vaughan
02-18-2006, 06:19 AM
New BOINC project initiated by NeoGen.

Website is here:

https://fwnc7003.leidenuniv.nl/Classical/

AMD Users Team created!
http://fwnc7003.leidenuniv.nl/Classical/team_display.php?teamid=33

Workunits are small and fast to crunch. Neogen says:
One took about 10 mins, and the other is on 12 mins and still about 40%.

Personally, I had one complete in less than 2 minutes on an XP3200+.

The graphics are pretty simple. It's a wireframe cube, with some molecules inside doing something... don't know what.... they appear to just be vibrating.

NeoGen
02-18-2006, 09:40 AM
:lol:
Those were really the first few things I told you when I found that project. :P

Now, after a bit of study I can say that this is a project similar to uFluids, it studies the forces and interactions at molecular scale.
The application does not yet support suspending/resuming, but the workunits are very small, ranging from 2 to 30 minutes on an XP2000+, so it isn't really much of a problem.

The graphics is just what was said there, a wireframe cube delimiting the space where the molecules can wander about, and the molecules themselves interacting with each others.

An interesting twist on this project is that you can make up your own workunits, with your desired parameters and send them to the server to be crunched. (By you and/or someone else). Unless you really study the input format, and the dynamics and all that is related, what happens often is that the workunits end up being badly configured and fail. But there are some example workunits already on the site if you want to tinker with it. You can take one of those and make small changes to it for example.

I've noticed that sometimes there's lack of workunits. Don't worry about that. It's just that right now there are quite a few problems with the application and the developer has to study the results to find and correct the bugs. Leiden is an alpha or beta project yet (don't know which), so it's still in a sensible phase.

Have fun you all! :)

NeoGen
02-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Hmm... Vaughan, just spotted a minor thing on the forums, maybe you can correct it when you have some time free time later or another day. The project name is Leiden Classical

AMD-USR_JL
02-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I think i have figured out the different wu times.
The wus that start with one are very short
The wus that start with seven are also short
The wus that start with eight take about 16-20mins.
If i see any other wus i will give you the lengths on them too.
By the way why does my name appear as owner? I tried to create another account as AMD-USR_JL, but it told me that name was in use.

NeoGen
02-18-2006, 09:30 PM
The workunits do seem to have that pattern... I'm seeing from the ones I'm crunching that the 1xxx take me 2 mins, the 7xxx take 10 mins, and the 9xxx take 30 minutes. It's always around that, give or take a minute.

And you appear as AMD-USR_JL now. I do remember having seen a "Owner" there not long ago. Didn't that also happen in RALPH@Home?

AMD-USR_JL
02-18-2006, 10:29 PM
It might have, i must be attachin wrong or something, but at least it is right now :D

vaughan
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Hmm... Vaughan, just spotted a minor thing on the forums, maybe you can correct it when you have some time free time later or another day. The project name is Leiden Classical

Fixed :thumbleft:

NeoGen
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Lots of improvements on the project! :D

20 feb 2006
Code update(s) done. As of today the Classical application has support for checkpointing and an input check is perfomed on the user input before the job is submitted. Furthermore the statistics are now fully exported each day and lot's of other fixes. The code should now also produce the same results on different types / flavours of CPU's, but that still remains a tricky buisness and still needs to be tested thouroughly ;-)