PDA

View Full Version : New teammate

Reaper13
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi I just joined the team for Predictor. I have two machines running, an X2 4400, and an A64 3800. Hope I can help push the team to a higher rank.

Empty_5oul
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
sounds gd.

welcome to AMD Users.

do you rate a dual core machine as oppose to your 64bit?

Reaper13
02-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I love my dual core. It is great crunching and gaming. I run BOINC while playing BF2 and other games. The 3800 is my laptop, but when it is here a work I let it crunch.

Empty_5oul
02-07-2006, 06:17 PM
sounds gd.

what is your ingame name for BF2. when i play i fight as Empty_5oul (maybe i have owned you before!!!!! lol :lol: )

what graphics card do you have in that machine?

NeoGen
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the forums Reaper13! :D

Man... an X2 4400 is a dream... :shock:
A machine like that will definetly push us good on Predictor! :)

Do enjoy your stay here on the forums, and post if you got any questions about anything hardware/software/DC'ing/etc related.
If you would like to run other projects, you can also run with us. We are into every distributed computing project that supports teams and is open for public. If you find one that we're not in, tell us and we'll get on it asap! :)

Reaper13
02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
In game name is RBS-Reaper13, my G card is Nvidia 6800gt. My 7800GTX should be here in a few days. I am selling my 6800 to my friend.

Oh yeah and I just added 2000 credits to the team. Not much cuz I just started predictor, but I have 1600 pending and a lot more to come after that. :D

Beerknurd
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Excellent. Welcome to the team.

AMDave
02-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Lucky friend!

Likewise :D Welcome to the AMD Users Team.

Lagu
02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Hej

Yes, Welcome and thanks for your contribution. It would help our team a lot.

Lagu :D

Steve Lux
03-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Another new user here.

Running an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+. Not the fastest system in the world, but as I don't use much of the processor power (I don't play many games) what I have is available. Looks like the AMD Users team needs a bit of help to take first place, so I'm here.

This is my first step upto an AMD product from Intel. So far so good. My old PIII 400 Mhz Intel-based system finally died after about 6 years. I've noticed that AMD seems to have the performance/price edge on Intel so I jumped ship.

I'm thinking of taking my dead old system and replacing its boards and brains and networking it to my main system, just for Boinc-ing, so I'll be poking around for info. Just like replacing computer systems though, I'm not in any hurry.

SteveL

NeoGen
03-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Welcome aboard Steve! :D

And great machine you got there. AMD's are rock solid machines. I'm still running an AthlonXP 2000+, and I know there's people here running even older machines than mine. :)

And yep, we could really use a push up in Predictor. It's a very popular project and alot of teams with powerful members are on it. A machine like yours on it will give us a good boost. :)

Don't hesitate to post when you got any questions. We here are into hardware too besides DC'ing, and some people do overclocking to dangerous levels even. :P If you wanna try overclocking your X2, there are a few people here with experience on it that could share their knowledge with you.

Tell me, is Predictor your first Distributed Computing project? If not, how did you start? :)

Steve Lux
03-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Interesting. I looked up my AMD Users team OT on Predictor and it told me:

"Steve Lux will not be overtaken by anyone!"

Also, there are several of you on my OT hit list - yer going down! I wonder how long that will last... :twisted:

Actually I started Feb 21 on Seti, simply because that is the first DC project I had known of. I noticed some of the other projects but didn't start anything else until the 22nd. Had some problems with Rosetta as it ran three tasks and each had some computational error, so I have them set to receive no new work. No sense wasting crunch capacity.

I first heard of DC projects when I wrote code for Simutronics as a GameMaster for Gemstone3. Simutronics had one of their outdated servers running Seti 24/7/365. I just graduated from a really slow system so I didn't think I had enough capacity for DC work until I got this new HP.

I wouldn't mind overclocking my X2 a bit, but not to dangerous levels. My fan still barely turns so my dual core processor can't be very warm. Is this just a BIOS setting I can modify during a cold boot?

NeoGen
03-07-2006, 10:09 PM
This thread here started with comparing machines, and at some point diverged to Overclocking. Our member Mitro has got a good experience on it. :)
http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2100