PDA

View Full Version : The race starts again

vaughan
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Well after the power failure and total incompetence shown by the Rothberg Institute who allowed the stats computer to die and NOT HAVE A BACKUP set of the data files the D2OL project's stats have been re-set to Zero.

Time to start your engines everybody ... the race is on.

carlos
01-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Well after the power failure and total incompetence shown by the Rothberg Institute who allowed the stats computer to die and NOT HAVE A BACKUP set of the data files the D2OL project's stats have been re-set to Zero.

Time to start your engines everybody ... the race is on.

You say those guys are incompentents and you want to start crunching a dead project?

Carlos

vaughan
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Why do you say dead, Carlos? Can't you keep up with me? They have recently employed a new programmer. That implies un-dead to me. Do you have further information? Prey tell. In their Forum it is stated that they intend to improve the integrity of the system so that the small number of cheaters cannot use the flaw they have been using.

As a dedicated stats whore yourself you undoubtedly understand why I call the institute incompetent. It doesn't take much in dollars and sense to keep a backup of the data. They could possibly get the data from people like Bok or shauge (Sp?)at Team Norway. Instead Charles made the decision to restart from 0.

Thus the Race Starts Again

carlos
01-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I say dead because D2OL reminds me of Ubero and the most annoying is the lack of feedback from the owners.
Now they are starting to understand but they make too much mistakes.

Of course I can't compete with you, I am not rich as you are.

Offtopic

Are you watching the Australian Open (Lleyton Hewitt(AUS) vs Juan Ignacio Chela(ARG))?

Carlos

EDIT: Hewitt lost, sorry.

AMDave
01-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Bold move by Charles !!!
"Charles In Charge :D "

Surely the R.I. management could spring for a DVD burner this financial year - out of their annual management bonus fund
(SHOW SOME BACKBONE - I DARE YOU!)
Perhaps if we told them the consequences of RSI from excessive Blackberry useage maybe they could even get a 200GB T3 tape-backup rack unit out of the comms budget savings :evil:

For Pete's Sake, I hope their management get it right this time.
Do they actually know what the project itself is aiming to achieve, I wonder?

I have been in a position where "those-who-should-know-better" said you must do "this" with "less-than-you-have-now". My empathy to the old project team. Over the last few years we witnessed the D2OL project being cut back to nothing. Until this. Well DUH !
"That both sucks and blows!" (Rock-on Bart Simpson ;) )
I have to have numerous CD & DVD backups of every HDD. My wife would give me crispy-carbon-breakfast every morning for the rest of my days if I didn't...and my Boss would charge me for them :lol: if I didn't back up at work.

There are a lot of stalwarts around to help things back on track. R.I Commercial may not give 2 hoo-ha's about the DC community but we know what is worthwhile or we wouldn't do it (and if it wasn't it - wouldn't have got funding for so long in the first place)

Good luck Charles.
Give 'em hell.

vaughan
01-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Are you watching the Australian Open (Lleyton Hewitt(AUS) vs Juan Ignacio Chela(ARG))?
EDIT: Hewitt lost, sorry.

No I haven't. I'm not sorry he lost - I think he's an arrogant smart-ar$e - but thats just imo.

AMDave
01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
LOL - I've had it with "C'mon" too. I admit I don't love tennis. As far as I can tell the sponsor and the umpire always lose :lol:

Back on thread - This is a mighty blow !
All that work thrown to the wind.
Gees I hope it was just the stats and not the bio-results that were lost.

See who is taking advantage of the moment?
What a surprise :roll:
Looks like they may be sticking around though.
Some new competition is never a bad thing.

Lagu
01-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi

Have we lost the node number and must have a new?
I have not D20L on my computer because it vas removed when my computer was in service.

If it still is on their page I can logg in and watch my nodes number.

Yes, I agree with Vaughan they isn´t professional when they not have a backup. And I read their computers get power from a compressor an battery. It must be after the wather damage.

Lagu

vaughan
01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Lagu you will need a new node numbre. D2OL cannot give you your node.prp file that is something you need to keep safe. If your hard drive got formatted just download and install D2OL again and get a new node ID. That's why I have 20+ of the things!

Lagu
01-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi

I´m in D2OL again and will crunch it for a while.

Lagu :)

Brucifer
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I crunched like the dickens on that for a while, for multiple teams, under multiple names. Really ticks me off being a server-room network guy. No excuse for that. If the project is so poorly funded that they can't handle the backups, then obviously the management isn't putting much stock in the results of the project.

There are multiple small projects out there that are basicly one/two man shows.... and they are backing stuff up, and running out of their own private pockets. I don't intend on crunching d2ol anymore as there are too many other projects out there that care enough about the data that the DC community is donating to them (via machine time and expenses) to worry about a sloppily run effort.

It's like that saying, you can have two million "attaboys" and it is all wiped out by one "aw-$hit". Unfortunately this isn't their first one.

And while stats isn't data as in crunched results, the integrity of stats data determines to quite a large extent whether or not many people are going to put any time and resources into a project. So in reality, stats data is quite important to a project just as their actual crunched project data.

vaughan
01-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Also, if the institute won't fund decent UPSs and backup storage devices they should ask for donations. With a large enough userbase and D2OL plus TSC have lots of members they ought to be able to get part if not the whole of the funds they need. Haven't they heard of PayPal?

Brucifer
01-22-2006, 11:27 PM
And this leads into that other aw-$hit...... their lack of communication with the DC crunchers. And that would have a large impact on whether or not people would be willing to donate. Projects that spend much effort talking to the crunching public are the true success stories, cause they view the whole effort as the real team.

AMDave
01-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Charles points out they have a new PM on the project.
Perhaps there may be improvements.
There is always hope ;)

Keith75
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
I tried getting some work for it and it keeps failing. Anyone else having this?

Keith

Lagu
01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Keith75

I too had problems yesterday. I could only upload not download the task due to server problems. Now I have only three tasks to crunch. When I have zero tasks I will try download again.

Lagu ;)

Keith75
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me at fault. LOL

Keith

Lagu
01-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi

No, I failed to download only upload. The error message is:
Error talking to URL

I´m nou running MJ-12 instead.

Beerknurd
01-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Dang that sucks that we lost all of our scores... I should probably do a few WU's to get back on the board...

Ototero
01-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I've submitted 3 lots of work in 3 days and my score is still a fat ZERO :cry:

Keith75
01-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Something isn't right. It has been showing up my submissions within minutes.

Keith

Ototero
01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry, just me being stupid.

I didn't add my new node to my ID.

I'm 6th i think after the ground zero restart.

Lagu
01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi

Copyed from D20L´s forum. 3 postings.

the stats contain the true node stats. Node XYZ would be annotated as having 1,000,000,000 points even if it was not assigned to any user
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Starting to work on the clients code will come later in time, first up is fixing the JSP jobs so that the lost stats may be joined with the current stats and fixing the system so that new libraries can be loaded. Only after this has been done will Andy start to look over the code of the client and of the servers, or so this is what I understand.

Where as all of us would like to see the stats recovered and joined with the current run, if it can't happen it is not going to happen; but it may be entirely possible to create a static page with the old run of stats on it but they will be static and we will continue to build on the new stats.

Many may not agree with this but what must come before the stats is protecting the science we have generated in our results. For TRI this is paramount, otherwise what is the point of continuing on? When there is a power loss at TRI there is finite amount of electricity that can be generated to run hardware on. While as it may be an inconvenience to you and I that the web server or stats server is off, the power is better used running the refrigeration units in the wet lab than the web sever. We would not want the samples to expire to do no refrigeration just so that we can get our stats fix for that day. The web server will come back up and the results will propagate to the stats server and everything will be updated, but the science has to come first.

You can at least expect new libraries in the future as well as a new client/backend. The stats as I said may end up just being a static reference page if they cannot be merged with the current JSP.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

For the most part I agree with Rodzilla, but I think that the stats should stay lost. After all the alleged "cheating" (I'm not pointing any fingers here, so nobody get upset!)and other stuff thats happend recently, I think the stats should start off from new. This way ALL the teams are starting from an equal point and not being boosted by extremely high numbers from LOOOOONG since inactive nodes / members. Lets start with new stats and only active team members. This would be a MUCH more interesting game of chase.

There must be some middle point we could reach were everyone is happy, maybe if a new bug free / updated / same client - different number / whatever /insert here, client can be released fairly soon, we could restart the stats from that new client, and update the final stats for the previous (current) client to reflect the true numbers that the teams produced under that run.

If you look at the current team stats, you will see that there have been a LOT of position changes, and lots of non / low production teams are now much further down than they used to be. and some teams are right back at their position before the stats loss. These stats now reflect the true, current team production numbers.

Same teams, just new battles ahead.

Lagu
01-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi

Are there any as have got any task yet?
I tried but got following message: Error: Unable to locate a server for service: TaskData_Service

I´m unsure how the results will be handle, if t will show up or not.

Lagu :-(

vaughan
01-25-2006, 09:40 PM
No, I'm using my cached units. Some computers have run down to 0 so have switched them to other projects. Rothberg don't seem to be having a good run at the moment.

Keith75
01-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Lagu,

Same here. Keep getting the same error and haven't gotten any new tasks at all.

Keith

Lagu
01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi

I have switch my PC to uFluid. I have 2 works to crunch.

Brucifer
01-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Time here is 19:31 PST, and I just downloaded 50 tasks, so I'd have to say that they are running again. I just put a machine on it for a while to at least get on the board again. don't know how long I'll leave it on d2ol as I really rather ticked off about the whole thing.

edit: heh, I see my system isn't "asutomagically" compensating for the 1 hour daylight savings time...... oh well....

Keith75
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
I am getting work now also. Is the work we are getting doing any good or is it just the same old work being passed back out?

Keith

Lagu
01-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi

Today I tried downloading 300 WU´s from D2OL. But I failed, and the agent told me I already have 200 assigned WU´s. I though there must be something wrong so I clicked on “flush all works” to remove them. To my surprise the download started and now I’m downloading 2000 WU´s but the download is very slow as it always have used to be.

Lagu :D

Brucifer
02-11-2006, 03:56 AM
I tried downloading 500 on one system tonight and could only get 267. On another system I tried to get 200, and only got 129. Doesn't look like we are in the "new and improved" scene yet.... Any new gossip on this project???

Lagu
02-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Brucifer

How about your Java. Have you upgrade the J2SE Runtime Environement?

I´m not sure if it has with your downlaod to do but I have found this from D2OL´s forum posted 10 Feb:

I have implemented the new tasks with all the structures that DID migrate. We're taking a change here wrt: what will the assignment engine do when it can't find the pdbq file I was starving y'all and as Adam is working on how to load new libraries, it seemed foolish to sweat the old library so much. Everyone needs WORK!

--------------------
Charles Beckius
D20L Forum Administrator

Lagu
02-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi

Here is some gossip from D2OL´s programmer Adam who have written this 10 Feb:

Greetings everyone,

My first visit to TRI (February 3 – 6) is now in the books, and I wanted to take a few minutes here to update the community on the activities from this weekend. We were able to accomplish a great deal of knowledge transfer from Charles and Wolfgang to myself, which will be very important as we move forward. Of more immediate concern to the science and community of the project, we established a strong set of goals for the coming year that will help to revitalize the project and give us a firm foundation for future improvements.

First and foremost, this project is about finding drugs that can help fight diseases. You all have done a lot of work over the last few years in crunching the candidates and targets that we have given you, and your efforts have whittled the field down to several top conformers. While we need to keep working on the current libraries and targets in order to find all of the promising conformers that we can, we realize that a large percentage of the solution space has already been visited. It is for this reason that our top priority for this quarter is the release of a new target and new candidate libraries. To that end, we have identified a promising Avian Flu target and two large libraries of commercially-available drug candidates. I am currently working on formatting the associated files for use with our software.

While the science of drug discovery is the central focus of the project, contributor statistics provide tangible, up-to-date metrics for users to gauge their activity and the contributions they have made to the search for drug treatments. To make tracking our progress a better, more meaningful experience for you (and us!), we are planning to update the statistics processing code to improve both accuracy and currency. I am working with Sengent to make sure we have access to a stable, up-to-date code base before I begin my development work.

Finally, this transition period in the project’s life cycle provides a good opportunity to step back and look at where we’ve been and where we would like to go in the future. Fairly soon, I will be releasing Vision and Values statements for the project, which will help guide our actions moving forward. These will be living documents, and I encourage you to participate in shaping the project by giving me your thoughts on these topics. Then, later in the year, we plan to publish a review article detailing D2OL’s accomplishments and our place in the historical and current Distributed Computing landscape for computational chemistry. This will serve as the perfect celebratory capstone on the first phase of the project as we turn the page and move forward.

As you can see, we had a busy weekend, and there is a lot of work to do in the coming year. I’m confident, though, that we’ll be able to make important improvements to the project and continue to do good science, and I look forward to working with the talented people at TRI and all of you in our dedicated user communities. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Adam

Lagu ;)

Lagu
02-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi

I´ve just uploaded 2000 work units. It have take long time because I have run Majestic-12 and uFluid besides. We are still on 9th place yet.

vaughan
02-22-2006, 02:01 AM
I got some but not all of the requested work. Seems like D2OL are still having some hardware problems but as long as we get some tasks to crunch then it will be OK.

Lagu
02-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Vaughan

Yes, you are right. I too notised this today. I should download 250 work units but got only 229.

I notised there was a failure trough the download process.

vaughan
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
That was a nice 2000 dump in D2OL yesterday Lagu. :)

I don't have the patience to store up so many results.

Lagu
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi

I think it took nearly 1 mouth to crunch.