PDA

View Full Version : Made in America?

Lagu
03-09-2006, 04:31 PM
WHO'S TO BLAME?

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN)
for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with
his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI
LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA)
he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could
spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN
INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a
good paying JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to
relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself
a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA),
and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job.....

That is true, should we lose our works in the future? What do you guys think?

Lagu :shock: ;)

PcManiac
03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
That is pretty interesting... let me see what I can find that is made in the USA... my mouse is made in Mexico, darnit! my RAZR is made in China! (after a quick search around my room, I still can't find anything made "locally" :P ) wow... :shock:

NeoGen
03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Probably only one self can say that was actually "MADE IN USA" :lol:
(Or the respective country where you're born ;))

Lagu
03-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi

My wireless mouse is made in KINA, the keyboard is made in KINA, my modem and router are made in KINA and my razor is made in GERMANY.

Lagu :eek: :)

Nflight
03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
This is something I try to impress on a lot of my friends, I drive an american car and desire more often to purchase American goods even if they are higher in cost. Why because I am an american, and I support the people I live beside by purchasing there goods.
Sure I can't find everything made in America, but I find that most things come from the USA.
My Tools are made here, my phone was made here, when it broke I could not find one that was made here, darn.

Its too bad we Americans are more service oriented in nature then product oriented, we would not have such a high deficit with the rest of this world if we would just buy American.

Thanks Lagu :cry:

Steve Lux
03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't call it "Wal-Mart" any more, I call it "Commie-Mart", after all most of what they sell is made in China, which is still a communist country. If there were a store that sold only American manufactured products, and they had eSales I would support them, even with the +20% costs associated with labor. Living here in the South (South Carolina - USA) we don't tend to be fond of Unions, but I'd even buy Union-made as long as it was Americans doing the making and not some wetback sweatshop.

cicide
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Mouse: China
Keyboard: Thailand
Monitors: China & Mexico
Calculator: HP (MADE IN AMERICA!)
Handheld GPS: America
Vehicle: At least 80% made in america

But I agree, I definately own much more not made in america over stuff made here...

BlackAdder
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I try to buy American whenever I can...that said the only motorcycle I would ever own again is a Kawasaki.I hate WalMart .....yea commie mart is right, after starting out in business advertising they sell American made goods they really sold us out. It is big business in reality who sold the American worker out...they got rid of us in favor of the more profitable Chinese and other Asian factories, so the corporation can earn more profit's from the reduction of labor cost's. I think it is only going to get worse............ :cry:

Ototero
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I suspect most of the innards of our computers were made outside the USA. Mostly the far east I'd guess.

I never buy french apples, but apart from that I don't care.

NeoGen
03-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I try to buy American whenever I can...that said the only motorcycle I would ever own again is a Kawasaki.

To a total outsider like me, the word "kawasaki" sounds japanese. :P

But if am I allowed a question... what is more important? Made (manufactured) in America, or created in America (as in the original idea being patented by an american, but the object later be produced in factories elsewhere)

BlackAdder
03-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Why Kawasaki is Japanese of course......I rode and drag raced motorcycles for 20 some years. My first two bikes were Harley's, everything else were Kawasaki 750 H2's... I love the two stroke sound,and by the way I won three drag racing track championships on my H2. It averaged 6.2 seconds on a 1/8 mile track and 9.9 seconds on a quarter mile.It was great fun and I miss it BAD........oh well they were the days !!! :D :D

BlackAdder
03-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Hummm...sorry NeoGen...to me besides from buying motorcycles ... being made in America is more important as it puts americans to work....buying all american products is something I like to do but I don't stress out over it. I do however hate buying Chinese made products with a passion..... :mad:

Strongbow
03-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Apple "designed in California" - by an Englishman! LOL :lol:

Frederic Brillouet
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
take my case guys: try to find something that's made in belgium (except for me :D ) yeah one thing: gillet vertigo = sports car purely made in belgium, though i haven't seen one in real life yet

Nflight
04-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Gillet Vertigo : http://www.gilletvertigo.com/

Weird looking, but I bet it is fast if they took the comma out of the equation in seconds to 100kph and put in a period.

NeoGen
04-10-2006, 01:30 AM
The comma instead of period for decimals is european (or maybe some countries only?) numbering notation. My Windows also does that as I have set the regional settings for Portuguese.

ahab3333
04-10-2006, 04:06 AM
you forget that most of the products we buy are researched and developed in the USA and just manufactured some where else. you can also say that most of the drugs and cleaning supplies are made in the USA.

Frederic Brillouet
04-11-2006, 05:52 AM
tsss you guys with your periods. Why do you have to be different from anyone else? ;)

dAVE
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
If you live in Belgium then you can always eat Belgian chocolates, even if there is nothing else to do!

PcManiac
04-22-2006, 12:48 AM
mmmmm chocolate! you are making me drool now Dave! haha

Frederic Brillouet
04-22-2006, 06:35 AM
chocolate, that's a good idea. It's so common that I forget we Belgians have the best :D

Strongbow
04-22-2006, 10:02 AM
You make just 1 or 2 beers as well don't you! ...well maybe a few more than that! ;)

I remember starting a few drinking challenges in Belgium bars. 'I wonder how many different glasses I can try. ...obviously I never remember much after having a Kwak (very silly Glass) then quickly followed by a Duvel (an old time favourite of mine!). You Belgium's are dangerous!!! :oops: :lol:

Frederic Brillouet
04-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I had quite a bad evening after a few duvels as well. The worst evening was when i drank about half a bottle of apple-jenever (is that a good word?) 2 9% special beers and 3 or 4 normal (5%) beers. Obviously i didn't remember much about that evening, but i do remember what i saw when i woke up ! :shock:

So nothing to be ashamed of Blackheath :D