PDA

View Full Version : What port does eOn use?

vaughan
01-21-2006, 02:59 AM
What port does eOn use?

How can I make it use port 80?

AMDave
01-21-2006, 04:59 AM
In the client.cfg file you will find that the program uses port 10204 to communicate with the server. Changing this to 80 will not work as the eOn server is only listening on port 10204 as far as I can see.

If you have a HTTP-proxy and would like change the settings, they are also in that file. However, as at December 2005 the jury is still out as to wether that functionality works or not.
http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50

If you get those settings to work, please post in that forum.

vaughan
01-21-2006, 05:21 AM
I tried modifying the client.cfg file by REM'ing out the existing contents and adding the same info but using 80 instead of their numbers.

Failed.

When I checked it after the experiment the REM section was removed and there were two lots of their settings!

Looks like I cannot run eOn then on the ADSL line only on Optarse Cable. With the intense Dimes activity over the last day or so I'm over 80% peak so I need to watch my bandwidth usage closely.

NVM
01-21-2006, 04:55 PM
With the intense Dimes activity over the last day or so I'm over 80% peak so I need to watch my bandwidth usage closely.

how much usage are we talking here? what do you figure 1 Dimes client uses per month?

vaughan
01-21-2006, 10:39 PM
My systems used about 4GB in about 3 days. I was running Dimes on all of them. I had some days of about 60,000 points whereas the usual is 20,000.

Back on topic:
I've had no success changing the port assignment for eOn.

In any case I'm seeing lots of ZZZs again. You raised your output AMDave - did you get some more PCs?

AMDave
01-21-2006, 11:18 PM
No. I wish. :lol:

I haven't been running eOn for a couple of months (except for a few days in december) while I grabbed 3 yellow jerseys :twisted:

I just turned my eOn clients on again :shock:

Looks like I am still going to become roadkill, though.

Lagu
01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Vaughan

Have you a firewall? Sometimes the firewall will be the Acilles heel and prevent one from connect correctly.

Lagu ;)

vaughan
01-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Hi Lagu,

Its a bit complicated. I have two broadband connections available. The Cable can connect to eOn without difficulty. The ADSL goes through a company firewall and I can only use Port 80 (http). I was trying to see if eOn could use my ADSL account but it seems the answer is "no". :sad10:

AMDave
01-22-2006, 05:04 AM
OK. Now I'm rockin'.