PDA

View Full Version : Search engine

Lagu
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am very happy to announce that new index with a grand total of over 1 billion unique web pages is now LIVE (http://majestic12.kicks-ass.org:8888/)! The search engine is now actually distributed - it runs on 2 servers that search independently, this opens way to support for multiple search servers, thus increasing scalability of the search engine big time :)

I expect some glitches with View Text/Rank when trying results that came from distributed index, I will fix them tomorrow.

If you interested to see the difference between distributed and previous (619 mln) index then you can use the following command in search string: disable:dindex -- this would disable searching of the distributed index.

So far I see very healthy increase in matches, inline with expectations.

Congratulations to everybody - our hard work and patience resulted in what has got to be the first in the world search engine that hit scale of 1 bln pages and this is just start! :)

Thank you guys for your hard work in MJ-12.

Lagu :D

NeoGen
03-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Cool!! :D
:wav:

The 1st billion is always the hardest. Following billions will be a snap. :)
Soon we'll have an alternative to Google! :D

Ototero
03-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm in the search. So is my surname (but only a very small subset).

:cool:

AMDave
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I just searched for myself and got
Error occured:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.
Guess I am too big for the server to handle
Mum always said I'd get too big for my own boots :lol:

Majestic-12
03-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks Lagu - I was about to post here to thank for support of AMD users - your help is much appreciated guys, as you can see I do my best to ensure your contribution actually gets to be put to good use :)

First billion is certainly the hardest - there will be many more added!

AMDave: oops, you run into memory leak - search server leaks memory for every query, I need to fix this ASAP, hope today. :)