PDA

View Full Version : Cheap boxen

Goatherder
08-12-2003, 05:01 AM
If anyone's ever interested in adding another AMD box to their DC arsenal, this site seems to be the place for cheap AMD boxen.

http://www.computergeeks.com
I was tempted to buy an AMD XP2200 for $210 the other day, but it was gone before I could get home and plug in my CC. Right now they've got a Compaq Athlon XP 2000+ 256MB 40GB CDRW Sound, Video, LAN complete system for $279.99.

One of these days I'll sell my children and use their bedrooms as DC farms. Weeee!!!

Bionic_Redneck
08-12-2003, 06:40 AM
hey GH you should take a hard look at the ltsp thing if you want to get serious about farming. basicly what it is a way of running diskless nodes from linux. you start with a server and the nodes boot over your network. there are two ways of doing it get nics with boot roms or install the rom.iso image onto a floppy. I think if you had motherboard with built in nicsyou would be good to go.

Goatherder
08-12-2003, 07:03 AM
I know, I almost need some kind of linux boxen on my network. I have a P600 coming my way soon via my company's donation for my hard work, probably by year's end. It's just that this P233MMX unfortunately can't contribute much. I had the latest Debian release on it, but then after I formatted (really zero wrote each HD) I realized I had a bad DIMM combo. So I'm stuck with Win98SE lite/micro again.