PDA

View Full Version : the climate is sooo messed up...

NeoGen
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
It actually snowed in my city this afternoon! :shock:

It hadn't snowed in some 50 years! The weather reports say this has been the harshest winter in decades.

This is starting to remind me of the movie "The day after tomorrow"

Keith75
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I had been hearing that it was very cold this winter over in Europe and Russia. Here in the midwest where it is usually down in the 20s it has been in the 50s and 60s since early December. Heard yesterday it was the second warmest winter in a hundred years. From what I have heard though we are coming out of a mini ice age and the Earth is warming back up to were it normally is. One of the things that is interesting to look at is the average temperature for the Earth in past. If you look at it for the past hundred million years you will see that most of the time it was much warmer than it is now.

Keith

carlos
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
And near the beach was sunny!

Carlos

Empty_5oul
01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
it snowed here the other day. its all mostly melted now though.

Lagu
01-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Hej

We had a 3 days of blizzards tha past week. In Sundsvall where I lived it fell 60 cm snow in 2 days. The temperature was -7. In the north of Sweden there had been -40.6 C.

This winter is the first real ones since 1985. Other winters have been warm and it come rain instead for snow. I´m sure the world will se how the weather change. Places who newer got snow will have it in the future and where the weather is warmth there will be some cold days.

We humans is the cause to the change of the weather. And, we have done mych little for save the earth.

Lagu :)

AMDave
01-30-2006, 09:36 AM
50 Years. That's a lifetime event!
I hope there was enough to make a snow-ball.
I wish everyone got the chance to do that at least once. :D

Just remember - "Never eat yellow snow !" :lol:

Lagu -40 to -7 !!! :shock: That is a huge change.
I hope your PCs are keeping you warm tonight, though. ;)

The rate of reduction in the glaciers and the polar ice caps is quite alarming. Keith, I have reviewed the last 50 year moving-averages but it seems we need to look at much longer periods to see how far the temperature guage will swing the other way.

No worries folks. The Earth will fix itself. If it wipes us out along the way, it will not feel any emotion about it. :lol: In the mean time, does anyone else notice a long term change in the moon's orbital distance over the same periods? It is quite fascinating. I wonder what might ever cause it to drift back again ... Eureka! Offer it a publicity contract! Nothing can resist the limelight (Politics 101 circa 2006 -> insert picture of Emu with head-in-sand here <- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

The suspense is too great.
IMHO if the earth is in an oscillating eliptical orbit then this would also affect the moon's orbital distance from us. This may also be "normal". Besides, the current rate of decay is not an immediate concern (unless you are a shore living molusc with the lifespan of a Galapagos tortois). Please call back in 100 years. :lol:

On the serious side, I now, realistically contemplate plans to move further South from the Tropic of Capricorn (or equidistant to the North from the Tropic of Cancer) by 2010 in my long term plans.
I don't tan very well :evil:

In the mean time, Tropical Cyclone Jim has tracked away from Queensland (phew), but directly at the holiday favourite, Noumea (eek!).
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65240.shtml
(URL relevent only Jan-Feb 2006)
I hope they are all OK.

Keith75
01-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I think the two main causes of temperature fluctuation on Earth are volcanic, especially underwater volcanos, and the sun. I have heard that just a small change in sun spots can make major changes to the energy the Earth receives.

I don't think humans make much if any difference.

Beerknurd
01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
What is snow??? I have never heard of it.....

Keith75
01-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Rub it in Beerk. :D

Beerknurd
01-30-2006, 11:19 PM
I did some research online about the the thing yall call "snow"

It appears to be a type of percipitation that happens when the weather is below freezing and rains. The rain freezes and turns into ice and snow while it is falling. I live in Texas so it never happens here.... I would imagine that it is very fun. I WANT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Lagu
01-30-2006, 11:32 PM
What is snow??? I have never heard of it.....

Beerknurd, have you heard the word Snowtrace? They have this in the Alps or in the mountain for packing the snow when peoples will run slalom by ski.

Snow is ice crystal as instead for rain whish fell from the heaven and cover the ground in white colour. You can go skiing using 2 skies and 2 sticks to hold the balance and for helping you to speed up.

Hope it helps you understand what snow is. Snow can be found I Aspen and Squaw Valley (Chamonix 1901 winter OS) and in Utah, Salt Lake City (Sun Walley). They have 13 meters of snow.

Lagu ;) :D :D