PDA

View Full Version : Different mode

Lagu
01-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi

I’m running my AMD 64 3200+ in Default mode.

CPU Frequents: 2.244 MHz
External clock: 204 MHz
CPU Ratio 11.0X
AGP Frequents 68 MHz
PCI Frequens 34 MHz
V-core 1.500 V
Temp:
CPU: 57 C
SYS: 41 C
PVM: 45 C

I have another setting called Normal

CPU Frequents: 2.310 MHz
External clock: 210 MHz
CPU Ratio 11.0X
AGP Frequents 70 MHz
PCI Frequents 34 MHz
V-core 1.600 V
Temp:
CPU: 66 C
PVM: 47 C

A third alternative setting called Turbo

CPU Frequents: 2.376 MHz
External clock: 216 MHz
CPU Ratio 11.0X
AGP Frequents 72 MHz
PCI Frequents 36 MHz
V-core 1.700 V
Temp:
CPU: >80 C
PVM: 52 C

I have test run using Normal. If I use 100% of system recourses the system shouted down because to high temp whish is set to 80 C before shouting down

Using Turbo is impossible. The computer shouted down after 10 sec using 100% of the recourses because the temps rapidly decrease. Using Turbo should be great and the performance should decrease compared with Default mode.

Abit Uguru is good to have. It shows the voltage, temps fan speed and so on.

I have a Zalman CNPS7700 1.800 rpm 12 cm fan and an auxiliary fan 8 cm but it seems as isn’t enough.

Lagu :)

Empty_5oul
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
i have the same lagu :D

what is your board.i only got mine fully working last week or so but i like the "overclock on the fly" settings - especially where you can set the machine to over/under clock when specific applications are launched.

Lagu
01-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Empty-5oul

My Motherboard is ABIT KV8 PRO
Chipset VIA K8T800 + VT8237
2.000 MHz system bus using HypertTransport tecnologi
Sata Raid but I fdont use this function because I have only one disc.

Lagu :D

mitro
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
There has to be a problem with the way your Zalman is mounted, those teperatures are WAY too high for good aftermarket cooling. In fact an A64 should never go higher than 50-55C, thats the temperature that they tend to crash.

mitro
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
double post, sorry. :oops:

Empty_5oul
01-20-2006, 05:10 PM
that does seem high.
i will check mine later and post what i get. (i am using standard heatsink that came with the processor 64 3200+). I have no case fans either.

Lagu
04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi

I´m playing with a little overclocking. Before I had:

Speed: 2.247 MHz and now 2.277 MHz
External clock: 204 MHz and now 207 MHz

Temp as is wrong: 92 Degree

Lagu :cool:

spikey_richie
04-13-2006, 09:27 PM
You should lock your PCI bus...

And have you locked your memory timings (RAS-CAS-TAS...)?

That's a good start though :D

My CPU is a 3400+ and has a default of 2009mhz core.

With my PC I'm running a VCORE of 155 + 104% (1.61v), an FSB of 230mhz and a 11x mult. I have also put a divider in my RAM, and set the RAM timings.

Lagu
04-13-2006, 09:41 PM
No I haven´t done that. I have uGuru as atomatically change all settings but I dont know how it is with the memory? Must it be done manyally?
And RAC/TAC how will I do that?

Lagu :?

spikey_richie
04-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Take a look at this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Is aimed at a DFI user, but most will apply to you.

Oh, and this one for RAM:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95128

Lagu
04-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi

AMD CPUinfo says I have a speed of 2.301 MHz and uGuru 2.277 MHz.
Strange, whish is right???

Lagu :?

spikey_richie
04-13-2006, 09:51 PM
What is uGuru? A utility that comes with the motherboard? If so, I'd trust that!

OR

Download CPUZ from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Lagu
04-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi

Yes it is and it is easy to owerclock a little step every time.

Lagu

spikey_richie
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Excellent. Is that an nForce 4 chipset then?

I'm still on nForce 3 so I have to use the old fashioned approach.

Lagu
04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi

Thanks. RAC/CAS and other values have changed.
Empty-5oul have the same mobo as me. He use to owerclock sometimes i guess.

Empty_5oul
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
afraid i dont know how lagu. I followed (tried to) the abit forums guide but it got too complex for me pretty quickly.
I just set my overclock to "turbo" within the guru software. It seems to work great. It does the voltages/dividers itself as needed and if the temps get to high or the fan speeds too slow it will sound the alarm and then shut down.
Suits me perfectly.

Steve Lux
04-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, unhappy day.

After letting my AMD 4800+ run at 2.6 GHz (10% OC'd) for half the day I set my Buss Turnaround timing from Auto to T1 after reading an OC-ing experience at Ace's Hardware http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000305 and my system immediately died upon saving the mod and exiting the BIOS. It won't even try to perform the POST. I've cleared my BIOS repeatedly, removed and re-seated the cards and periferal connections.

I have followed all ASUS troubleshooting guidelines at http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.aspx?SLanguage=en-us (Stuff I already tried) I'm still dead in the water. I even tried replacing the RAM with the two 1G sticks I bought for my 3800+. Seeing as how the Bus Turnaround time effects the timing of the ram as it changes states between read and write on the memory bus this seemed a viable failure, but then again it was a dead end.

The mobo power available LED lights up, the fans and the pump are all running. The processor temps never exceeded 50C. Just before the shut down for BIOS mod my PROC temps were at 46C. Earlier I had instability issues when the RAM voltage was set above 2.8 vdc. The BIOS warned about going above 2.9v on the ram voltage, so this morning when I tried it at 2.9v the system wouldn't boot. At 2.85v the OS was sketchy and wanted to hang, but at 2.8V the system had been running stable for about 3-4 hours. I had mounted a dedicated fan above the RAM specifically for heat dissipation due to the raised voltage. In any instance these issues never prevented a POST.

After each mod (if the system booted and the OS and software wasn't hanging up or acting sketchy) I was letting it run Predictor for a few hours at 100% per core before I would make the next tweek.

Anyhow, at this moment I don't know if the problem is in the processor or the mobo. I'm at a point now that I don't know what else I can try.

NeoGen
04-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Does your system have one of those little speakers hooked up to the motherboard? Many times upon booting, if something goes wrong they give out a series of beeps that represent an error code, that you can later search online for its meaning.

And how are you clearing the bios? Usually there's a jumper on the motherboard that you set on a specific position for it. But I think that removing the battery for a while also works... :P

Steve Lux
04-16-2006, 03:06 AM
The little speaker, for the "beep" code is activated during the POST (Power On Self Test). There are a variety of beep sequences that the BIOS uses to inform of what conditions are found. Different chip sets have different beep codes. As the unit isn't performing the POST the speaker isn't making a peep, or a beep as it were. Commonly a single short beep from the BIOS indicates a good POST.

For some information and examples of some beep codes: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm.

I clear my BIOS by:

1) Removing the power from your system.
2) Removing the peripherals and various cards. (Not always needed, seen as overkill by some)
3) Remove the battery from the motherboard.
4) This step is unique to particular mobo, but on mine you move a jumper from one set of pins to another set of pins. The first set of pins is used to send battery backup power to the BIOS, the second set of pins shorts the BIOS power-in lead to ground to ensure the volatile memory inside the BIOS has been cleared. Leave the jumper on for a few seconds.
5) Remove the jumper and put it back to its initial/default position.
6) Put the battery back in place on the motherboard.
7) (This step may be left out when attempting to diagnose BIOS/POST problems - basically when your trying to figure out what may be pulling the system down.) Re-install the cards and reconnect the peripheral components.
8) Double check your connections, card and ram seating and look for any other visible problems.
9) Power your system back up.

It's really pretty simple. You're trying to reset your BIOS to its default settings. Provided the BIOS is operating properly it should return to its default settings - which means you have to set it back up again. If the process succeeds.

The reason that cards or peripherals are sometimes left out is because they may be interfering with the POST process due to a short or some other issue. The mobo's BIOS should still POST, but with components missing it should give a series of beep codes because of the missing components that it was expecting to find - but didn't.

What I need to do is to go to work and get my multimeter. I need to read the various power supply outputs to ensure I'm getting the voltages I should be expecting. Hm... Now that I think of it I should remove the power leads, not just the data leads from the peripherals. My power supply is supposed to be short out - proof (yeah, right), anyhow if a peripheral has a short it could be pulling down the voltage levels in the whole system. It's late and I'm frustrated, so I'll check this idea out tomorrow.

Lagu
04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi

How Important is these Beep´s? Because I´m deaf I never can hear any Beep or alarm. Yet, I have had my computers since 1996 and it perhaps have Beeped some times but still works as normal. What I have to do is to check the code of the motherboard to see if there is any abnormal.

I think the computer can Beep and when I invulntary ignore this the computer will shout down as happen yestarday when the Graphic Card got overheated and I got a message as say I should shut down my computer.

Lagu :D

Empty_5oul
04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
if you can't boot your machine into the OS the beeps are very important!!!

i tested my uguru setup and set it to beep on any fan under 1000rpm. I set this on a non-existant fan meaning it was below the limit. My uguru sounded the alarm but nothing else happened (the actual uguru display stays the same) - you wouldnt realise the alarm was sounding, however if the temps rise high enough then the uguru will automatically shut the machine down before any components can be damaged.

Lagu
04-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Empty_5oul

Yes you are right. I´ve check for shoutdown if the fan begins to be slower than normal.