PDA

View Full Version : weird cpu fan sounds

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm starting to worry now... :?
Since this morning that my cpu fan is making weird noises. Screeching sounds like if it's speeding up and then slowing down afterwards. It does this a few times, then stops and works normally, then starts again sometime later.

I've been looking at the fan speed and temp monitors and they don't change very much. At full load the cpu temp is constant at 50C and the fan is always between 2600 and 2700 rpm's.

I hope I don't wake up one morning with the cpu burned... :?

Empty_5oul
01-23-2006, 03:07 PM
are you sure its nothing else e.g a case fan?

also check your wires, sometimes a sound cable or something (cable tie. etc) may be "flicking" against the fan creating these noises.

Ototero
01-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Sounds to me like your fan bearing is on the way out.

The make it last a bit longer, lay the PC on it's side, remove the side cover, peel back the circular label on the fan.

Add a SMALL drop of oil in the centre (European spelling :lol: ) to smooth things along.

Look for a new fan within the next 2 or 3 months.

Jeff
01-23-2006, 03:48 PM
What motherboard do you have?

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
An MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU (the one with the RAID controller onboard)

Great board in my oppinion. Can't do much on it for overclocking, but it has resisted all the torments I put it through everyday! :P

Jeff
01-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, I have the Asus A8N deluxe board and I had some fan noise. Turns out to be the chipset fan. I navigated through Asus' website, which can be tricky, and reported my problem. They sent me a replacement fan.

Are you absolutely sure its your CPU fan?

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Either that or the PSU, as they're both very close.

My little chipset fan never really worked, or if it did it was just in the beggining. And I really never bothered to fix/replace it (shame on me... :oops: lol) as I never had any problems with it being stopped.

The other larger fan is on the opposite end of the case, I'm sure the sound doesn't come from it.

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Wait... after shutting down the machine for a little while and snooping inside, I found yet another fan that I was forgetting about, the GPU fan.

Might be it, as it was the only one that felt kind of hot when I touched. I spinned it a little and it seems to spin allright but I'll keep an eye on it.

Empty_5oul
01-23-2006, 09:11 PM
if possible swap it out then you will really know.

otherwise try re-seating the card, possibly clean the fan aswell (i find a toothbrush to do the job best).

NeoGen
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Yep, I'm sure now! It's the gpu fan!

I waited for it to happen again, with the case open this time, and it was clearly the gpu fan. The whole graphics card was shaking alot.

Oh well... now I gotta see where can I get one of those little fans for the gpu. Hope the local computer stores got them around...

BlackAdder
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
I've burnt up quite a few video card fans in the last 8 years that I've had computers...I've had good luck with the Thermaltake replacement fansinks but I've even worn out a few of them too.There will be two bearings on the fan unless it is a sleve bearing(bushing) type.I don't know if you can even get to the bottom bearing to oil it though, but a drop on the top one may be all it needs. :D

Lagu
01-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi

When I read NeoGen´s message I now have been aware a problem for me personally. Because I’m deaf on my both ears I can impossibility hear the lowest or the highest sound. If the fan begins to squeak or jingle I can be sitting in front of my monitor unaware of what is going on. The worst scenario should be that the fan should cut and complete be damaged.

As I have the uGuru tools I think I must check the fan speed more often. If I noticed the fan speed increase there is a way to see if there have happen something and of source the temp will be higher than it used to be.

I can tell you if am driving my car and suddenly the exhaust get damaged I can feel that because there is another resonance sound as come over me. This is because it is a hard sound and not a soft one. The exhaust gas goes on the outside of the muffler which I can feel. This is good because peoples not will be looking after me for long. :lol:

Lagu :D

Empty_5oul
01-24-2006, 10:12 AM
lagu via the uguru and bios you can set it to either:
1. sound an alarm
2. shutdown
when the temps get high or something goes wrong. I set mine a few degrees lower than what they were - and to test it recently put it down to 40 or so on the processor to see if it does cut in and shut the machine down. To my surprise it worked great.

NeoGen
01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
The only problem with testing if the computer does shut down or not is that you might get corrupted files and stuff.

But to that problem there's also a good solution. :) Boot and run the machine from a live cd. If it doesn't need the hard drive, it won't corrupt anything when unexpectedly shut down.