PDA

View Full Version : BBC Climate Change Experiment

NeoGen
02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
New project people!! :D

BBC seems to be working co-op with the Climate Prediction team and is now running a Climate Prediction project of their own!
Here's the website:
http://bbc.cpdn.org/

Attention
If you already have BOINC, then you don't need to download it from the website! Just go into your boinc, and run the attach new project wizard using the above website when asked. Create a new account through it and you're done! (Don't forget to go to the site and join our team ;))
If you don't have BOINC, then you can very well install their custom version, it is based on the latest 5.3.18 that is not even released on the boinc site yet.

If you prefer to create an account on the site instead of through the boinc wizard, then you can do so here:
http://bbc.cpdn.org/create_account_form.php?teamid=3

There should not be any problem with the boinc version you use, providing it's at least 5.2.x I think. But if you do have problems, then you might wanna consider upgrading your boinc to v5.3.17 (the latest alpha you can find on the website)
http://morel.mit.edu/download/boinc/dl/boinc_5.3.17_windows_intelx86.exe

And for you to see a preview of the screensaver, here's a screenshot.
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1218/bbccce1ll.th.jpg (http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bbccce1ll.jpg)
I turned off all the extra layers, like temperature, precipitation, etc, leaving just the map and turned on the stars background. I prefer it this way. The layers on top appear to be quite pixelated, or at least to me...

P.S. - If you're browsing the site searching for the familiar boinc style menus, then go to the "My Details" and scroll down and click on "Advanced users: options and web pages"
Or... you can just click here ;)
http://bbc.cpdn.org/advanced.php

NeoGen
02-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's a few things I thought I'd mention...

By my calculations, at a rate of 4 seconds per timestep (4 sec/TS), one simulation should be finished in around 7 months. (Working 24/7)

Note that 4 sec/TS is the speed of my AthlonXP 2000+. Extrapolate that to the speed of your machine and you'll have an idea of how long it will take for you.

This application only sends trickles once per year of simulation. Each year of simulation takes me about 30 hours in the above said machine. That's how often I receive credits.

And finally, each trickle awards something like 220 credits... or at least to me. Multiply that by 160 years of simulation and you'll get over 35,000 credits for a full run! :)

NVM
02-17-2006, 01:53 AM
meh, one CP is enough imo.

NeoGen
02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
I think no matter how many CP's we run, the climate is still doomed to change radically... :?
But the more different experiences we run, and the more detailed they are, the better we can predict the global changes and adapt ourselves to them... :roll:

NeoGen
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
We've reached TOP 5!! :D

We're currently ranked 4th, to be more precise. ;)

OtherworldBob
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
We're moving up in the world - now ranked 3rd. :)

Plus we're in breathing distance of 2nd - the United Kingdom team.
Top 20 (http://bbc.cpdn.org/top_teams.php)

NeoGen
02-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the Forums OtherworldBob! :D

We have really gone off to a great start on BBC. I really don't have a clue why. I guess AMD is a popular brand. :)

Make yourself "@Home" ;) Any questions or doubts or if you need help, feel free to post. We always help in whatever we can. :)

You might have noticed already that we're currently in more than 40 distributed computing projects, so if you ever get bored with BBC, you got alot to choose from with us!

And do tell us about your machine(s) and the projects you most like. I see BBC is one (you're running it :roll: ) but is it your favorite?

NVM
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
looks like this project has been approved for the Vault. the more crunching, the bigger the head start....

jiggytom
02-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Hello fellas...

I was looking for a team to join, and what other team is more suitable than an AMD team as i run an AMD 3000+ @ 2.2ghz. I am crunching on my free time and sometimes over night. Got about 4 trickles alreayd and will continue to contribute to the team...lets do this!

vaughan
02-21-2006, 05:50 AM
Welcome aboard jiggytom :!: I just got BBC Climate Change Experiment up and running on my Athlon XP2800+ no trickles yet but give it time.

Are you running any other DC projects either BOINC or non-BOINC?

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the Team jiggytom :D

Make yourself at home, and don't hesitate to post if you have any questions. :)

OtherworldBob
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
This is my first dip into distributed computing, so its all a bit new to me.
Though the BBC one is up and running (mostly happily) on my AthlonXP 2400+.

Have a pair of trickles so far, its taking a while, but I'll stick with it.

Do have one problem though.
A few days back, I had a Fortran Error, and my model appeared to die.
A restart of my client got it going again, but it also decided to download a brand new model, which I've attempted to abort. It now says 'Aborted by User' in the 'Status' column, but it hasn't been removed from my 'Tasks' list.
Is it possible to remove it?

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Sometimes selecting the project and clicking on the update button on the boinc manager removes it. Other times it's more stubborn and you may have to close and restart boinc too.
I also had a problem that Boinc downloaded me another BBC workunit and I had to abort it. You should set BBC to not get new work (on the projects tab, select the project and click on the button "No new tasks"), so that it won't download any more workunits until you think you want/need more.

nocturnal1
02-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi, I just joined the team here :D .
This is my first time doing this also, so I hope to donate some CPU power to the cause.
Still have to figure out the program some more. Just started it 30 min ago.

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Another one has joined the cause! :D

Welcome to the Forums nocturnal1! :)
The BBC project is getting a great support from all around the world. Few projects get this much computing power in such short time. Let's hope the climate predictions show us a good future.

In the meantime have a look around our little place here. We are working on over 40 other projects besides BBC, so if you ever wish to try new projects, we're in almost everything out there. From physics, to astronomy, to biology, to anything...

Don't hesitate to post if you got any questions. :)

Have fun!

jiggytom
02-21-2006, 08:25 PM
hey...look at that...we are #2 already :)

This is actually my first time doing a distributed project! I really hope I can pull this all the way through...5 months seems like alot of time but I think its for a good enough cause!

Lets get our machine rolling people...#1 here we come!

markdeacon
02-21-2006, 08:58 PM
hello, new here but i have joined ur team! got 2 amd's running :)

1 amd athlon xp 2800+ and a 3200+ 64

should go down well

just thought i would share it with you

Ototero
02-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Welcome to both of you. You've joined a formidable team. We're starting to go places.

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the Team markdeacon :D

If this is your first try in Distributed Computing, you're in for a ride with the BBC project! :cool:
Post if you got any questions about boinc/distributed computing/AMD/Intel/BBC project/other projects/... basically, whatever! Our small group of users here is always ready to help.

We sure appreciate all the effort everyone is doing! :) The BBC project is gonna give alot of work to everyone. It will be a stress test not just to the machines, but to their owners as well, because staying 4+ months running the same project is something few people have the patience to. (I know I haven't... :roll: I'm time-sharing it with Leiden, Ralph and Pirates at the moment.)

And by the way... any Intel users out there?? If you're feeling discriminated because there's no Intel Users team for you, then don't! We welcome you here in our little place too. :) Intels are also very good processors. (Especially on maths projects!)

jiggytom
02-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Ouch..I just got back from class today...and I noticed i got knocked back to zero percent!!!!!! I was about 50 hours of computing (4 percent) into the project....why did this happen? On the results page it says client error! I don't wanna start from the begining!!!!!

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately that can happen indeed... :-(
It happened once to me too, but I was about 0.5% only, so there was not much harm yet...

The good side of that is that it might help them catch whatever little bugs they still have in their application.
The bad side is that there's no way we can continue the simulation after a crash... we have to start a new one again.

NeoGen
02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
hey...look at that...we are #2 already :)

jiggytom, you are seeing us in #2 with the table sorted by Recent Average Credit (RAC), right?
We usually count our rank by Total Credit, that means all the work we have done so far. By Total Credit we're #3 yet... but climbing! :)

Check our ranks and points in all projects here:
http://stats.amdusers.com/amd_users_position.html

Lagu
02-22-2006, 12:04 AM
To

jiggytom
OtherworldBob
nocturnal1
markdeacom

Very welcome to AMD Users! We are proud to have you all among us both in our forums and for helping us crunsh. Feel free and ask us if you ponder upon anything and we will try to help you.

Lagu :D :thumbleft:

nocturnal1
02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok this is strange, I can't log into my acount on the BBC experiment web page. It says no one registered from my email address :?
But if I click the account button in BOINC Manager it brings me to the climateprediction.net Gateway and my account is all there fine :?

hmm, I dont know what the problem is but I guess the program still working right?

EDIT: ok when i look at the ranks I noticed theres a BBC and non-BBC listing and my name is not on the BBC titled one but is in the other one "no 27 Kevin Areskog"
Im really confused now, did I do somthing wrong??? Are they actually 2 different experiments?? this aint the Sulphur Cycle Experiment is it..lol
Ahh It is, I know where I went wrong now, when I initialy downloaded the program it had a problem connecting to the project and I had to restart the progy. then when I restarted it asked for the URL and I followed the link to climateprediction.net and used that(the wrong) url.. funny

markdeacon
02-22-2006, 03:01 PM
can you do more than one project at once cause i would love to start doing some of the others on this forum

Empty_5oul
02-22-2006, 04:54 PM
you can do more than one project within BOINC.

feel free to add whichever, some have tutorials e.g. rosetta. making them even easier to attach!

NeoGen
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
can you do more than one project at once cause i would love to start doing some of the others on this forum

There's no limits really. :)
The only problem is that the more projects you add, the less resource share each one gets.

But you could do like me, I got an account on almost all boinc projects there are, but I keep them all suspended except for the one or two I crunch for at a given time. Then, when I'm bored, I switch to other projects easily. :)

NeoGen
02-23-2006, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't think it was possible, but so far we've been competing against team United Kingdom for who's got the more members!

We have just hit 70 members in our BBC Team!! :D
Team United Kingdom has a couple more than us still, but I think we can beat them to it soon! :P Keep coming ladies and gentlemen! English or otherwise, AMD or Intel users, you're all welcome to this international Team of ours! :)

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
75 members now its growing faster and faster :)

May i suggest that somehow you can tell all new members about the forum as some may be interested.

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 11:52 PM
We got our rather large banner on the top of the team page at the project, linking to here. And I think that most people that join our team come by here at least once, even if not registering at the forums.

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah i got here on the banner but it doesn't look like its click able. Could add some text to the bottom of it saying forum or something

Strongbow
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I was looking for a team to join and spotted AMDusers, great website btw (which clinched it), so I hope you don't mind but I've dropped my two machines into your group.

So I'd better introduce them...

The first one is called BEAST (!!) and is a Intel P4 chugging at about 5.31/TS so it's more of a beast from Monsters Inc. than from Lord of the Rings :oops:. It was a great PC several years ago so I'm letting it do something useful before it turns to dust (lets hope it lasts it's project).

The other one is a Fujitsu Siemens Celsius V810 two way Opteron 248 which is an awesome box (I would say that as I work for FSC) and is ploughing through a couple of jobs at around 2.14/TS. Not the fastest chip around anymore but it is still putting up a great fight as it is currently the 9th fastest in the BBC Climate Change experiment.

Looking forward to participating in your forums.

BL

Jeff
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice rigs!

I'm glad that you came and checked us out. We've got a pretty good group here. Welcome to the team! If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the forum, or you can PM me.

Jeff

Strongbow
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Cheers Jeff!

Looking forward to chatting (and helping out where I can) with you all!

Ototero
02-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Welcome on board blackheath.

You're already listed in our stats and have a coveted yellow sash as well :D

markdeacon
02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
listed in the stats!

HE IS NUMBER ONE!

NeoGen
02-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the Team blackheat! :D

And way to go with that entrance, straight to number one. :)
But don't relax too much because the guy on top is always everyone's prime target.:P

Strongbow
02-27-2006, 08:09 PM
LOL! ...does that mean no one on this site is going to help me over clock my workstation then???

NeoGen
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Of course we'll help. :) I myself can't get into it as I have almost no knowledge about overclocking, but I'm sure there's people here that are into it.

The irony is that they'll help you now, but will probably make you sweat later (to keep the first place). :lol:

NeoGen
02-28-2006, 05:42 PM
We are just a trickle away to get to 3rd place! :D

NeoGen
03-01-2006, 11:14 AM
We are now effectively in the 3rd place, leaving our previous rank to Free-DC! Great going Team! :D

And we are still growing, with more than 90 members already on the Team. :)

OtherworldBob
03-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I like it!

We're not too far off Team Wales either, but what I want to know is...

Can we convince their leading trickler (http://bbc.cpdn.org/show_user.php?userid=8755) to join us?
Check out his computers =P~

NeoGen
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Mighty computers some people have. :)

But look at these weird AMD's I found while browing through the top computers tables...
http://bbc.cpdn.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=48670 (AMD Engineering Sample)
http://bbc.cpdn.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=100657 (AMD Engineering Sample 00)
http://bbc.cpdn.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=16892 (AMD Processor Model Unknown)
http://bbc.cpdn.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=7639 (Unknown CPU Typ)

I would especially like to know what's an "Engineering Sample", as the later two might just be boinc bugs in recognizing the cpu.

NeoGen
03-01-2006, 07:49 PM
We're not too far off Team Wales either

We just got ahead of them too. We're ranked 2nd!!! :greenjumpers:
:D

mitro
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking that I want to try to get us #1 :) Time to pull the big dog off Predictor... :twisted:

Strongbow
03-02-2006, 06:54 AM
QUOTE : If you are running the BBC version of the experiment and see a message in the Messages tab advising that there is a new version of BOINC (5.3.31 - which I couldn't find anyway!) available... don't download and install it. It is an update for the full version of the BOINC software... the BBC version is a customised version and installing the new one could cause you to lose you current model/progress.

Also, one of my models failed yesterday at 1942 so it automatically downloaded a new one for that processor! :cry: :roll:

3DBULLY
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
:D Just thought i would drop you guy's a quick line to say that i have joined your climate prediction group today!

Would like to know how to put the climate stat's into my sig.
Need some advice on how to do this!

NeoGen
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the Team 3DBULLY! :D

The BBC climate project is really going strong, and we're pressing hard on it to keep in the top ranks. We need all the help we can get. :)
There are several sites that give you sigs with boinc stats. I use the mundayweb one.
http://www.boinc.mundayweb.com/

You register at it, and then you have options to choose what projects you're on, and it'll ask you for your account key, or you can enter your name and it'll search for you. Then you can customize the colors and stuff and to show it on the sig, just get the BB code that the site provides for your account and put it on the sig space in your account here in the forums.
And it's done. If you get into many projects like me, the sig will get ridiculously long, so I for example only show a part of the projects I'm in. It can be configured also in mundayweb's site.

Don't hesitate to post if you got any doubts. We're always here to help :)

3DBULLY
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Cheers NeoGen for the info on how to display the stat's via my sig.

I hope i won't need anynore help! :?

Thank's in advance.

markdeacon
03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
QUOTE : If you are running the BBC version of the experiment and see a message in the Messages tab advising that there is a new version of BOINC (5.3.31 - which I couldn't find anyway!) available... don't download and install it. It is an update for the full version of the BOINC software... the BBC version is a customised version and installing the new one could cause you to lose you current model/progress.

Also, one of my models failed yesterday at 1942 so it automatically downloaded a new one for that processor! :cry: :roll:

gutted! 1942! mine is 1927 coming up to 1928 lol! ur way ahead of me lol

OtherworldBob
03-04-2006, 05:48 PM
You're not doing too bad yourself.
My aging AthlonXP 2400+ is chugging away at 3.61s/TS, has managed 5.5 model years, but clocks in at 140hours CPU time.

I've got a long way to go. :arrow:

markdeacon
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
im halfway through 1928 with 140hours work time and my other amd pc is steaming along at the start of 1928 with 100 hours work time :)

Jeff
03-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Man this thing takes forever. If you don't finish the work, do you lose all the points that you gained?

NVM
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
i know in the regular version of CP you will lose your trickles if the WU is not finished.

Strongbow
03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Just noticed that I have some worthy challengers to my title...

RoyP, Mitro & Bozo are now coming up fast. :shock:

Best squeeze what performance I have left in this old boy by disconnecting my mouse! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NeoGen
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Best squeeze what performance I have left in this old boy by disconnecting my mouse! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the keyboard and monitor too :lol:

Strongbow
03-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Where's this guy when I need him...
http://www.spaceref.co.jp/astrostore/uchutv/news/images/050721scotti-1.jpg

NeoGen
03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Scotty, beam me up! No, wait, cancel that order. Just redirect all main and auxiliary power over to the cpus! :lol:

mitro
03-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Just noticed that I have some worthy challengers to my title...

RoyP, Mitro & Bozo are now coming up fast. :shock:

I shouldn't be much of a threat. I'm only going to have one computer on the project. (I started with 2). Your P4 should give you enough output to stay ahead of me. :)

Strongbow
03-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I've been toppled already by RoyP on the average credit rating and he'll probably beat me on total credit in the next few days as well! That didn't last long did it! :P

It's good to see that a load of us are now storming along though!

We're currently well and truly ranked 3rd as a team but could do with some more umphh to get us to #2

NeoGen
03-11-2006, 04:02 AM
blackheath, your 1st rank is secured for now.
RoyP left us for UK Boinc Team. :-(

Strongbow
03-30-2006, 06:46 AM
NeoGen once said "...don't relax too much because the guy on top is always everyone's prime target."

How right he was! :cry:

I'm getting surrounded! Bozo is already above me on average credits but is about to overtake me on total credits and DMMc, Bill Brasky & dfm are catching up with me so fast that I had to check my PC to see if it was still on!!!

spikey_richie
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Just added this project on 2 of my PCs :D

Frederic Brillouet
04-09-2006, 08:41 AM
My little athlon 64 3000+ is giving everything it has. The project's running 24/7 and my father's wondering wether he'd kill me, or just let me pay when he gets the electricity bill :D

NeoGen
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I think one machine doesn't increase that much on the bill... but if you had several, it would be a different story. :roll:

blackheat... I think today was the day you were detroned (is the spelling right?)
All hail Bozo, the new leader on BBC Climate Prediction! :P

Lagu
04-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I think one machine doesn't increase that much on the bill... but if you had several, it would be a different story. :roll:

blackheat... I think today was the day you were detroned (is the spelling right?)
All hail Bozo, the new leader on BBC Climate Prediction! :P

Regarding my English-Swedish - Swedish-English wordbook is the right spelling dethrone or dethronised.

Lagu :D

Steve Lux
04-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Dethroned

Strongbow
04-09-2006, 02:25 PM
To Bozo...

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'll have to wait for my new machine to be delivered before I can be his worthy challenger as he is storming along at the moment. =D< :-({|=

Strongbow
04-12-2006, 06:05 PM
The battle has started!!! ...I haven't got my new machine yet but I have plugged in a laptop I'm not using (LOL :oops: ). It seems to be helping me though as my average is climbing every day!

I'm nipping at their toes!!!

Dee
04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Go Blackheath! :givemea:
I'm clinging on at no 20! :oops: [/img]

Strongbow
04-12-2006, 06:44 PM
and now I have a cheer leader backing me! Woo Hoo! ...I can't lose! :D

Cheers Dee!

EDIT! hang on Dee, you're #19 today!!! WOO HOO! Go Dee Go!!! \:D/

Frederic Brillouet
04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Nice crunching Dee. I hope i can get into the twenties as well, though i don't know wether my machine is good enough.

Dee
04-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Hang on a minute guys...I thought crunching meant biscuits! :oops: :lol:
It still looks like twenty to me...I definitely need some go-faster stripes!

Strongbow
04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
You're 18th today!!! ...Dee's on a mission! :D

NeoGen
04-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Blackheat, you got back to 1st place! :D And you weren't telling us about it?? :P

You better watch DMMc now, as he is coming up your way and fast. (Top RAC on the Team :shock: )