PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of us getting top?

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi, any one here think they could get us to the top of the list? I'm doing my bit lets see a few more people running other projects come over here and do the climate prediction

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 10:53 PM
We keep getting new members everyday on BBC. :)
Now that I check it our team has 75 members! We are the second largest team, only team United Kingdom has more members than us (82).

As all these new users start getting on the project, we'll slowly increase our Team output.

The difference from us to the teams above us is that we're a large mass of "small" users. None of us is even in the top 100 participants. I guess each of us individually doesn't produce much, but all of us together we strike a powerful blow!

And that is why I love to be on this team! :D

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 10:55 PM
cant the hardcore guys on this forum with like 26 billion computers start this project and then we go mental in front of united kingdom!

I chose this team over my own country lol. My love for AMD lol

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
The "hardcore guys" of our Team can be counted by the fingers most likely... and their computers as well. lol :roll:
Anyways, one "hardcore guy" could be our Admin Vaughan, who has something between 10-15 machines I think. But he uses them to maintain the ballance of our team across the dozens of projects we run.
We usually find a new favorite project every few weeks and many members migrate to it temporarily. Vaughan makes sure we don't lose ranks all across the rest of the board by crunching the more needy projects. :)

Other "hardcore guys" will hopefully see this thread and leave a post and/or join BBC. We just have to wait for the replies now.

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I chose this team over my own country lol. My love for AMD lol

That makes 2 of us. ;)

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 11:08 PM
:) the BBC project is probably one of the best projects for the team to win on.

Chances are noob's like me will join cause they like amd and want to be on a winning team. Then drop by the forums and start working on other projects.

So hardcore guys start going mental on this one for the good of the team lol.

I don't know how to get hold of the data but I'm guessing that this project attracts the most new members of the team because it did me. I am now likely to start doing other projects when i get fed up with this one.

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 11:19 PM
This project had a huge media coverage all over the world. It was even featured on TV, which is very very rare for any distributed computing project. That helped bring alot of new people into this hobby/sport. (hobby to those who are not very interested in stats, sport to those who compete against each others for the top ranks) :)

With boinc you can even run several projects at the same time, you know? You can try some other boinc project a little while you keep working for BBC. The only thing is that your cpu power is divided by the number of projects you run at the same time.
I myself for example have an account on almost all boinc projects out there and run only one or two at each time, leaving all others suspended in the meantime.

markdeacon
02-24-2006, 11:23 PM
i want to focus all my computer power on one project to make a real difference. If you do it bit by bit it will be slow and useless to the cause you are doing it for.

NeoGen
02-24-2006, 11:59 PM
You are right in that. :roll:
But I for example can't stay too long at a project. I just get bored of seeing always the same. I have to be constantly jumping from project to project really.

And then there's also those projects that don't really have an end, so by saying... Seti@Home for example is a project to analyze signals from space to see if we can find proof of existance of intelligent alien lifeforms. That will never end for sure... or not in my lifetime at least! :lol:

EDIT: And it's one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) distributed computing projects that exist!

Frederic Brillouet
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Team Wales' best member has only amd powered computers. He would be first on our team as well. Why the hell can't we convince him to join us?

drezha
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I've found a mix of projects that suits me at the minute. Sure I'll hop around projects...Just because I can hardly ever make my mind or that something on a project changes and forces me away (Rosetta's stuck units for instance...About 30% of my BOINC score was for rosetta..., I now no longer run it anymore)

Steve Lux
04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
A search for "AMD" results in about 25 AMD-related teams (on SETI anyhow). If they would all crunch for this one team we could about double our team capacity.

I took one of my cores off of CPDN and put it back on Predictor to achieve one of my monthly goals. I'll put it back on CPDN after Mitro comes back to Predictor.

Also, I don't know about being a power user, but as of this afternoon BOINC ranks my computer as #12 in the world for a single computer sytem by averaging 624 points a day. Oddly they look at single systems incompletely: If you are using more than one system, any single system you have is disqualified from the list. There are probably thousands of computers out there that would blow mine out of the water, but they seem to be run by the "real" power users who have more than one system listed.

AMD-USR_JL
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I know man. I keep on seeing this AMD Powered@home team. They have a good bit of members and are on a lot of projects. I have been trying to find a website, e-mail, or something on them but i can't. I think it is crazy how there are 25 AMD teams split up. We need to convince some of the others to join/merge.

Great to hear about ur system dude. Now there is another thing AMD Users is #1 at it.

NeoGen
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
We are probably the strongest AMD team of all. :D Maybe not the best at SETI, or at some other projects, but we're widespread across all possible projects so we got some combined power. :)

About convincing other teams to merge with us... that is very difficult, if not even impossible. Teams are communities of people who know each other and like to be within themselves. They wouldn't merge with us just because we also represent AMD. There had to be more than that. There had to be some kind of interaction between both our teams, maybe if we knew and chatted with them on a regular basis and vice-versa, the proposal of merging would be a little more acceptable. But just out of the blue, I think it's impossible that they would accept.

And also, imagine yourself on the team founder's shoes. You had created the team from scratch, watched it grow and develop, feel proud of it when it hit high ranks, and all of a sudden you receive a merging proposal to a stronger team. Would you just leave all the memories and good and bad things you went through in raising your team behind and merge? I think not... :roll:

NeoGen
04-05-2006, 09:36 PM
And about AMD teams... look at MoneyBee's stats:
http://uk.moneybee.net/mitglieder/statistik_teamtop10.asp?sp=50&a=30

We got two AMD teams on scope above us, one to be taken down in a few days, the other one several weeks later, as we're going at a slow pace here. :roll:

Lagu
04-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi

I haven´t run MoneyBee for a while and got surprised how long Ototero and 202life have advanced.

Ototero, are you running Moneybee every day 7 day/week on your computers. I know, if I run MoneyBee i can´t run anything besides. Perhaps Whatpulse and Ready Response. The WU is so CPU intensive.

Lagu :)

AMD-USR_JL
04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Good point there man. Instead of trying to merge "the others", maybe we could just make our team so incredibly awesome that lesser members of "the others" would be drawn to our team's culture. This would also be the same for people looking for an AMD team. I wish boinc gave out the e-mail adresses of people, but i guess then everyone would get spam.

This is going to be a hard task because our team is already incredibly awesome. I think we need to focus on recruiting new members. People who are new to DC'ing that is. Try posting messages on any other boards about DC'ing and AMD Users, maybe we can recruit a few :D

Hey! Did you know this boards appears on the 3rd page of google when searching for AMD? That's SwEEtNeSS! Now we have to work on getting to page 2.

Empty_5oul
04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
our google page rank is now 5/10. And with all your posting (and jeff/vaughans "admin-ing") should become 6/10 soon!

the best way to recruit members is to get our name as high on the stats as possible, possibly not top or just as a mass team as this detracts from us. I know personally when i was looking for a team to join i discounted the first couple as they had too much power. I also discounted a couple as the majority of teams had say 100 members and a few had 500+. Any team beyond the front page of 20 results wasn't active enough for me so these were all eliminated.
AMD Users as a team name sounded good, appealed to me (recently purchasing an AMD) and when i looked at the home page i decided it was definatley the team for me!

A lot of users do switch teams. Some of the stats sites show this, who joins and leaves and where they came from/went to. In the Boinc projects we need to get our RAC within the top 20 so in teams stats we appear on the front page when people are selecting.

NeoGen
04-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I heard that this page is ranked 5/10 on Google... what I don't know is what that fraction means. :P

EDIT: Oops... I was too late :lol:

Steve Lux
04-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Another interesting "how we are doing" statistics page:

http://stats.kwsn.net/team.php?proj=all&teamid=2578&sort_order=expavg_credit&sort_direction=DESC I once thought of joining these guys, being a Monty Python fan, because of their statistics tools and because they are socially active on their boards.

I looked at several teams before joining the AMD Users team. My main consideration was the USA team (being the patriotic sort). They are doing good work, and I hate to see a team with the "USA" name being beat by the French team, but their web site and board leave much to be desired. Distributive computing is as much a social effort as it is a resource contributing methodology. The USA web site http://usa.duane-n-lisa.net/ isn't kept up and is, in my not all that humble opinion, blandly uninteresting.

So here I be.

swhite4784
04-06-2006, 04:47 AM
I focus most of my power on World comm grid ,fight aids portion just because I think I feel the need to cure that bad boy.

vaughan
04-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Trouble is I don't like long running tasks. Even the BOINC QMC tasks are boring me to tears and they are about a day or so to run. BBC and Climate Prediction take too long. They need to learn how to break up the boredom like they do with the SOB project. Crunching for Sierpinski numbers is very slow, especially on Athlon XPs, but at least the Seventeen or Bust application allows you to report intermediate steps in the process. This gives the illusion that you are achieving some progress. In reality the job still takes 7+ days on a fast P4 and around 2 weeks on an XP3200+.

Cannot say how long an A64 3500 takes as Doomeva has sunk it into The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. (www.elderscrolls.com)

/EDIT: Steve that KWSN page is interesting. The way I interpret that means that my contribution to AMD Users team stats is 107th rank in the team? Wow I thought I had a few GHz running on BOINC. WHat the hell do the other 106 of you have? 8 way Opterons running 24/7?

Empty_5oul
04-06-2006, 09:52 AM
vaughan you are there twice

http://stats.kwsn.net/team.php?proj=all&teamid=2578&sort_order=total_credit&sort_direction=DESC

at position 51 and 60. If you can merge these you would jump up the rankings!

vaughan
04-06-2006, 10:03 AM
And now I'm not showing as 107th. Gotta be Boinc'ed to have stats as random as that hey?

Steve Lux
04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
8-way Opterons running 24/7 .... Only in my dreams.

Frederic Brillouet
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I added a new thread on the bbc climate change message board. http://bbc.cpdn.org/forum_thread.php?id=2954&PHPSESSID=0c5a3f8417da8b0c75fcaacc2d3cc263
I hope it will encourage people to join our team, so we can take a chance to get into the top 3 teams. We're already at 4, but number 1 would suit us better, don't you think? :D

Empty_5oul
04-06-2006, 05:59 PM
this is quite interesting. if any of you run VM have you tried this?
http://bbc.cpdn.org/forum_thread.php?id=1934

Beerknurd
04-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Woo Hoo... I'm 42nd!!!! It doesn't include my Predictor or LHC scores though... :evil:

NeoGen
04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
It was a temporary thing. :)
It is yet to be born the virtual machine that will outperform its physical host... :P

acerayl
04-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Yea, I'm number 100 on the Boinic combination stats. I like this group and bring this up in conversation alot. The PC I use to do these projects is my one and only that I leave on with the Projects running when I'm sleeping or at work, and have made some progress with that. I plan on building one just for projects within the next month or two.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
It is yet to be born the virtual machine that will outperform its physical host...

I thought it sounded odd when i read it. I could never understand the timestamps though, mine were so random.