PDA

View Full Version : New clients are out

Bionic_Redneck
12-29-2003, 03:11 AM
All clients are version 4.0

Folding@home Version 4.00
Usage: FAH4Console.exe [-option1] [-option2] ...

Options:
-config Configure user information
-configonly Configure user information, then exit
-queueinfo Get information on queued work units
-delete x Delete item #x from work queue
-send x Send result #x to server. Use x=all to send all results
-verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
-pause Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
-oneunit Exit after completing one unit
-forceasm Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
-forceSSE Force SSE use (on every unit regardless of success) if available
-advmethods Use new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available
-service Run in service mode (for programs such as firedaemon)
-local Use configuration files from local directory

Haven't tried the linux client as of yet but have the windows console running with wine and Gentoo linux

bwhite
03-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I have been mostly the only one running FAH which is puzzling because the client is one of the better ones out if not the best plus it's one of the few with promising result and one of the few non profit projects. Maybe it's because it takes all day to do one work unit?

I'm going to start putting some time into this project again if it does well with ChessBrain. Have them both running on 1 comp now to see what happens.

jlangner
03-04-2004, 12:25 AM
I put two on here as well.

Bionic_Redneck
03-04-2004, 12:43 AM
that good that we are getting some people to run it again from my experience fah is very nice to your system and runs at idle or nice 19 so if you run along side another project typically the other client hogs all of the cpu which would mean it should be perfect for chestbrain. I pulled off of fah for a few hours to run 17 or bust for a few hours to what kind of rate the diskless node can achieve with the new linux client but will be back around midnight

numibesi
03-04-2004, 11:30 AM
i also have mine on here i take 6m and 20s to do one frame :mad: , is that verrrrrry slow right?!?

jlangner
03-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Yep, my first time to run as well and it is slow for me as well, but not as slow as MRK - 48 hours on 1 so far. lol. I don't think I'll do anymore of that one once this finished. I like to see results!

Bionic_Redneck
03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
no those times are good it all depend on the wu you are folding . I have been getting anywhere from 4min to 15min. I can tell you the best flags to use are -advmethods -forceasm and if it a XP also -forcesse

Also remember eack kind of wu has it own point value

em99010pepe
03-06-2004, 06:59 PM
How can I cache some work units?

Bionic_Redneck
03-07-2004, 06:21 AM
that part is only for gah but another option would be to use the text client and install the clients in seperate folders and run the client with -local I think the limit is 4 clients and you can copy the cores from one folder to another but don't try that with the machine ids or you will end up getting same wu.

numibesi
03-07-2004, 10:38 PM
For me the -forceasm -forcesse commands do not provo. any change at all, in fact the current WU frame time is about 5.30s and with the command active the avg goes to almost 6m dont know why dough. :shock:

Bionic_Redneck
03-08-2004, 12:23 AM
SSE and 3dnow instruction only work on the gromac core(core78). -forceasm is for forcing 3dnow or sse on reason this came about is after a bad shutdown client is suppose to disable asm thinking machine isn't stable but occationally it was getting disable if client was stopped normally. -advmethods is used to get gromacs wu's and -forcesse is to enable sse.

so if you have a cpu that is sse enable the best combination is -forceasm -forcesse -advmethods. Note that with duron and tbirds you don't want to use -forcesse

if you would log increased output use -verbosity 9

numibesi
03-08-2004, 08:10 AM
I have a Athlon XP1900+ and i'm using the consule, my core is FAH65. But on my girlfriend pc P4 2Ghz i'm running the Screensaver version that uses the 78 core it auto/ uses the sse instruction after starting the client witout the need to add that alias command. :?: