PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview Help

Jeff
01-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Hey guys,

I have a wonderful opportunity on Jan. 4th, a job interview with the United States Postal Service. The job that I am seeking would almost triple my salary right now.

My problem is that I am only 19 years old. I do not have much interview experience. I want to do the best that I can, and I was just wondering if any of you have any advice? I know that a lot of you have great careers already, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

NeoGen
01-03-2006, 03:44 AM
My father worked for the human resources department of the bank he's working on. He said that sometimes in the interviews they would make games with the job seekers.
One funny that I remember him telling was the group roleplaying.
Suppose that on a plane there's the pope, the president of the USA, the president of NATO, and other famous figures like those. Each of the interviewed people would take on the role of one of those famous people.
Then there would be a notice that the plane had an engine problem and that one of the passengers had to be thrown overboard (with no parachute :lol:)
The object of the game was for the people to defend themselves the best they could by justifying why they should not be thrown overboard, and even to point out someone else to be thrown if they had an argument for it.
The person who had less arguments to show on the game (especially defensive) would be "thrown out of the plane" :lol:

Games like these often help the interviewers to profile the candidates, spot their weaknesses, and even assess their performance under stressful situations.

So Jeff, be prepared for anything! ;)

Ototero
01-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Go and buy a quick guide to body language. If you can present the interviewer with subtle signals, it helps.

vaughan
01-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Do some research about the job, who you report to, what is expected, if there is a job package read it and think of some questions. A common interview question is to ask you, the candidate, "Do you have any questions?" Usually you want to know what the pay and conditions are. The job package should answer those queries. If it doesn't - ask at the interview.

Dress cleanly and smartly but appropriately for the job. Don't stink - the latest after-shave might impress your wife but some people cannot stand too much. Look the interviewer in the eye and answer clearly; don't mumble and look at your shoes. If you don't know and answer don't bull$hit - say you don't know. If you cannot remember due to being nervous say you cannot recall but it might come back later so can we move onto another question.

Good luck.

AMDave
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
prepare to be tested...
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html
I like the summary...
the USPS staff appear to be well humoured.
That bodes well.

Google it.
Get familiar.

Amongst my searches I found lots of information, including some of their exams, job definitions and background.

Have a look at some of the competitors.
What does USPS do that is different or better? (focus on the positive)

Understand what the sales channels are (shops, counters, websites, tele-sales etc.) as well as what the product lines are (stamps, mail service, package delivery, freight, logistics etc.)

What's happening with the USPS in the news (again focus on the positive)

What other businesses does the USPS work with / contract to ?

If you are looking at a localised branch office/depot - takje a guess at who some of their major contracts would be with (or COULD be with :D ).

If you walk into a room of more than two people for the interview, maintain eye contact with the person who is talking and asking the questions. If they pull the trick of asking multiple questions at once, pull THEM up and tell them that you will try to answer one at a time as best you can (that's a dirty trick when they do that - to see if you have brass to prioritise and create order or crumble)

That'll keep you busy until well after they employ you ;)

Good luck. Ha. Like you need it :D

Don't forget the hard yards.
You deserve this. Be confident.

Lagu
01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Hej Spjeff69

One question you can get is: Why will you have this job? The ansver you can use is this: I´ve heard so mych positive about this company.

Lagu ;)

Lagu
01-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Spjeff69

You may be natural and not play another person who you not are.

Lagu :)

Lagu
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Hej

Try this page: http://www.vault.com/survey/employee/IDG_Direct2_32690.html

Lagu :D