PDA

View Full Version : When did you do your last backup?

AMDave
04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I just got through backing up 5 machines and realised it had been longer than I thought since I did my last backup.

So I was wondering:

When did you do your last backup?

Majestic-12
04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Yesterday :twisted:

AMDave
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Uh yuh. That should read
In the last week
In the Last Month
In the last Year
:D

vaughan
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Absolutely critical datafiles - as soon as I've printed them they get backed up to a flash drive and another computer locally and at least one in another State. Everything else - lives on the edge.

Empty_5oul
04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
i back up my music to external USB harddrive everytime i do anything there.

College work is all on my USB pen which every so often is completeley copied to my college storage space and my home machine.

the rest of my stuff generally isn't needed but i might put my pictures and my documents folder onto a DVD just in case.

NeoGen
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I live life on the edge... or at least in what concerns backups. :lol:

drezha
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I using Sync back to back up my Documents (minus my music and video files) to my other drive. (not sure if I use RAID or not...)

Anyhow that little lot gets backed upto CD every week ish. :cool:

My music is bit harder...now all my documents and most of my programs (deliberatly run as no registry programs so I can reformat and straight away use them on a new PC :D) are also stored on a 60Gb laptop drive in caddy.

Music and video sometimes backed up to DVD... :?

AMDave
04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Yesterday, when I posted this survey, I didn't think I'd be saying this:
Wow. I came THAT close !!!!

When I got home from work today my machines were all down.
We'd had a lightning storm while I was at work.
I got 4 machines back up and going but my workstation OS is shot.(Win$)
I am SO glad I did those backups yesterday.

My documents and DC files and photo library are all OK on backup.
I'll use Linux to strip out my email from what's left of the c-drive and then decide whether I want to risk Win$ again.
All the Linux machines recovered themselves perfectly.

If you haven't done a backup lately just ask yourself how much data you are willing to lose?
It takes just minutes and saves many hours of re-work and heartache (not to mention family upset :roll:)

This is one co-incidence I won't be forgetting very soon.
PHEW !

spikey_richie
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
That is quite spooky. Now I've read this thread, I think I'll do some backups now :D

Empty_5oul
04-04-2006, 03:21 PM
must have been quite a storm.

hope you can restore everything soon.

Keith75
04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I just back my files up to another hard drive in my machine. My really important files I also back up to DVD every few months.

BlackAdder
04-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I run two identical WD hard drives, operating system in one and progs and saved stuff ;) ;) on the other, the windows swap file is also on the second drive. :D

Ototero
04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I also have 2 identical drives. Any really valuable data is copied to the other drive. Then I backup to DVD and external HD (but not very often :oops: )

PcManiac
04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I live on the edge hehe

I finally got a DVD burner, so I suppose I should start using it, huh? :P

Jerod Vandehey
04-06-2006, 12:54 AM
I do backups automatically every night for the important files and probably once a year with norton ghost to dvd.

Dee
04-06-2006, 10:43 PM
As it happens I downloaded the backup program a week or two ago....but 2 days ago a powercut...I had been on at leat 1946, if not later...now back to basics and with a different program! :evil: Shouuld I be doing anything? :oops:

Empty_5oul
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
your learnt the hard way!

you should try the backup program. I havent used it myself but it sounds fairly simple. If you have any problems with it post them.

Dee
04-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Where is my backup from the program? :oops: