PDA

View Full Version : Touch Sensitive Hologrpahic Keyboard

Nflight
03-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok I really want one of these baby's!

As seen on Coolest gadgets:
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060328/touch-sensitive-holographic-keyboard/#more-661

We’ve already discussed the anachronism that is the PC-102 button keyboard and its possible brainwave-activated replacement. Alas that was one gadget that won’t be ready for another 5 to 10 years, but this fantastic-looking, futuristic, touch sensitive keyboard is available now for £130 ($230); appropriately enough from http://www.Iwantoneofthose.com

I found this via softpedia, who described it as a holographic keyboard. But it’s not really a hologram; it’s just a projected display, but of course that’s like saying the Ferrari Enzo is “just a car”. Like the Enzo, this gadget looks terrific and can hook up to any Bluetooth enabled device, such as a PC, laptop, PDA etc. The QWERTY keyboard display is projected onto a non-reflective surface, and detects the exact location where you touch the keyboard, relaying the keystroke back to your computer.

The keyboard is portable too. It comes with its own case, is only 9 x 3.5 x 2.5cm in size, and can run for 120 minutes on batteries, or can use its own mains adaptor.

The manufacturers claim that it will work in a standard-lit room, but I’m sure you’ll agree that it looks best with the lights turned down low. Apparently there are sound-effects too, which has me drooling, I have to confess.

The virtual keyboard can operate at 400 keystrokes a minute, which is more than fast enough for this two-fingered hack, but could be an issue for some. Personally, I’d rather break my fingers to slow myself down a little, rather than miss out on having one of these!

drezha
03-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Read a review on that in a mag sometime ago and they said it was a gadget but no good at all because you'd accidently type mistakes.. :?

It works by your hand interupting the light...so they said...so some letter caused lots of errors... :?

Strongbow
03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I have had a quick go with one in an airport shop and really, really, really wanted it until I had a go! ...I found it a bit of a gimmick as it just wasn't accurate enough!

Ototero
03-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Believe or not guys, a friend at work was talking about one a couple on months ago. Then he brought it into work and showed it working.

It's brilliant. There are little tiny clicks generated as you touch the image.

It's accurate as well !

Nflight
03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
First I felt skeptical at posting it but Ototero proved that in real life, this gimmick is real!

Now if they could only make one that resembles a woman, and of course would give feedback as I touched her? :turn-l:

AMDave
03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
feedback like
"have you taken the rubbish out?"
"did you worm the dog yet?"
"I have a headache!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re the laser keyboard...the concept is truly great. The idea excited me when it was first demonstrated many many moons ago. It is interesting now to see that it never took off. It's not on sale in the shops. I don't have one and I don't know anyone else who does.

I don't understand why! No moving parts. It is solid state. It would last for years.....Oh! That's why! :lol:

Nflight
03-30-2006, 10:56 AM
NO Dave, NOt like that! I was hoping for cooing sounds, not honey have you taken the garbage out yet? Ba Humbug

If it doesn't have any moving parts of course it would fail because there are computers out there which have no electricity in them and do you think we hear about them, HELL NO! (Light powered prism switching systems).

SO if it would never break no one would ever have to replace it and in this society where no one repairs anything anymore. What the HELL you would be destroying our fervent wayof doing things. People would invest in long term replacement items and put everyone out of business. Once everyone had one of these in there household the companies would fold and go out of business!

Your right the human subject is a weird item to ponder!

I think the world would vanish as the "touch me woman" I proposed in my last post would ruin the human copulation and we would eventually die out. WHo would need the real thing as we humans could make one better and less irritable then the breathing ones that inhabit this planet. SO yes men would turn to a robot instead of the bickering humanoids who could continue the race. God I am getting long winded here! Humans would die off and no more robots, example the Planet MARS !

AMDave
03-30-2006, 12:59 PM
LOL - I celebrated an Anniversary yesterday. I couldn't resist :D

OK. I give. :)
But I'll settle for a robot that reminds me to put out the garbage.
...uh oh.
I said that one aloud and she heard me!

Now I'd REALLY better go and do it :roll: