PDA

View Full Version : TYAN's new Typhoon PSC

Strongbow
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
2006 is starting to look good already...

"Based on proven clustering technology, the Typhoon Personal Super Computer (PSC) heralds a new age of supercomputing as never before possible. Using a 4-node clustered design in a sleek, compact enclosure, the Typhoon PSC offers customers the power of a super computer right in their office. No louder than a desktop, the noise output of the Typhoon PSC is no more than 45dB. Imagine the possibilities as everything from wave simulations to numerical computing applications is processed right next to your desk-side. The Typhoon PSC offers all of these features and more!"

Check out the specs of this bad boy...
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/typhoon_b2881.html

NeoGen
03-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Memory
• (8) 184-pin 2.5V DDR DIMM sockets each node
Up to 64GB of reg., ECC DDR 400/333 memory
• Supports ChipKill technology
Is this actually good? Because the name doesn't sound like it... :lol:

PcManiac
03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I could see one of those on my desk...maybe 2, it isn't that big!

I can't find any prices, but I have a funny feeling that they would be above and beyond my student budget.... :mad:

Strongbow
03-15-2006, 07:38 AM
"ChipKill" - it doesn't sound good does it but if you're using large amounts of memory in a server then a faulty DIMM would bring the whole lot down without this.

Basically Chipkill memory design has got it's own dedicated chipkill processor on the main board which just calculates the bit-distribution: the controller allocates bits on different memory chips. If a memory chip fails, you just lose one bit, which can be corrected by ECC.

If you're using servers with large amounts of memory (roughly 16GB and above) then I would recommend this feature.

If you look at memory resilience closely then you really do see the importance of memory protection mechanisms, for example;

ECC has a typical availability of 99.989% (57.15 mins/year)
ECC + Chipkill has 99.999% (0.39 mins/year)
ECC + Chipkill + hot-spare has 99.999,998% (0.012mins/year)
ECC + Chipkill + hot-spare + Mem mirroring has 99.999,999,999% (0.00005 mins/year)

The last one I would strongly recommend when you have servers with around 256GB - 2TB (or more) of memory as the chances of chip failure are obviously higher. Obviously with chip mirroring then you half the total amount of accessible memory. ...and before you say it, yes I do have servers that can handle 2TB of memory, although it is currently only available for our large Itanium 'mainframe class' platforms.

Strongbow
03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I've just been reading some of my own threads!

Will someone just slap me if I'm starting to sound like a salesman!!! :roll:

AMDave
03-15-2006, 09:03 AM
No way, I'm getting off on all that lingo and the specs :lol: :lol: :lol:
just j/k.

I get it.
You have a terrific job and enjoy your work.
No-one can blame you for that!
Now, jealousy on the other hand....:lol: :D

It's seriously refreshing to see some of this new tech coming through. If you have reservations about the content of a post, perhaps you might consider submitting some as News Articles ?
(see bottom of front page)
We do read them :D and add to them when we can.

BTW - that invitation is open to all our members.
The forum is what we members make it.
Give it a bash kids!

Strongbow
03-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Did I tell you about the company I worked for? :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol:

We're releasing loads of innovative stuff, especially around AMD, this year so I'll make a point of submitting it under the news section!

Nflight
03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually I don't think you ever actually mentioned where you work, but where ever it is you have my full attention. Now if there was just someway I could be notified when you post anywhere on this forum that would really make my day. For it is your posts I crave for the knowledge you have about forth coming technological advancements. The future seems to lie in your realm of productivity. The job you have makes you very proud to tell the rest of us.

Please for the love of GOD don't S T O P what ever you do, you have me on the edge of my chair waiting for your next post. Waiting with baited breath of anticipation of the next greatest item I can't afford but I can damn sure dream about, what if. What do you think there fellow team mates?

:hello1: :notworthy:

Ototero
03-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Spot on Nflight, A little insider knowledge is always welcome.

Wonder when we can buy our first quantum computer. They are already running crypto algorythms in the labs.

Strongbow
03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
nice words! thanks :D

Thought you might like this Ototero...

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~westside/dilbert.gif

Ototero
03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
:lol: :D