PDA

View Full Version : 1024 core processor!

Strongbow
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Yikes :eeeeek:

Worth a quick read, although it isn't aimed at us crunchers just yet...

http://www.rapportincorporated.com/

Nflight
04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I disagree that it isn't aimed at us quite yet. Imagine that you can get one of these systems for our Team effort. Look at the picture I see, lower electricity costs per month, lower heat output, and higher productivity. Of course it is exactly what we are looking for, just none of us can afford it.

Thanks Blackheath you just made my day!

NeoGen
04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Two things caught my eye on that site...

the Kilocore1025, which will feature 1,024 eight-bit processing elements together with a PowerPC(TM) core on a single, low-cost chip.
8bit?? Isn't that like the ancient spectrum machines? :shock:

And in the applications section it says...
Compared to a Pentium III (1.8GHz)
Computes 3x (300%) faster
Uses less than 1/200th the power

1024 cores and only 3x faster? :?

But on the other hand, I have to admit that the low power consumption is amazing.

Strongbow
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I meant to say it is not aimed at us crunchers as it is designed for high throughput with little in regards to calculus operations using floating point. Therefore it would probably be best suited for video decryption, scale out front end web services and with it's small power consumption mobile devices.

Still, it certainly is starting to be a good year for the multi-core, what with Sun's UltraSPARC T1 with up to 8 cores and 32 threads (a high throughput only chip as well), UltraSPARC T1+ coming soon, IBM's Cell processor and then the Quad core Opterons later this year (which really will be the Crunchers processor of choice!).