PDA

View Full Version : News from QMC

Lagu
04-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi

News:

April 7, 2006
Beta phase will be reached within the next 3 weeks: The screensaver is nearly ready and first tests with an improved calculation algorithm were also successful.

April, 2006
New workunits are out now! After calculations on adenine/thymine DNA base pairs we continue with cytosine/guanine DNA base pairs

Lagu :)

Nflight
11-03-2007, 08:30 PM
General issues:

QMC@HOME workunits have time, memory and diskspace requirements that are related to the size of the calculated systems. More demanding workunits will of course give accordant higher credit.

At the moment our workunits last 4-72 hours on a 2400 MHz system (Intel P4), we further work on our algorithms to get smaller workunits for a given system size. We will not distribute workunits which last longer than 3 days on a 2400 MHz system.

Input files are also related to system size, at the moment workunits are a few MB large. We will not distribute workunits bigger than 10 MB.

Our deadlines are (roughly) 2 weeks or 10 times the CPU time on a 2400 MHz System (whatever is higher).

We have variable checkpointing. At the moment we checkpoint after about every 5-20 minutes.

As our project is in beta test status we constantly adjust our plans to what is possible. Therefore some of the above may change in the production phase.

Time to completion numbers are only a guess on how long a workunit lasts, these numbers are constantly updated, but will almost always be to high. You can get a very good estimate of how long one of our workunits last, if you derive it from used CPU time and percent progress.

Credits:

Because of several complaints about cheating-attempts, we STOPPED to give out credits according to the standard BOINC system (see here (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/credit.php) for details). We assign every workunit series a FIXED CREDIT value according to a calculation on our reference system.

Frederic Brillouet
11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
qmc makes your system run hotter than mosst other projects by the way. thought i'd let you know

Lagu
11-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Can it be hotter than MoneyBee and WCG?:)

Frederic Brillouet
11-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Can it be hotter than MoneyBee and WCG?:)
i dont know, I can only relate it to DPAD, Malariacontrol, tanpaku, PiSegment