PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to BURP

NeoGen
03-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Mar 23, 2006
Another backup will be done monday the 27th of March together with a very large system software upgrade.
During this upgrade the website may become slow or stop responding. If everything goes well another set of tests will be started Tuesday.
Also welcome to the 275 new users who have joined since the EoPA test started!
Here's another chance for us to see Burp in action! :)
And don't forget that account creation is still open. You can register either through the boinc wizard or here:
http://burp.boinc.dk/create_account_form.php?teamid=16

Beerknurd
03-24-2006, 07:33 AM
ok, I signed up. Right now I am running uFluids and Predictor. I will run Burp once I get established in these 2 projects. Then I will do QMC@Home.

uFluids is taking my Dual Core about 9 hours to run 2 WU's. Which of these projects has the shortest work units??

QMC
uFluids
Burp

It takes me a little over an hour to run 2 WU's in Predictor.

NeoGen
03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Burp is unpredicatable... its workunits can take as little as a few minutes to as much as several hours, all in the same render job.

I thought uFluids would be faster nowadays, but I haven't run it in a while. QMC workunits also take quite a bit I think.
Have you considered Leiden Classical? Or widening a bit more the gap between you and Brucifer in SZTAKI. :)

Lagu
03-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi

Beerknurd, watch this link as drezha have found for helping me understand why QMC@Home is so hard to be done:

http://qah.uni-muenster.de/projectinfos2.php

Lagu ;)

Empty_5oul
03-24-2006, 02:45 PM
BURP generally depends on what memory you have aswell as the CPU. I found it using up to around 900meg when rendering. (all WU so far have taken my 3200+ about 10/15minutes)

AMD-USR_JL
03-24-2006, 08:16 PM
When it used that 900 meg was ur system slow and unresponsive? It always does that on mine, I opened the task manager and no cpu was being used so i just suspended burp, does it take a sec to start crunching? The first time it caused a viscious cycle on my pc. I had my ram optimizer set to free ram if it got below 64mb, it just kept trying to free over and over. Maybe that was the problem, guess i should turn the ram freer off next time.

Empty_5oul
03-24-2006, 08:25 PM
my system was actually fine.
Whilst rendering which is exactly what BURP does frame by frame most pressure is on the total RAM to store it all and then process it.

My machine was working as usual for standard operations - just email and browsing.
Just to push my machine and see what would happen i opened a few graphics and applied effects (to 2048x1024px images) and then it was slow. I will proabably just run BURP when i am not at the machine (depending what i am doing).

-- you could always apply the wait 3 minutes of no user input before starting BOINC

NeoGen
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
It was only this last render job that required loads of RAM, all the previous ones I ran didn't have this problem. They must have tried to up the complexity a notch or two and see if the people could cope with it.

And the most amazing is that each workunit is no more than only a part of 1 frame, usually 1/4, or 1/9th of a frame I think. They make something like multi-tile rendering to split each frame in sections and give a piece of frame to each person, because one whole frame at the complexity and resolution level they require would take a day or more in a single computer.

I didn't get to see, but I heard this last test had plenty of semi-transparent (and at the same time) reflective objects, with plenty of light sources to make up for alot of complexity on the scene. This certainly does up the complexity a few notches, because blender is a raytracer renderer, so it has to simulate the precise path of each individual light beam across the whole scene with all the reflexions and refractions and stuff... (and each light source produces probably thousands of individual light beams...)

AMD-USR_JL
03-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Alright, i turned off my ram optimizer. I am going to be ready for the next test on Tuesday. We should be able to stomp the other teams, AMD is the best for rendering frames, that's why gamers go AMD. I remember they tested the AMD dual core and Intel dual core on Adobe premiere and the AMD rendered and encoded the same frames 20mins faster.

NeoGen
03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Now that you mention dual cores... I'd be afraid to use Burp on a dual core, unless you got alot of RAM. Imagine a dual core running the last render job, crunching two workunits at once... each taking some 900 megs of RAM :shock:

Evil-Dragon
03-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm not getting any work units for this project... is it not dishing out work yet?

NeoGen
03-26-2006, 10:54 PM
No, not yet. They're only planning to release some more work on tuesday.

Nflight
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I just tried to join and it quoted me as saying the project is down!

Patience, I know one of my lacking qualities...

I want it now damn it... I can't wait any longer.... Is it time yet ? :mad:

NeoGen
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I usually do the registrations always on-site, and never through boinc. Too many problems still arise through it....
If a project scheduler is down or something, boinc spits out an error on account creation, detaches, and sometimes the account is created, other times not... Then it is a matter of using the "get account key by email" funtion (http://burp.boinc.dk/get_passwd.php) to verify if the account was created or not.

Here's the link on-site for account creation directly into our team :)
http://burp.boinc.dk/create_account_form.php?teamid=16

Empty_5oul
03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
there should be work tomorrow (hopefully)

even then there is a 100WU max quota per day as it is still an alpha project.

Nflight
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I checked three times today, after registering with our team I am finding no connection possible.
Anyone else able to access WU's ?

NeoGen
03-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm having the same problem... can't even reach the site in IE.

Something big must be coming up real soon... :D

Nflight
03-29-2006, 12:19 PM
I am not able to get acknowledgement, or able to log onto the project.

Now it says it is down for maintenance. At least it says something!

Empty_5oul
03-29-2006, 03:12 PM
its back. the site is live again.

WU should be released soon, or a new message added with any progress (or problems!)

Nflight
03-30-2006, 10:32 AM
It is now Thursday, and I am still unable to connect!

Anyone get any work units yet?

This tells me there offline: http://burp.boinc.dk/status.php

Which displayed without going there says:
Server status page
Program Host Status
Data-driven web pages gandalf Running
Scheduler gandalf Not running
feeder localhost Not running
file_deleter localhost Not running
transitioner localhost Not running
sample_trivial_validator localhos Not running
burp_assimilator localhost Not running

Database status
State Approximate #results
Ready to send 0
In progress 0

This is as of 7:15AM EST or GMT - 5 hours

Empty_5oul
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
they went back offline with the schedular :-(

Empty_5oul
03-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Mar 30, 2006
There's currently three issues preventing new work to be created. 1) The server software upgrade is taking much much longer than expected. 2) Our primary mirror has been offline for a day now. 3) The network connection to the main server has been less than stable recently.
I will keep you updated when things start to look a bit brighter. Sorry for the delay.
In the meantime I'd like to welcome another 150 users who have recently signed up.

Nflight
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Frustrating myself waiting for something that seems erratic at best. If it is not one thing that is not working it is something else. There SQL Server is offline at this moment, and since I am writing this I have yet to be able to download any work units, Much less connect to the project itself.

All that hype a week or so ago and now it is just sit and wait, Patience was never one of my strong points. :-(

NeoGen
04-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Yea, I guess they didn't think of the problems that could arise before making that announcement promising workunits soon.

Because of this, and also because when work is released at this project it is devoured in a matter of a day, sometimes less, when I catch the burp project with work I suspend *everything* and focus solely on burp. I know that by the next day everything will be gone and I'll be able to resume everything I had left off. :roll:

Nflight
05-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I have successfully attached to the project. But I have not been able to download any Work Units!

Just a heads up to everyone who had trouble like I did in the past !

NeoGen
05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
They seem to have new mirror software and a gateway unit, so at least the network problems part must be solved for now.

Now if only they'd make up some work... :roll:

Does anyone here have talent for 3D animations and uses Blender? I heard that if you have some wicked heavy animations you'd like to render, that you can submit to them for the project to render. :)

NeoGen
05-27-2006, 10:27 AM
BURP has got work! :D

Empty_5oul
05-27-2006, 10:49 AM
27/05/2006 11:47:10|BURP|Sending scheduler request to http://burp.boinc.dk/burp_cgi/cgi
27/05/2006 11:47:10|BURP|Reason: Requested by user
27/05/2006 11:47:10|BURP|Note: not requesting new work or reporting results
27/05/2006 11:47:40|BURP|Scheduler request to http://burp.boinc.dk/burp_cgi/cgi succeeded

how do i request work???? :?:

drezha
05-27-2006, 12:50 PM
You don't.

Thats just a BOINC message saying that it's connecting to the project to update stats etc but not downloading any work or uploading any.

You'll get messages like this when the scheduler wont get any work for the project because it's not due.

Use this program to find out your scheduler queues
http://www.boinc.dk/download.php?file=boincdv_v0306.zip
and this BOINC Wiki page for more info on why your getting the message...
http://boinc-wiki.ath.cx/index.php?title=Work_Scheduler

Empty_5oul
05-27-2006, 01:04 PM
i guess it was in debt then.

i have weird numbers set for the resource %'s. But i never use these, i always have only one project and set it to no new work and when thats all completed start a diff. project - i guess i mess up the schedular each time i do this manually.

AMD-USR_JL
05-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes!!! It's working. I've always wanted to BURP. Last time i tried i didn't have enough ram. This time BURP didn't eat all of it. It's SwEEtNeSS!

Evil-Dragon
05-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm BURP'ing as well... first time in months of waiting for work :D

Nflight
05-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Evil Dragon is in second place at this moment in RAC, That is a good thing I detached and reattached and cant't get any work units, thats a bad thing!

AMD-USR_JL is in 22md place, thats also a good thing! I am just in a bad situation. no Work for me!

Empty_5oul
05-27-2006, 07:52 PM
work has stopped flowing nflight :(
you will have to wait till next time.

AMD-USR_JL
05-27-2006, 08:33 PM
w00t! Now i'm in the lucky 13th spot. :D

NeoGen
05-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Their server page shows that there's another queued animation for rendering, the "175: BurpTest"
http://burp.boinc.dk/status.php
If you click on it you can see that it hasn't been processed yet.
Maybe we'll have a few more workunits in the next few days. :)

AMD-USR_JL
05-28-2006, 02:51 PM
There is another session cached (can't spell the Q'd word) called manta-one. It looks like Lego Snow Wars is holding everything up. It has been rendering for hours now.