlos

rrcrain
12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Virus scan today revealed that the Majestic 12 client had become infected with the VBS.soraci.B virus.

This is the first virus to get onto my machine in over 2 years.

NeoGen
12-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I made a quick search on that virus, found this:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=43004

Since it only affects HTML files it must be one of those virus that can come embedded with the html pages that MJ12 crawls, but we know that no code is executed, so it can't harm you.
And you get rid of it as soon as you upload the barrel back to HQ. Or even earlier maybe, as the content analyzing process should strip out the useful text from all the rest of the garbage and HTML that compose the page.

Majestic-12
12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Here is relevant FAQ entry: My anti-virus detected a virus in crawled data! (http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685)

In a nutshell its possible that some webpages contain virus - some anti-viruses intercept those while they are crawled and say there is a virus - indeed there is but since its NEVER executed in any way _ANYWHERE_ - neither on your computer nor on my servers during indexing, there is no threat whatsoever.

The real issue with those virus alarms is that some anti-viruses choose to delete whole barrel with other pages - luckily this seems to happen so rarely that in a grand scheme of things its not very significant.

Now talking about BSOD that running node gives you - this is highly likely that something is wrong hardware wise on your PC - node can stress computer resources (especially when archiving) and if you have faulty hardware then it won't like it.

carlos: if you can't login please post in our forums in Bugs - I am currently tracking few similar issues and more voices only help assign higher priority.

carlos
12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
carlos: if you can't login please post in our forums in Bugs - I am currently tracking few similar issues and more voices only help assign higher priority.

I coudn't login using FireFox. I tried with IE and it worked. Thanks.

Carlos

Majestic-12
12-13-2005, 10:45 PM
I coudn't login using FireFox. I tried with IE and it worked. Thanks.

What was the error in Firefox? Its possible you may have just provided wrong password?

rrcrain
12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Here's the rest of the story.

It was imbedded in the Majestic 12 client and as soon as it was discovered, removed and the client repaired, the BSOD issue dissapeared. It may not get executed, but it was not being cleared with the barrel and it was interfering with the client operation in the form of causing a BSOD on the machine.

Anonymous
12-14-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm running MJ12 as long each day as I can thru my cable modem, I think we can outrun X grubbers if we keep up our present pace, it doesn't look like they are on us that badly to me.Correct me if I'm wrong.

BlackAdder
12-14-2005, 01:29 AM
I've pumped out 120 buckets in the last week or so, I hope we can maintain our #1 status!!! Anyone else in our team with a cable modem willing to help???

NeoGen
12-14-2005, 03:45 AM
I got cable connection too, but only at 512/128 and with short bandwidth limits.
But I'm giving my small contribution to the cause too when I can. :)

BlackAdder
12-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I was directing that last post towards anyone else on the team that is not already running MJ12...come on guys...help us out.

carlos
12-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Free-DC is going to:

http://free-dc.org/forum/images/smilies/train.gif

Next project will be MoneyBee.

Carlos

Anonymous
12-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Fancy coming here to taunt us with someone else's output.

[taunt on :director: ]

Goodness carlos !
140,000 in MJ12.
I am bluntly astounded.
Got any more ?

BTW...
Mind your 6 in Reisel.
Comin through.

Will you be participating in MoneyBee?

:violent3:

[end taunt]

hee hee
you give...you get :twisted:

AMDave
12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
btw that was me not logged in.
but I would like to ensure that we are clear that it was me. :twisted:

carlos
12-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Fancy coming here to taunt us with someone else's output.

[taunt on :director: ]

Goodness carlos !
140,000 in MJ12.
I am bluntly astounded.
Got any more ?

BTW...
Mind your 6 in Reisel.
Comin through.

Will you be participating in MoneyBee?

:violent3:

[end taunt]

hee hee
you give...you get :twisted:

140,000 in two hours but I think my partner just turned off Majestic. I don't know. Probably to much Antivirus warnings.

6th in Riesel? Where?

I tested MoneyBee but in the other day the client stopped for two hours. I had luck because I was awake! If Free-DC decides to crunch for MoneyBee I will help them, if not I will continue to help Luigi in Operation Billion Digits Project (http://www.moregimps.it/billion/users_p.php?id=stats%20DESC). I have here a test that will take me more than 10 days to complete.

Carlos

AMDave
12-14-2005, 11:05 AM
aha. Made you answer :P

"mind your 6" - as in 6-o'clock by the clock face, which would be behind you.

OBD project. Interesting.
Not heard of it yet myself.
You still have the Math-bug though eh?

good on you. Thx for dropping by and posting. :D

I'll try and make sure I'm actually logged in next time :roll:

Nflight
12-14-2005, 11:38 AM
You know I am knew to this great sport of DC-ing, but where there is a will there is a way! NOw that I have downloaded and installed Majestic 12, just where do I sign up for the team effort? :?

NeoGen
12-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Nflight, go here to set up your account and choose a team.

http://majestic12.kicks-ass.org/login.jhh

Nflight
12-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh those wonderful stats ever rising!
Listen folks I know most of you are on a limited budget so this will only piss you off, but the best way to optimize your connection to the net is to put in two Net Cards, or 3 or 4. Per system. I use two net cards and assign each a different item of usage. I have most of my web surfing researching on one Net card while my other is used DCing and other stuff. You can do the same with two wireless cards, there is no reason to suspect your going to slow down something that is connected to you router at 54Mbs. You won't notice the lag I promise, and neither will your computer, in fact it will speed things up just a bit to allow clear surfing and downloading the files for Majestic12.

Oh yea thanks for the link to the team effort. Although team stats are not updated immediately afte I update my info like Whatpulse.org.

Our Team effort as I have found this link helpful!
http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/teaminfo.php?id=2

NeoGen
12-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I have my cable modem connected directly to my PC by USB.
Heard people say that it should be connected to a net card in the PC, as the net card would take care of the communications overhead and release the cpu of that work... is that true?

rrcrain
12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
An accurate answer is "it depends".

It depends on who makes the NIC and the quality of the card. The better cards have more logic built into them and depend less on the processor than the cheap cards for the most part. Generaly speaking though, a dedicated NIC should perform better than using the USB port.

Nflight
12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes having your USB operate as your I/O port is actually more hops in your internal operating system to achieve the same effect as your NIC card. You will do better connecting through the NIC card.

"rrcrain" you are right on this one! Nice job

:)

Nflight
12-14-2005, 05:01 PM
How to waste time in DCing !
1) First download and install .NET platform 1.1 for the 4200+ Machine, install it ( where it should be installed no less) and find out the Majestic12 program can't see it. ,NET passport can't seem to find it either, hmmm
2) Fish around the technet support area till I find answer to these frustrating solutions I seek. Ha seems more people running dual core AMD's are having similar problems, maybe I will try the good folks at AMD Users with how the frick do you get the Dual Cores to work the .NET v 1.1?
I spent the last maybe 2 hours working on this including sending out a resume for a potential job offer!
NOw I want this to work or maybe I can just get something else to put in its place, ? ? ?

Majestic-12
12-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I would be interested to know about issues specific to AMD dual cores and how it was resolved - I am actually getting dual core box in a couple of days myself, so hopefully will be able to replicate any issues.

Nflight
12-14-2005, 07:18 PM
It isn't resolved yet and even my single 64 bit 3500+ will not conitune to run the application. I am getting a NON-Responding action every 90 seconds, that is all it will run till it seizes.
Majestic 12 - If you have resolved these issues already please advise! :-(

NeoGen
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I never heard of problems with dual cores and the .net platform... are you running 64 bit windows?

Majestic-12
12-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Nflight: I have never heard of such issues. Do you run Windows XP 64-bit or is it normal 32-bit version?

Also, have you installed .NET 1.1 Service Pack 1 from here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en

Don't assume you have got it - download it and try to install, if its installed then it will refuse to continue, its a critical service pack that is totally necessary for node's operations as it fixes memory leaks.

Do you have any other computer to try node on? I just want to locate source of issues - whether its PC/OS or network.

Nflight
12-14-2005, 09:04 PM
My 3500+ is running the 32 bit version of windows.
My 4200+ is running the 64 bit version of windows.

Oh and by the way I uninstalled the version on the 3500+ because it was locking up after just 84 seconds. NO clue why all this happens and everyone can run the blasted things?
I am still in there and willing to work it out if I can but I can't fiddle a whole day on the program away Like I did today! :cry:

I have found that I can get the program to work on my 3500+ system in the text mode only, if this helps! The GUI does not like when the screensaver is initialized ( I run a blank screen in 60 seconds from inactivity) and this was just blowing the program up, it could never recover! I am now on this list, but this is for about 2 hours in a day of struggling, not a full 24 hours of work!

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/teaminfo.php?id=2

Majestic-12
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
It sounds like problem with video drivers - what video card have you got and are you running official WCQL (I think that's how they called) drivers?

Nflight
12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Majestic -12 (alex if thats you) I have overcome my errors with the help of Evil Dragon and my own stepping back and looking at the whole picture and writing down my mistakes and errors.
After reveiwing what I did and what I initially should be expecting, I discovered I made some dumb alterations. I reveiwed the screenshots on the Majestic Forum and altered mine to mimick those screenshots and found the system works best now after all errors were corrected.

Under Computer Management - Device Manager I am running two NVidia Ge Force 6600 GT's ( 2 video outputs per card for an effective 4 display capability, great tools ) Everything is up to date on the drivers.

Dumb errors by yours truly, I jumped before I looked over what I was jumping !

Thank you for the concern and also for the quick response.
:)

Majestic-12
12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Good to hear its solved - thanks to Evil Dragon for this!

But what did you change to make it work?

Nflight
12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
What did I change to make it work. . . .
Well I had to revert back to Microsoft thinking that everything in action is reverse in thinking, if you are a MCP you understand that jibberish.

More is not always better and opening the valves full bore is not always a good idea, also since I had no idea how this particluar crunching data operation works I figureed since my system can handle the excessive work load I would throw everything I could at it and wait to see what happens.

BAD idea, re-regulating the upstream and downstream to be 100% is not always a good thing due to the hungry bandwidth this project is. I have read over the forums between you (alexc and Evil Dragon) about the Newbie User settings and also the Geek Settings enhancement edition to be finished soon I hope. This would be a lot better if us crazed DC-er's had an idea of what this project needs then to fiddle so much and make the headaches roar with downtime. I made the mistake of seeing the chance to move everything to above nomall settings and run the operation at full speed I thought would be better.

Better explanation is needed to help make this project run more efficient. Better accessibility to the Screen Shots like a link on the main page (SCREENSHOT) with a "start here" flashing beside it. Have newbie settings and Geek settings.

PCZ
01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Nflight

I guess you moved the priorites to above normal, bad mistake.

But those settings should not be be there, a DC project should run on low.
If it is a bursty type like CB for example, then below normal is acceptable.

If you have another DC project running you might want to set MJ12 to below normal but be aware that if you only have one CPU this can slow your PC to a crawl.

Nflight
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice there PCZ, I actually have two machines one 3500+ and another 4200+. What I can't quite figure out is that the 3500 machine runs at twice the speed of the 4200. Go figure and the settings are the same on each.

Yes I found out that lower is better even with the uploading of the data barrel the smaller the units the faster the upload.
As for slowing my machines down to a crawl, I prey they produce a program that can do that, at the moment I have only seen the BSOD once on the 4200, and once on the 3500 as well.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated there PCZ! :)

mitro
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
M-12 frustrates me as the only way I could improve my scores is to get a T3. I miss my old Comcast cable (8Mbps, not available where I am now).

mitro
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Nflight,

A couple things... first off the obvious... you only need it on one PC in a location. Assuming that it may depend on the OS since XP likes to limit the number of connections a computer can make. You may have seen this on the Mj-12 site.

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576

PCZ
01-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Tip No 1
Get a bigger internet pipe.

Tip No 2
See Tip No 1

Multiple clients sharing a Fat pipe is acceptable / desireable.
Infact it is impossible to coax much more than 2 million URL's a day out of the client regardless of the bandwidth available

So the only way to up production is to increase the number of clients.

I have found that 1 client with 200 crawlers will keep an 8Mb ADSL
connection pretty much maxed out and 2 clients will make an ADSL 2
connection beg for mercy.

Nflight
01-06-2006, 02:05 AM
The Big Pipe is a great idea, but! Since the installation of the copper wired telephony equipment in the mid 1950's is limiting my access there just isn't much I can do, at this time.

Verizon C.O. is just 3600 feet away, and this clearly is within the 12,000 foot limit of ADSL. Now something new is on the horizon, FIOS. Light fiber access to homes in my area is supposed to be here by mid March of 2006. I am still emailing the local C.O. rep and asking where are the trucks? Why don't I see any trucks installing this fiber cable ?(do they only work at night while I am asleep?).

Patience is only as time will permit me to say when it gets here the 30mbs download will vault me over the skimpy numbers I currently have!

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

Tip # 3, I seem to have missed that tip, could you make me laugh some more? I enjoy your unique wit my friend, I love Tip #1 & 2.

PCZ
01-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Nflight

I hope they get the service up and running for you soon.
High Speed Internet Access in the Home is a real Joy.

Nflight
01-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Mike Yes since the bandwidth is a factor and having two machines running would defeat the purpose, only one runs the program at a time.

Thanks for the help!