PDA

View Full Version : Dual 478's

BoostedIntegra
01-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Is it possible to run a 3.2ghz and a 3.0ghz on a dual processor motherboard I see no reason why they have to be the same speed, i know it would make more sense to run 2 different machines but this is just something I really want to do. And if I do run the two is 1gig of ram enough? I know most of you will say there is no use for 2 processors really but I've always been curious and why the hell not experiment? If anyone has experience with this please assist inm areas such as power supply size, ram, etc. Thanks

Jeff
01-20-2004, 07:44 PM
I would get a beefed up PSU, like 500 watts. It might be overkill, but hey, it would get the job done.

Bionic_Redneck
01-21-2004, 01:53 AM
No 500w isn't overkill I can't speak for intel but amd duallies minimum psu is 400w with 500w being the recommended size. I think the quality of psu has a determining factor. I believe what your main consern is the 5v line. don't think p4's will work as a dually I think they have to be xeon's and having two different speed cpu's is ok they will just run as fast as the slowest cpu and you need to have a smp capable operating system like win2k, winXP pro, or linux. Usually you need special ram some boards do run with unbuffered ddr but only with one or two sticks plus not completely stable and some boards require registered ddr to run at all. What I would do is check the board webpage to see what the power requirements are for psu and which ram is compatible. some brand of ram don't do well in certain boards I would stick with what brand they have certifed that works.

also p3's will run in a dually config.