PDA

View Full Version : I was

Brucifer
04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
going to drastically cut down on my sieving, as the system babysitting was really getting into a major daily pain. Why all the baby sitting, so I could get the points up while that was going on -- me being the major stats whore that I am. So anyway, instead, I've taken Lar's suggestion and am experimenting with loading in larger ranges and spending less time dinking with the systems.

I pulled 3 XP-1800's off the active list, and put on in place a couple intels on llrnet, and then the new X2-3800. So my sieving production should hopefully remain the same and also now be able to keep 2 boxes on llrnet.

So my daily point thing isn't going to change much other than 3 or 4 times a month when I send in the completed larger ranges. :)

Ototero
04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
That'll frighten some people when you dump all the points. They'll think they might catch you :)

Brucifer
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL :) You know, I ought to do that and save points for like 3 or 4 months, then dump them............ But I'm afraid that would mess up Lar's stuff since they need the sieving results for reducing the work for llr, etc.

Hmmmm..... maybe I could secretly reserve a 20,000 range, and sieve in stealth mode..........

NeoGen
04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
And you even might find a prime and make sieving easier for everyone. :)

I wonder how nobody found another prime yet... it should be really close.

Brucifer
04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Yep, it would be nice if another prime was found, specially on the combined stuff as that is slower sieving than the other non-combined was. About the only way we gonna find one though is to get as many intel boxes running LLRNET as we can. Eventually something will pop up then. :)

AMDave
04-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Shhhhh!
I'wm Hwuntin' P'wimes
eheheheh.
:twisted:

by our stats, looks like we thought the same at the same time. Mind you, I can't match the introduction of your X2 back on seive unless I start borging servers from somewhere. Nice addition to the fleet BTW. I'll have to ponder on that for a bit.

Read of your hassles with the OS, did you try FC5? I' loaded it on my workstation yesterday and was quite surprised. NPs. Only afterthought was adding apps after install came from the net with no apparent option to load from the CDs / DVD until I got into the yum config files & changed the list of sources. Not a big problem. Just odd. Otherwise smooth and fast - like oysters kilpatrick :D

Brucifer
04-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm just not a fan at all anymore of RedHat. Loved them in their early days before they tried being the Microsoft of the Linux world. And then my FC experiences as compared to Suse left me favoring Suse. Of course now that Novell bought out Suse, and has started their OpenSuse thing (trying to imitate RedHat I guess), I can't say that I'm a fan of OpenSuse either.

I'm happy with the XP-64 install. It is running pretty well, and has been stable so far. I guess we will see as I'm just leaving it running to see how it stacks up with linux for long term stability.

I do seriously like the X2 very much. My only beef with them is that they will definitely make a dent in your wallet unless you are independently wealthy or your employer buys them for you.

But a few of those, and you have a serious farm in short order.

I am impressed with the newer chips promised for down the road this year and next. However, they are quickly getting very expensive and will be out of reach of the average Joe. And that will impact their bottom line, as there are a lot of civilians out there on this planet that buy their parts and assemble their own systems. :(

drezha
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Brucifer, you aren't wrong...

One of our major crunching team members at TPR recently cleared out his entire farm of 32 odd machine and replaced them with about 5 or 6 Opteron powered machine...

Expensive? Probably..these are server boards...two Opterons in each 4 CPU's :D

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_hosts.php
In fact, 6 of his machines are in the top 20 in Rosetta.
Oh and another 6 are owned by another of our big crunchers...Nightlord ;)

Brucifer
09-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Ah yes.... PSP. I think I'll start adding to my score a bit more as I've had a bit of a rest from the sieving. Maybe I can make it over the 10 meelion mark on that.

Brucifer
09-01-2006, 08:29 PM
One of our major crunching team members at TPR recently cleared out his entire farm of 32 odd machine and replaced them with about 5 or 6 Opteron powered machine...

Expensive? Probably..these are server boards...two Opterons in each 4 CPU's :D

yeah..... I was really drooling over the new stuff out there. That pretty little 4 processor mobo is a dandy, but I just don't have the grand plus to put in to buying the thing, let alone the cpus to boot.

But when I get to thinking this stuff is expensive, I remember way back when, when my first IBM XT with Taxan monitor, 10mb HD and printer cost me over $4,000. So in that perspective that 4-banger board fulla X2 procs isn't that expensive............. :) The biggest problem with that would be the flood damage to the house from all the tears when the mobo crapped out..... wouldn't that be a royal PITA. ???

But talk about some sieving!!! :)

Beerknurd
09-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!