PDA

View Full Version : Media Center PC

drezha
02-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Getting a new cruncher second hand...Was looking to make it a media center as well..

It's a..
Mobo is a Soltek 75MIV2-L.
http://www.soltek.de/soltek/product/...%2FSL-75MIV2-L
CPU is Duron 1800, cpu-z reports it's Applebred core. The CPU cooler isn't silent but pretty quiet still.
PSU is Zoostorm CMS-600HP 300W low noise model
Samsung 4.3 GB HD
Crucial Ballastix PC3200 512MB CL2. Note at default clocks the mobo only works at up to DDR333

Was wondering what else I would need to turn it into a media center? Was gonna up the Hard drive :roll:
Am I gonna need a GFX card? I mean there's a bunch cheap on eBay as it needs a AGP card. :D
Want it for TV out as well. as music...so a decent sound card to put in and a use the AGP card as TV?

Not set a media center up before so really dont know what I need.. :?

Cheers in advance for any help :)

vaughan
02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
I have never set one up but I have read that you require a quiet system so that it doesn't disturb you when it is running in your loungeroom.

I have a Shuttle SB61G2 running a P4 3.2 Prescott which is on 24/7 crunching Seventeen or Bust and one other DC project (hyperthreading on). It runs hot but the Shuttle box fan is not noisy. Very happy with its performance and highly recommended.

NeoGen
02-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Drezha, the link you posted doesn't work. I was gonna check if the motherboard had sound and/or graphics onboard. If it has then you probably don't need extra sound or graphics card. Most onboard sound chips already support 5.1 surround sound and all that. Is a media center also used for games? I have no idea, never had one, but if yes then I guess you'll have to consider a graphics card indeed.

To get tv signal in and out I think you'll need one of those tv/video cards. Some also include radio reception too. Only brand that comes to my mind is Pinnacle, but I'm sure there are more.

drezha
02-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Link should be http://www.soltek.de/soltek/product/products_all.php?isbn_st=SL-75MIV2%2FSL-75MIV2-L

No it probably wont be used for games..but it will be on DC.
Is the LAN card to slow? I mean, if we wanted to share folders from upstairs in the house (will be in a student flat) so can reckon it will be fast enough to share music from our PC's upstairs to the machine to play? Will be a wired cable...

Cheers for the help so far :)

AMD-USR_JL
02-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Drezha, i too have a media center pc, kind of. It doesn't have the windows media center pc os but it is hooked up to my tv. It was only about $20 US to do it too. All you need is a S-video cable to go from your pc to your tv. If your tv doesn't have S-video capabilities, i dunno how you would do it, but i think most ones from 2000-now have it. Then all you need is something called an f-jack i think. Can't remember what it was exactly called but you need it to convert the digital sound to analog stereo so your tv can play it. All i could find was a mono one :cry: . I have to listen with one speaker until i can find a stereo one.