PDA

View Full Version : New Dual Core Opterons are out

NeoGen
03-06-2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543_544~105603,00.html

Warning: Only for people with deep pockets! :P

PcManiac
03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
yeah, at over $2000, you will need REALLY deep pockets...
It will be interesting to see what Intel will produce to try and match it... lol

BlackAdder
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
YOUSA...thats what I'm saving my penneys up for.....damn I wonder if I can get these on a dual cpu motherboard??? If one is good two must be supreme.
Oh well one day............ :D :D :D

Nflight
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I played the lottery, and If I win we all win with this kind of power. I wonder what I could do with a 1,000 of these baby's ? :lol:

Strongbow
03-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Thought you might be interested in hearing that my company this month has just released a new blade for it's BX600 chassis...

This blade can now have up to the following;

8 x AMD Opteron 885 (DC 2.6GHz 2MB)
128GB RAM (16GB dedicated for each processor)
8 x Gig E NICs
4 x HBAs
2 x SATA HDDs (SAS soon)
Optional module which allows 4 more GigE NICs

...and you can have two of these in the 7u chassis and still have room for either a further 4 socket blade or two 2 socket blades!

The clever stuff is that if you have four 2 socket or two 4 socket AMD 800 series blades you can now join them together with an optional HT connection kit to make this 8 socket blade with no latency penalties compared with the new dedicated 8 socket blade.

...it's bit of a monster to say the least!

Nflight
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM
OK I am drooling here, show me what you have got!

I like to dream as well as the rest of my friends here at AMDusers.com show us some awesome computing power!

AMDave
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
You said it Nfllight!

c'mon blackheath. spill the URL.

ed/
I was just looking at the Sun Ultra 40 Workstation.
It just became my new dream desktop.
/ed

Strongbow
03-09-2006, 10:36 AM
:D

We're coming out with loads of new AMD (and a few Intel as well!) servers this year! ...some more innovative ones as well which I will update you when I am allowed!

The BX630 is the blade server I mentioned above

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/standard_servers/blade/primergy_bx_600.html
The website will be updated in the next few days with the Octo blades!

an 8 way Opteron 880 with just 4GB would set you back over EUR30k at list. But if you need that sort of power in a blade then we are the only ones who can do this, also we are the only ones who can connect multiple (AMD only of course due to HT) blades together to scale up capacity.

If you want a low cost but high performance server then we also manufacture the RX220 which is really for HPC, GRID and scale out farms as it only has 1 PSU. But it has an awesome price/performance figure as it was originally designed for HPC distributed systems where they need cheap commodity servers with good I/O and floating point performance.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/standard_servers/rack/primergy_rx220.html
a 1 way Opteron 280 with 4GB RAM and 2 x 80GB SATAs would list at under EUR4000.

Of couse list is way different to what large enterprises pay due to discounts based on quantities etc.

If you want the 'dogs' of a workstation (not homebuilt of course) then you would be hard pushed to currently better this monster...

CELSIUS V830
2 x Opteron DC 285 2.6GHz
4 x 4GB DDR
NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 512MB
2 x U320 15k 73GB HDD

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/deskbound/workstations/celsius_v.html

this spec (which is not the highest config) would come in at around EUR26k list.

Nflight
03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
All I need to do now is find three jobs, work consecutive shifts monday through Friday and sleep on the weekends.
Then I could afford these delicious new treats of fantastic Processing power.

But I am only one person and 8 hours of mind numbing Network Admin is enough, So I will sell my car and walk to work, live in a cave (no rent due), eat berry's and save all my money for my next HPC system.

OK who is with me in this quest ? :shock:

Nflight
03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
ed/
I was just looking at the Sun Ultra 40 Workstation.
It just became my new dream desktop.
/ed

Not to blow you away there AMDDave, but I own a Sun Ultra 30 already, it is not upto working just yet! I have to get a network card for it!

Strongbow
03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I of course would recommend a PRIMEPOWER over a Sun box! ...as we have the following;

7 pipelines
2080 entry instruction TLB
High-throughput internal buses (multiple times faster than Sun's)
Sys Interface at 4.16GB/Sec (compared with only 2.4GB/S with Sun's US IV+)
Out of order execution
non-blocking cache
etc. etc.

Our single core SPARC64 2.16Ghz/4MB is way faster than their fastest dual core USIV+. We are releasing our dual cores later this year and Sun are partnering with us so we will both be using the same technology (still designed by us though).

AMDave
03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
kinda put's the 8-way-SunV900 that they let me play with at work to shame.
Moore's law seems to be out-pacing IT expenditure these days (definitely on a personal level)
Ah well. It still gets the job done for the moment.

Thanks for opening that window for us.

Strongbow
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I think you mean a V890. ;)

AMDave
03-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Oops. I'll check again in the morning.

Strongbow
03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
The press announcement is now out for my 8 socket blade (you heard it at AMDusers first mind you! ;) )

Thanks to Nflight for pointing it out...

Fujitsu readies eight-way blade server

By Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

The four-blade machine will use AMD's 2.6Ghz processors and is aimed at the top of the market

Fujitsu will begin selling technology next quarter that lets four dual-processor blade servers be linked into a single machine with eight AMD Opteron chips.

The new option, available in April or May, will be available with AMD's latest 2.6 GHz dual-core processors, said Richard McCormack, senior vice president of marketing for Fujitsu's US subsidiary, Fujitsu Computer Systems. The company announced the product in conjunction with the CeBit trade show in Germany.

The eight-way server is at the high end of the x86 server spectrum — especially given that AMD's dual-core chips have two processing engines apiece. IBM sells a 32-Xeon machine, the x460, and Sun plans an eight-processor Opteron server this year, but HP and Dell top out at four processors.

You can read more at http://uk.news.yahoo.com/060314/152/g6ehe.html[/url]

AMDave
03-15-2006, 11:12 AM
I think you mean a V890. ;)

Oh my! That would have been nice.
8 x sparcv9 @ 900 Mhz under SunOS 5.4

This is why I love Linux & Solaris 10 so much.