PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home update

Strongbow
04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Just noticed that my oldest PC was sitting in the login intro screen. Apparently a day or so ago an automatic security update came down and forced it to reboot after it was installed :? ...it hadn't happended to any of my WinXP Pro systems though, so if you don't check your PCs often it may be worth just checking them now to see if they are OK.

NeoGen
04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
That happened to me some time ago... the lesson I took from it was to disable the automatic updates. :)
Now I only run the windows update before I'm forced to do a reboot. (Which is more often than I wish... damn buggy bluetooth drivers :?)

Strongbow
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
:roll: #-o OOps! it has now rebooted one of my XPPro systems! I'm not going to do very well in the AMDusers uptime league unless I listen to NeoGen in future!

:oops:

Ototero
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
The better option is to allow the downloads but always ask permission before installing. That way you remain in control.

NeoGen
04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I tried that too Ototero, but the damn thing is such a nag!! Every 15 minutes popping up a balloon saying "There are updates ready to install... click here to start". It was driving me nuts. :mad:

Then I tried letting it install but when it came to rebooting I cancelled and chose the option to reboot later.... not good either. It started nagging me again every 15 minutes, but this time saying something like "Windows needs to reboot to finish applying the updates. Click here to reboot."
And the best was that even after I had canceled a dozen times, the darn thing rebooted itself sometime later when I wasn't near the computer! It must have figured that since I wasn't there, I wouldn't mind! :evil:

That's when I decided to disable automatic updates for good... No way I'm gonna let my computer outsmart me! :twisted:

drezha
04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Believe I've seen somewhere else they release updates on the first tuesday of every month unless it's a critcal update.

I select the notify me to install...I install and reboot there and then. :)
gets it all out of the way :lol:

BlackAdder
04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I use www.autopatcher.com to get my windowz updates. I have never had a problem....yet :D