PDA

View Full Version : Basic Help

drezha
03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Thinking of running this one on my old P2 laptop (currently running Seventeen or Bust second passes)

Well I have a couple of questions on this.

A) Which one is best to run on a P2? Seiving or LLR?
B) The PC may not be able to be internet connected 24/7 soon so is it better to have the LLR because you can cache or the seiving because I canput the files onto disck and upload on another PC (I'll have web access, just not 24/7 for this one)
C) Can any of them be run be downloading on one machine, then transferring to another machine? It briefly looks like it's possible but is it? (This means I'd be able to crunch as well whilst doing uni computer labs)

Think thats about it at the minute :)
If I get this one working, might join AMD Users rather than crunching it for Team Phoenix Rising as we dont have a team... :D (Majority seem unintrested in Maths projects and most love the BOINC system)

NeoGen
03-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, for I haven't really tried this project, but my idea is that for older machines it's best Sieving.

For B and C, they're both possible on PSP Sieve, because it's a manual process, but I don't know exactly how Riesel Sieve works.

drezha
03-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Do they both not use the same program to do the work hence shouldn't they both be able to work the same?

Lagu
03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi

If you run D2OL yuo can download 2000 work units and let your computer run over a mouth.

I have a P2, 350 MHz, 128 MB Ram and is running MoneyBee but this project use 7/24 connestions.

What is the spec of your computer?

Lagu :)

bryanRS
03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
drezha,

A) Since we don't run into a lot of P2's over at Riesel Sieve, I'm not sure off the top of my head - but I think the idea of "if it's older, do sieve" is fairly correct.

B) This is personal choice, as both can be done without an internet connection. What the difference is would be how you "sneakernet" the client, how long between each upload would be, etc. LLR has a time limit of 21 days (first-pass) and 7 days (second-pass). Sieve has approximately a 45-day limit for reservations.

C) Yes, you can upload/download the work units from another PC. The easiest thing would be to do this on a USB drive, as you could start the client (copy the folder over each time from the USB drive to the P2, so that you don't have to have the USB drive in all the time). Sieve is the same way, only you don't need the active client to upload the results.

I know I probably didn't answer as many questions as I started, but yes, it is possible to sneakernet. If you'd like specific instructions once you decide which part to run, feel free to come back to the irc channel (I see you had stopped in earlier today) or post over at our forums, http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/ . The best times for IRC are about 21:00-07:00 GMT, since most of us are from the eastern US.

Bryan
Stats Administrator
Riesel Sieve Project

drezha
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I dislike D2OL. I used to run it. I gave up before the statistics were killed or what have you because someone was cheating.

My laptop spec is here on my site. (http://www.drezha.net/files/cpuzlaptop.htm)

Cheers for that Bryan :)

Lagu
03-10-2006, 08:48 PM
It is strange you could run SOB on that computer. I´ve never tried that on my PII. I tough it should takes weeks to complete a task.

Lagu ;)

drezha
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Running SOB Second passes...It would takes weeks to complete.but at least 4x faster than a normal unit. Had been running one unit for a week and had nearly done 10% :shock: :lol:

At least with this one I can set work unit size myself really :)

Many thanks Bryan. Looks like it's up and running :)