PDA

View Full Version : CPU temperatures

Ototero
01-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I have an AMD 64 3000+ and on full load the temperature is betwwen 57C and 59C.

There are 2 harddisks, 1 with a HD cooler. 52X CDRW, 2X DVDRW.

I replaced the 52X with 16X DVDRW Dual layer. While I was in the box, I removed the cpu fan (not the cooling fins), vaccumed the insides and replaced everything.

When the machine rebooted, under full load, the temp doesn't get above 33C.

I know that's a good result, but 24C cooler :shock:

NeoGen
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Did your fan had that much dust on it that it didn't even spin? :lol:

Anyways, that much of a temperature drop might also mean you accidentally done something to the sensor?
I've seen a board that had this temperature sensor that was a very thin wire that you had to place right underneath the cpu before settling it down.

Lagu
01-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi

My AMD64 3200+ are running 3 different project at the some time.

Temp:
Cpu: 57 C
Sys: 41 C
PWM 45 C

What PWM stands for is unknown for me. There is a lot of abbrevations in English. It is difficult to understand. The info abowe is from ABIT Uguru.

Lagu :)

Keith75
01-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Could be a glitch with the sensor. Asus had problems with some of their n-Force3 boards giving crazy readings. You would reboot and sometimes it would be accurate and other times it would be way high or low.

Keith

vaughan
01-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I installed a Zalman 7000B Cu HSF on one of my XP2800+'s yesterday. This machine kept shutting itself down when it got too hot. The temperature is now 3C cooler under load compared to when it was using a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF. It is stable after 24 hours at 42C

AMDave
01-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Hej Lagu.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation
{trans. - Puls Bredd Modulationen}

You are blessed with a monitor which checks the running temperature of the metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) cluster close to the CPU, which regulates the rate of voltage delivered to the CPU and other items on the motherboard.

If you Overclock the CPU this would be a very important feature of the motherboard because the MOSFET cluster could run hot during heavy CPU activity.

If the MOSFET cluster gets too hot, the barrier between the MOSFET gate and the power channel would break down, then the motherboard and the CPU would get ZAPPED :shock:

All recent motherboards have this risk, but most don't have a PWM temperature monitor like you have.

Hope that helps.

Ototero
01-19-2006, 02:45 PM
:cry: Temp down to 28C

Does anyone know of any software that reports temps. I could go to the bios, but then I'd be idling.

NeoGen
01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
If the problem is the sensor, there's no software that repairs it. :-(

But I bet there might be some kind of "third party" temp sensors that you can install on the machine and get a double check on that temp value...

Empty_5oul
01-19-2006, 04:08 PM
i used MBM 5. motherboad monitor 5.
i think that did temps and voltages etc - i used it for checking my fans.

Ototero
01-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Update.

The machine was running for 36 hours showing silly low temperatures. It re-booted itself.

I stopped the re-boot at the bios and looked at temps there. Normal +40C with no load.

The boot continued until everything was running normally.

TKC, BeWes, WP, Dimes, D2OL, PSP PRP and Dnet.

The temp showed a more normal 51C :D

Let someone try to explain that. At least it got my KB counters going up :lol:

Lagu
01-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Hej Lagu.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation
{trans. - Puls Bredd Modulationen}

You are blessed with a monitor which checks the running temperature of the metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) cluster close to the CPU, which regulates the rate of voltage delivered to the CPU and other items on the motherboard.

If you Overclock the CPU this would be a very important feature of the motherboard because the MOSFET cluster could run hot during heavy CPU activity.

If the MOSFET cluster gets too hot, the barrier between the MOSFET gate and the power channel would break down, then the motherboard and the CPU would get ZAPPED :shock:

All recent motherboards have this risk, but most don't have a PWM temperature monitor like you have.

Hope that helps.

Thanks AMDave. Your explanation is good for me to know. Pulsbredd Modulation, you have interpreted this word. Thanks.

Lagu :D

Lagu
01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi

Check out this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/

Awesome!

Lagu :shock:

Ototero
01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Well, it's gotta be said.

Strewth :shock:

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
And that is a two years old article!

Imagine what they could do today!! ;)

Lagu
01-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi

I have the Users Manual in front of me for my Termaltake CNPS7700 120 mm fan. I notice there is a Fan Speed Controller (Fan Mate 2) who enables control over noise and fan performance. But of any cause my reseller have not mount this control. There says if I use the Fan Mate I can turn up the speed so I can run in Normal mode wish not is possible if am crunching.

Specifications:
FAN

Bearing type: 2 Ball
Rotation Speed: 1.000-1.400 rpm +-10 % (Silent mode)
Rotation Speed: 1.400-2.000 rpm +-10 % (Low Noise Mode)

The fan uses to run at 1.800 rpm/min. I see it seems as the fan is set to run at 2000rpm and no Fan Mate needs. -10 percent is 200rpm lesser. However, I don’t know if a Fan Mate is good to have. I think perhaps I could get the fan to spin at 2000rpm the whole time.

I don´t know why it not was mounted. Perhaps the motherboard not supports it but I have a ABIT and I think it will support Fan Mate.

Any who have experience of speed and performance controllers?

Lagu
:)

Empty_5oul
01-24-2006, 09:44 PM
i take it this is a case fan? in which case the control would usually fit into either a PCI slot or a floppy slot.
Could you not mount this yourself?

any system would support this. it is independent to the other components.

Lagu
01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi

Perhaps I can. I stands in the Users manual how to do I think. The question is if it good the have or if I can be without. I will first talk to my reseller why they not have mounted it. This case fan is both to Intel and AMD and I don´t know if there is any restrictions.

Lagu :)

BlackAdder
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I would definiately hook up the fan mate and run the fan at full speed if the noise doesn't bother you. The cpu needs the extra cooling in my opinion, I would never just have a heatsink and not run the fan. For what it's worth I use the Cooler Master water cooler , the self contained unit , and my cpu temps at 100% use and overclocked are never above 110 F. XP3200 running at 2.3 gig. Asus A7n8X board. :D