PDA

View Full Version : New BOINC project - HashClash

NeoGen
03-12-2006, 06:20 PM
New project people!! :D
Is this month being awesome or what?? :)

http://boinc.banaan.org/hashclash/

HashClash is a project that is studying the MD5 algorithm security and through some trial testings, it is trying to find out if there's a fast way to generate an MD5 collision. An MD5 collision is when two different messages share the same hash cypher. That is almost impossible, but has been proven to happen in the past. The problem is that it wasn't easy to reproduce (Thankfully!!). Here's a more in-depth explanation of how these things work...
http://boinc.banaan.org/hashclash/hashclash.php

How to join
Fire up the attach to project wizard and use the above given link to the project. Alternately, you can also create an account here (http://boinc.banaan.org/hashclash/create_account_form.php)
In any case, after creating an account, come by our Team and join us :)
http://boinc.banaan.org/hashclash/team_display.php?teamid=4

Running HashClash
The HashClash workunits are extremely small. (And don't have graphics) They only take between 5 and 15 minutes on an AthlonXP 2000+. This makes them very well suited for any older machines you got laying around. In fact it is encouraged that you run it in an older machine, and I'll tell you why...
ATTENTION! - The current HashClash server is of low capacity. (PIII 500MHz) Try not to overload it, or the project might crash and then there's no project for anyone. Try not to let boinc be constantly communicating up and down with the project. It is best to take work in batches and send back the results in the same way.

Final note
I have to confess that I found out this project for a little while already, and I notified our admins about it. I only didn't talk about it earlier because I got in contact with the project admin, Marc, and he told me about the project server and asked that if it was possible to keep it quiet a while more. The project admins stated that the first phase of the project is almost finished, and then there will be a pause, in which they're thinking of upgrading the server. So, it would be ideal that the project didn't crash until then. This goes not just for us, but for all teams out there.

So, basically, try to go easy on it, ok guys? ;)
Have fun! :D

NeoGen
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh no... It happened sooner than I thought :-(

NeoGen
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
It's back up again, but judging by the front page graphs, it may have lost a couple of thousand results because of the crash...

Oh well... more work to crunch... :roll:

EDIT: And to solve the problem of the onslaught of users... account creation has been disabled! :evil:

gamer007
03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I think it's best to keep it disabled for a while. What they need are better servers to handle more people.

gamer007
03-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Almost beating vaughan. This will be the 1st time ever I take 1st on the team in the project. *sniff* I gotta screenshoot it for memories. :P

vaughan
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Go for it gamer007. I only have the Dell P3-750 laptop running it and it is split doing Hashclash and Leiden Classical. Got it bogged down for the next 8 hours crunching 1 :!: Sztaki workunit.

Running Crunch3r's optimized Boinc client on this powerhouse (not) :P almost doubled the CPU benchmarks.

Brucifer
03-13-2006, 04:11 AM
new accounts are disabled.

NeoGen
03-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Account creation is enabled again, but maybe not for long!

If you wanna have a shot at it.... GO! GO! GO!!! :cool:

http://boinc.banaan.org/hashclash/create_account_form.php

Brucifer
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I got the new account but no email with account key. I tried the boinc_cmd --lookup_account URL email password, but it wouldn't let me connect. So much for that effort for the time being.

NeoGen
03-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I think you can use just the email and password to attach to it. But I don't know how it is with the command line boinc, I always use the manager.

gamer007
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm done my list of WUs from other projects. Will be working exclusively on this one for a while. I want to guarantee 1st place on the team. ;)

PS: Don't forget this goes on the newsletter. :P

EDIT: lol, my BOINC crashed with an "Unhandled Exception" error or something like that when I tried to get work from HashClash. :lol: First time BOINC crashed like that. Maybe I shouldn't have put in 10 days in cache, and asked for 100's of WUs.

I got all my WUs downloaded. Everythings fine so far, didn't break the project. ;)

NeoGen
03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Since they haven't upgraded the server yet I'm pretty sure their work generator is not being able to keep up with the demand of the so many people that have joined.

NeoGen
03-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Well... I said it wouldn't last long...

Account creation is once more disabled.

vaughan
03-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Almost beating vaughan. This will be the 1st time ever I take 1st on the team in the project. *sniff* I gotta screenshoot it for memories. :P

Come on gamer ... I powering ahead of you again. Get a move on lad. :) :thumbleft:

gamer007
03-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Slow down! I only have one computer. You have..... a corporate office full! :P :evil:

If I didn't reinstall BOINC v5.2.13 and reattached to all my projects, I probably would be ahead of you. Just.. slow down! :P

vaughan
03-16-2006, 02:39 AM
[quote="gamer007"]Slow down! I only have one computer. You have..... a corporate office full! :P :evil:
/quote]

Not really ... just my home office.

Time to answer the gauntlet in MalariaControl.net now so you can rally :D

NeoGen
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Account creation open again.
The project admins are monitoring the load on the server and letting accounts come in slowly.

Really small workunits people. Older machines that you may have there in the attic piling dust are really good for it. Give them a chance. ;)

gamer007
03-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Slow down vaughan.. them moment I reached 1000, you are like 200pts ahead of me again! :P

Get crunching on your Malaria project so I can take 1st and hopefully keep it for a while. ;)

gamer007
03-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Just when I thought I had it, we are so close!

vaughan: 1,191.09
Me: 1,184.79

I'm gonna make it! :D I gotta keep running this to keep my 1st place. :twisted:

Lagu
03-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi Gamer007

Never fate Vaughan in DC´ing. He is to shrewd after all year of experience. He seems to slacken but appearances are deceptive. You kan be sure he will be back as no 1 :lol:

Lagu :)

gamer007
03-17-2006, 10:34 PM
I'be taken 1st place for the first time. Now to see how long I can keep it. :twisted:

EDIT: Great competition! We are neck-to-neck. Bad timing though, it's the weekend and such so I'll probably be on the computer more playing games and such. Then the weekdays, with school and as such I'll have my comp on crunching hashclash constantly. :P